Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California awning

A

Arnieardbits

Hello all,
I have just got hold of a california. It's just over a year old. The awning is quite noisy when driving on local roads, not to bad on motorways. I have tried sticking various bits of foam here and there but still noisy. Is this normal? Or should I go back to the dealer to get them to take a look? Thanks for any answers.

Martin

Hi Martin

We have a new Cali and our awning has just developed a rattle (I think that is where it is coming from), as you, on smaller, rougher roads. I tried winding it out and then "fully" back in again (i.e. Tight) which seems to help for a while, but I am assuming this is going to be a rattly item.

Interested to hear you have similar issues, and to hear other experiences / solutions.

So, no real answers here (sorry) just empathy ;)

Mark

I hate rattles . Only rattle from from awning was fixed by winding in fully. Our awning doesn't rattle since then so if yours does something else may be loose on it

Ok thanks both,
I'll have a further play. The legs seem to have lots of lose bits on. Not much I can do about that. It's due for service soon so I'll get the dealer to look.

Thanks again

We had a rattle, we drove along with one of us hanging out of the side window to find it, it was at the front end were the plastic end piece isn't rolled in far enough, we rolled it out about a foot then rolled back in, then gave a have twist at the end, not too much and that seemed to stop the rattle. So far so good. With anything that moves we are bound to develop rattles I suppose the fun is in tracking them down and resolving it.

Pollychops said:
We had a rattle, we drove along with one of us hanging out of the side window to find it, it was at the front end were the plastic end piece isn't rolled in far enough, we rolled it out about a foot then rolled back in, then gave a have twist at the end, not too much and that seemed to stop the rattle. So far so good. With anything that moves we are bound to develop rattles I suppose the fun is in tracking them down and resolving it.

Be very careful tightening the awning to stop rattles, I did this on mine & have stripped some teeth in the gearbox. No I did 't use a lot of force, I have always done this.
New gearbox from Omnistor is £75.

Hello all

Has anyone got the Omnister / Thule front Sun & Rain Blocker and / or the side panel. I'am thinking about this but just can't decide, any comments or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks Steve

Think most here who have panels for theire awning bought them at Comfortz , one of the the forum sponsors....see below.
I don't have any of those doh...so not more i can tell.

Hi Martin, welcome to the forum. :thumb

Make sure the legs are located correctly when stowed away, they should be held in by spring pressure, if not located correctly they could cause a rattle. Also, as others have said, if it's not would in properly it can rattle but I guess you would have checked that.

Colin.

Hello all

Has anyone got the Omnister / Thule front Sun & Rain Blocker and / or the side panel. I'am thinking about this but just can't decide, any comments or opinions would be welcome.

Thanks Steve

Steve, did you progress this? I am looking at a side and front only too. Comfortz only seem to do their own full awning anyway so not suitable for me.

Tom

The side one zips around the awning arm and the front one slides into the awning channel under the front flap of the wind out awning the can be angled out a bit for extra space

We have the same ones that kev is talking about, you only lose a few inches and you can angle them to get more room if you wish.