Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cali Topper Fitting Accessory

Cali-61-180-SE

Cali-61-180-SE

Hi,
I was missed my cali topper fitting accessory some ware in my last trip. it is a topper connector which is goes inside awning rail. I am attaching picture as well.

Can anyone help me where i get those one and how much the price approx.? I trying to Google it but i don't know the right name for. If anyone know the right name that would help me to find on internet.

I am really appreciate Please help me.

Thanks
JK

topperAttachment.jpg

Hi JK, PM me your address and I pop you one in the post :D

Cheers
Nick

Thanks Nick,

I really appreciate your help but I missed whole bunch of topper accessories which was in a packets so I need full set.
I am just wondering if you have whole set, if yes then please let me know the price of the whole set.

Thanks
J Kumar

Eek!

You don't want to be posting your address on here dude! That's why he asked you to pm your details.

You should edit this post :smile

Nick,
I've just sent you an email. I'm having the same issue as above (namely the fasteners for the topper (mine's a Muhtze but the principle is the same) won't slide into the awning rail on the offside of the van). Do you still supply a solution for this? If so can you let me know?
Cheers
Alison

Mine were tight at the rear on the nearside, but fine on the front of the same rail. I think a bit of fine adjustment on the plastic piece of channel at the end of the rail might help, the rear of mine is fractionally out of alignment.
Perhaps a bit of fine sandpaper to smooth off any sharp edges on the aluminium bit that slides up the channel.
Finally a bit of silicone spray might help.
I thought it was the alignment that was stopping it. On the offside you have no option to use the other end and slide it right the way through. Simon

Thanks Simon - the attached pics should explain it better. With the awning rail in place there simply isn't a slot in the rail where they should slide in as the awning rail uses it... so need to either shorten the awning rail, or have a different kind of fastening that goes into the awning rail...

IMG_0947.jpg

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0950.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Thanks Simon - the attached pics should explain it better. With the awning rail in place there simply isn't a slot in the rail where they should slide in as the awning rail uses it... so need to either shorten the awning rail, or have a different kind of fastening that goes into the awning rail...

View attachment 12306

View attachment 12307

View attachment 12308

View attachment 12309

View attachment 12310

Sorry, I'd misunderstood. Whose make is the awning? Mine is a VW fitted by my dealer and there is at least 80mm at the rear and 410mm at the front.
20160306_131105.jpg 20160306_131055.jpg
The clip only has to hold an elasticated cord reasonably firmly. I would think there is something you could do with a bungee hooked underneath the awning somewhere then passed through the loop from the Cali topper and then back to the awning again. Simon

The pictures don't show it very well, but the awning rail is fitted on the offside in the pics. If you look at jeet2UK's pic at the start of the thread you can see the rear end of it better - it doesn't give any space to slot the clip (pics 3 and 5). I can 'just' get one at the front but not at the rear offside (2nd pic).
You can also see in the pics that the nearside is sliding in nicely (1st pic)

I think I would probably ask Nick from Comfortz. He is a very practical & helpful man and if anyone can think of a solution, he will.
The length of the awning might be useful and the make. If it is a standard fitted one he will come across this problem quite a few times in the not too distant future.
If you could take some more pictures sometime without the snow and possibly wind the awning out a little bit so we can see what is under there on yours that could be used to hook onto.
Sorry I can't be more help. Simon

If you could take some more pictures sometime without the snow and possibly wind the awning out a little bit so we can see what is under there on yours that could be used to hook onto.

There is no wind out awning fitted to jeetu2k or AlisonFs Calis just an adapter strip to attach to a drive away awning which appears to fill the full length of the rail glued onto the Cali.

The adapter rail just needs a few inches cutting off to give some room for the topper attaching fasteners.

There is no wind out awning fitted to jeetu2k or AlisonFs Calis just an adapter strip to attach to a drive away awning which appears to fill the full length of the rail glued onto the Cali.

The adapter rail just needs a few inches cutting off to give some room for the topper attaching fasteners.
Yep, one fastener at each end will do.

Snowy55
Thank you! Do you know how to remove the awning adapter strip in order to shorten it? It seems pretty securely in place.

Having perused this thread and watched the Comfortz Leisure youtube video on how to fit the Cali-Topper I now realise that I need to have an additional awning rail fitted to our newly ordered Ocean. Is this something I should be ordering with VW before the vehicle is built or will I be able to get it done locally after delivery? You might say I'm just canvassing really.

