Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California 6.1 Ocean 2021 - what to lookout for?

M

majorbooboo

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hiya, I'm thinking of trading up from our 2014 California SE to a 2021 6.1 Ocean. I'd appreciate suggestions as to what I should check / look out for before I commit.

Service history, DSG needs changed at 40k but there was chat of it being on time interval too. It should have had a brake fluid change. Usual stuff like bellows damage, roof damage. Make sure it has the fly screens, tie down straps, child net, tool box with locking nut and tow bar (if fitted). It might have the small torch that fits in the 12v socket, door bin. Maybe gas bottle and gok valve? The manual should be in a decent holder- my new one is in a cardboard one! Make sure you get the remote and water keys. All the obvious things you know about but easy to forget.

Personally, in addition, I would ask for a full demo if the control panel functions, as any repairs or replacement can be very costly and any missing functionality would be a right bummer.

Personally, in addition, I would ask for a full demo if the control panel functions, as any repairs or replacement can be very costly and any missing functionality would be a right bummer.
Good idea as the control panel is quite different to the T5.

Helpful, the van I’m looking at is a 204 and I’m having doubts now as I’ve seen some -be stories re oil usage and get valves failing (whatever they are).

Helpful, the van I’m looking at is a 204 and I’m having doubts now as I’ve seen some -be stories re oil usage and get valves failing (whatever they are).
Had 204 for coming 1.5 years, no issues.
Look in the file / reference section for a document picking up an Ocean from New.
There is a lot of information in there.
If you can’t find it, ask again and il have a look

Hiya, I'm thinking of trading up from our 2014 California SE to a 2021 6.1 Ocean. I'd appreciate suggestions as to what I should check / look out for before I commit.
You may have already made a decision by now -it’s an expensive buy but will bring great pleasure. I bought 2021 California ocean t6.1 204 blue motion last august.

Minor problems : flat leisure and engine battery after not Using the camper for 2/3 weeks in January: called the Vw assist who recharged on site and was advised to use trickle charge when camper is not being used daily. Additional we were advised that some Recall software upgrade should have been carried out to the electrics that hadn’t advised. We booked it in our Vw garage - it was done and no problems since.

: AC/ heater in back passenger kept coming on Full blast when starting the engine - we could not switch off or turn down from the dashboard ( or we could but it then re-engaged itself) . the only way we could turn It off was to leave engine on and physically get out the car and turn it down manually. Thanks to checking threads on this site (thanks guys - great source of knowledge)! I discovered we had the sticky switch in the back passenger unit . I took it for its first Mot and reported the issue at the same time. The vw garage got authorisation to have the unit changed on warranty that same day (they had a unit in stock)! We were impressed to say the least but must be a common problem by the sound of things. ( they told us the unit was £600 — wouldn’t have been pleased if it was out of warranty!

Deisel heater: more complicated than it needs to be: didn’t work when we most needed it in January. I think it’s a bit complicated when you don’t know how basically. They give you a remote ( which we tried to use) all it did was complicate the settings. Again reading the threads and watching a video we managed to figure it out ourselves. The handbook is not that user friendly on this subject.

Obviously no problems with the mot and are thrilled to own the camper.

The good thing: from this camper van club I can see lots of people having various problems ( wouldnt that be the case with lots of techno vehicles)? But the mind of information on this site seem to be able to ‘fix’ most things and at least point you in the right direction! Isn’t that comforting at least?

I have a 2021 6.1 Ocean. There's a very common problem across Californias/Transporters (in fact much of VW's range) relating to the 'SOS' function. When I first got mine, on almost every journey I'd get a warning that the Emergency Call function had an error - message something along the lines of "Sos error emergency: call workshop". It's a right pain in the behind as it seems to knock out various other functions too. A software update by the dealer fixed it but I was told that in some cases a whole new SOS module is needed. If at all possible, check whether any 6.1 you're looking to buy has suffered from this issue and whether or not it's been fixed by the dealer. If it needs fixing out of warranty I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap - especially if a new SOS module is needed.

I have a 2021 6.1 Ocean. There's a very common problem across Californias/Transporters (in fact much of VW's range) relating to the 'SOS' function. When I first got mine, on almost every journey I'd get a warning that the Emergency Call function had an error - message something along the lines of "Sos error emergency: call workshop". It's a right pain in the behind as it seems to knock out various other functions too. A software update by the dealer fixed it but I was told that in some cases a whole new SOS module is needed. If at all possible, check whether any 6.1 you're looking to buy has suffered from this issue and whether or not it's been fixed by the dealer. If it needs fixing out of warranty I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap - especially if a new SOS module is needed.
We went back to the dealer numerous times with the SOS error. (Occurred every time we went round the M25 in either direction.)
We had software updates and also the unit replaced. In the end it was permanently fixed by replacing the aerial.

There’s a new van handover checklist in the Resources section of the forum. Link below. Hit ‘download‘ to get the Excel list. It’s very comprehensive so I suggest using this to make sure everything is in order, and ask for the camping functions be demonstrated.

Good luck!

We went back to the dealer numerous times with the SOS error. (Occurred every time we went round the M25 in either direction.)
We had software updates and also the unit replaced. In the end it was permanently fixed by replacing the aerial.
I think it was related to 4g and 5g masts. I had this issue in different VAG and it would happen in the same locations along my route (a lot along M25). In my case, software update fixed it. Most vans/cars will have it resolved by now.

There’s a new van handover checklist in the Resources section of the forum. Link below. Hit ‘download‘ to get the Excel list. It’s very comprehensive so I suggest using this to make sure everything is in order, and ask for the camping functions be demonstrated.

Good luck!
In hindsight, (and it sounds obvious) getting a proper handover is something we wish we'd done. We haven't had any problems with the van (we bought ours at approx 24 months old) but it would have been much easier than working things out for ourself over a period of weeks.

The reason we didn't is that we drove 200 miles from home to collect the van and it was a commercial dealer only open 9-12 on a Saturday and not Sunday, plus the dealer wasn't in that day. I'd already inspected it a few weeks previously so knew it was basically OK, but next time I'd buy elsewehere or take a day off work.

If the rear battery doesn't have the marked connection then you should make some sort a plan to monitor the cube fuse. This wiring mod occured sometime between MY19 and MY22.

Bat-pos.png

Back