Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Fitting a cali topper solo

Autumn

Autumn

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I am getting my 2017 Cali this Wednesday and am very excited. I have bought it privately and it is coming with so many bits and pieces that will help set me up.
One of them is the winter pack with the cali topper and screen cover.
I am going solo on my trips, do you think it is possible to put a topper on, on your own?
I have looked at lots of youtube and they all show two people putting on any form of insulation.
Any ideas?

I am getting my 2017 Cali this Wednesday and am very excited. I have bought it privately and it is coming with so many bits and pieces that will help set me up.
One of them is the winter pack with the cali topper and screen cover.
I am going solo on my trips, do you think it is possible to put a topper on, on your own?
I have looked at lots of youtube and they all show two people putting on any form of insulation.
Any ideas?

I think I’ve always fitted my roofless topper solo. Pop the roof up a couple of inches, fit, then pop the whole roof up.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

As @Amarillo pop the roof up a bit, about a foot works for me. Unfold the Topper and throw it so it stretches down the roof towards the rear. Fit one front corner of the topper, then the other by opening the door and standing on the step. Then pull the rest of the fabric to the rear and fit both the rear corners. Pop the roof up. Then put the bungee cords on.
It is much easier with 2, especially if it is windy, but quite possible with 1.

Unless you can stand on something, I also think that the taller you are the easier you will find it.
I expect the roofless topper is easier to fit solo than the roofed topper. Using two people to fit the roofless topper might be a bit quicker, but it won't be any easier.

With the bike rack fitted, empty and raised I need to step onto the tow bar to fit the topper. I don't think it would be possible to properly fit the roofless topper with a loaded bike rack without using steps.

Like others have said, it is far easier if you have a step. I bought a step from bm home bargains. was only £4.99 and collapses when not being used.

A useful accessory for putting the topper on if you are short in stature would be the two part ladder the the shop sells for access to the roof bed.

Thank you so much for all the encouragement. It looks as though I can tackle the task with confidence, threading something through the eyelets seems to be a good way to go.
I love the really constructive answers on this site. Brilliant

i fitted my roofless one on my own in storm force winds in friday. I must admit it was a pain in the arse. I also carry a plastic folding step I bought from b and q . I am a short arse

20181013_123202.jpg