Having perused this thread and watched the Comfortz Leisure youtube video on how to fit the Cali-Topper I now realise that I need to have an additional awning rail fitted to our newly ordered Ocean. Is this something I should be ordering with VW before the vehicle is built or will I be able to get it done locally after delivery? You might say I'm just canvassing really.
Panic not. Whether or not you have the VW awning rail fitted, or the awning attachment rail, it is still possible to fit the Cali topper. It just means on the drivers side (RHS in UK) you may need to slot something into the awning rail to attach the topper to (if you're set up is like mine without a VW awning).

Thanks Alison,
My set up will be the same as yours but I forgot to make it clear that I will need a rail on the nearside (passenger side). Or so I believe.

Last edited:
Thanks Alison,
My set up will be the same as yours but I forgot to make it clear that I will need an additional rail on the nearside (passenger side). Or so I believe.
That shouldn't be necessary - contact Nick or send me a PM. The near side is the easy one... !

@David Kennedy ,
On any California the awning rail is standard fit .
Thats where you slide the fastners in to attatch the elastics for the topper.

When a wind-out awning is fitted ( with brackets on the roofsection) you need a "connection" between the rail and the awning to make it waterproof and thats what is visible on @AlisonF picture .
This is a option!
If a awning or the Adaptor is fitted indeed you can only use two slide in screws to attatch the topper .
You can get yourself some suckers to go inbetween .
Hope this make sense to you.

@David Kennedy ,
On any California the awning rail is standard fit .
Thats where you slide the fastners in to attatch the elastics for the topper.

When a wind-out awning is fitted ( with brackets on the roofsection) you need a "connection" between the rail and the awning to make it waterproof and thats what is visible on @AlisonF picture .
This is a option!
If a awning or the Adaptor is fitted indeed you can only use two slide in screws to attatch the topper .
You can get yourself some suckers to go inbetween .
Hope this make sense to you.

Thank you hotel. I think I have confused myself. I thought that in order to secure the cal-top it needed to be attached to an awning rail on both sides of the vehicle and was trying to confirm if the second rail which would not be a standard fitment needed to be ordered from VW for fitting when the van is built. Or is it something I can easily get done after delivery? Sorry, I'm a bit OCD sometimes. I have not ordered the wind out awning.

The rail comes on both sides ....
Did you ever actually seen a Cali in real life? Suggest you just walk up the dealer or a meet ....:thumb

The rail comes on both sides ....
Did you ever actually seen a Cali in real life? Suggest you just walk up the dealer or a meet ....:thumb
Feeling rather inadequate now. Saw a real life California at the dealers in showroom and on test drive but never thought to look on passenger side for rail. Not something I had considered and knew nothing about the existence or possible requirement of cal-topper until coming on this site. Thanks for putting me straight. I can worry about something else now. lol

Last edited:
Feeling rather inadequate now. Saw a real life California at the dealers in showroom and on test drive but never thought to look on passenger side for rail. Not something I had considered and knew nothing about the existence or possible requirement of cal-topper until coming on this site. Thanks for putting me straight. I can worry about something else now. lol
@hotel california and @David Kennedy - I've just checked my original order. I did not order the wind out awning NOR did I order the awning attachment strip. The awning attachment strip, in my understanding, comes as standard when you haven't ordered the wind out awning (well it did for me !!).
However, there are two rails on the van automatically and this where you attach the topper pieces (as per my pics). The issue is the RHS where the awning attachment strip is in place (it comes supplied into the RHS rail mentioned above). Once it's there you can't fit the pieces into the rail, hence Nick provides small pieces of kador strip with holes in for using on that side.
Probably confused you both even more now... :headbang

@hotel california and @David Kennedy - I've just checked my original order. I did not order the wind out awning NOR did I order the awning attachment strip. The awning attachment strip, in my understanding, comes as standard when you haven't ordered the wind out awning (well it did for me !!).
However, there are two rails on the van automatically and this where you attach the topper pieces (as per my pics). The issue is the RHS where the awning attachment strip is in place (it comes supplied into the RHS rail mentioned above). Once it's there you can't fit the pieces into the rail, hence Nick provides small pieces of kador strip with holes in for using on that side.
Probably confused you both even more now... :headbang

Back