Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Noisy awning

pjm-84

pjm-84

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Non stop rattling. It driving me batty:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang. Anyone else have this issue?:help

I just cant seem to pinpoint the rattle. I can wind the awning out a few inches and it still rattles. This replacement awning is starting to really wind me up. (No pun intended)

Mini - no noise
Phev - no noise
13yr D3 - no noise

2.5yr old VW California. Rattles galore, awning, side door, creaking rear suspension. I suspect more but its like the VW Symphony Orchestra on my side.

Non stop rattling. It driving me batty:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang. Anyone else have this issue?:help

I just cant seem to pinpoint the rattle. I can wind the awning out a few inches and it still rattles. This replacement awning is starting to really wind me up. (No pun intended)

Mini - no noise
Phev - no noise
13yr D3 - no noise

2.5yr old VW California. Rattles galore, awning, side door, creaking rear suspension. I suspect more but its like the VW Symphony Orchestra on my side.

I guess your Mini, Phev and D3 does not carry extra tables, chairs, kitchen, cutlery, etc ;-)

There is only one thing to do - go rattle hunting. We have close to zero rattles. Start with the awning. Roll it a little out. I promise it is the small square pads inside that has moved or gone lost. Relocate or replace.

Rear suspension just needs some exerzise.

And so on … good hunting!

Check the positions of the soft pads, where the awning arms meet the inside of the housing..... These slip down, then you get a rattle, as metal-meets-metal..... The square soft-pad, if correctly positioned, mitigates this.

Roll the awning out 60com, and check positions of the pads.

Tackle one creak/rattle at a time. You will get there. I bought my Cali new a year ago and only now am I reasonably happy but I fear it is a lifelong quest as some of them do recur. I use a mixture of felt/rubber pads, velcro and candle wax! (I know sounds rather freaky but needs must!!).

Only problem I have not had is creaking rear suspension, the rest I have fixed so far!

Good luck.

Pads are still in the right place. However If I wind the awning out it still rattles and it seems related to the awning spindle. Drive it and its like having a maracas constantly going off beside your ear.

I've give it a run up to Wales this weekend. I'll silicon the side door rubber, and probably remove and refit the awning.

Creaking suspension I can probably sort once I get under the vehicle. I suspect its a dry bush.

Not currently enjoying the drive. At the least the dash rattles have stopped or maybe they are drowned out with the current noise levels.

I guess your Mini, Phev and D3 does not carry extra tables, chairs, kitchen, cutlery, etc

I haven't included those rattles because that wouldn't be comparing like with like. Maybe I'm being harsh including the awning within the list.

How many miles has the California done?

Had my california for 8 months now. Was 3 years old when I bought it. Our dashboard rattles were due to five pens from previous owner having fallen down gap between windscreen and dash. Pens removed and now I have a rubber strip to stop stuff falling in there. My awning rattles and I have moved pads etc. I think I have now finally just accepted this as part of the vans character!

My awning was replaced under warranty recently. It rattles like the old one did not. I have checked the rubber pads, when folding back in I put a flannel around the ‘elbow’ joints on the arms just as it disappears into the case.
I have cable tied the closed awning and this made no difference so it is inside.
I have now got used to it and have given up. Will watch this one with interest. Perhaps fill the casing with expanding foam? (I am not really advocating this but it has been seriously considered!!)

My awning isn´t on at the moment but i still have the rattling sound.

^ If you filled the casing with expanding foam, it might
stop the rattling but your awning wouldn´t wind out.

23k miles

I drive my D3 more and use the Cali less. Hence I'm not use to the noise

23k miles

I drive my D3 more and use the Cali less. Hence I'm not use to the noise
Almost 3 x that in 3 yrs and the only rattles I get are when I've mispacked something.
Are you sure it is the awning ?. Probably the only way to confirm is to drive without it on.

New awning.

VW have had a few with the same rattling issue. They don't know what it is either so just replace. 100m drive was enough to confirm the issue.

At risk of the obvious: my awning rattles unless I wind it in tightly enough. After a long day's drive over rough roads it sometimes slackens off enough to start rattling again - then needs a quarter turn on the crank to make it shut up.

Nope, its apparently an issue. My dealer has changed a few. Was content with the short drive and actually manage to "pluck" the awning when we returned reproducing the noise. I'm convinced its in the awning spindle.

If you leave the vehicle for 5min the "energy" seem to dissipate and you are unable to reproduce the noise until you start driving again. Kinetic?

Its more like a frantic Morse code message rather then maracas

We had a very similar thing happening with our awning continuous rattling noise at first the dealer refused to change it so I took him out for a drive and within 10 minutes he asked me to turn back I ended up getting a new awning guess what six months down the line it did the same thing in the end while we were up in Liverpool we popped in to VW and explain the situation one of their technicians came out to have a look went for a test drive came back he then rolled out the awning completely and then wound it back in and a presto no noise whatsoever from that day could not believe it. :)

Didn't work. However interestingly the spindle rattles when the awning is fully extended. Wound the awning back in the noise was there with a vengeance . Manage to continually rattle the awning along its full length by lightly sweeping back and forth across it with my fingers.

I think I'll take the D3 to Wales, just for my sanity.

Hi PJM

I too was getting fed up of the awning rattle.
I have found that a small 30cm strip of pipe insulation trimmed to fit and positioned to overlap where the feet
go together in the middle is quite effective at reducing rattle.
After fitting,just ensure that the awning winds in and the protective cover does shut completely and that should help greatly. If it doesn't shut fully use a sharp blade and trim the pipe insulation a bit more and repeat till its a tight fit but the cover shuts fully.
Cheap easy fix !

Mini - no noise
Phev - no noise
13yr D3 - no noise

IMO. I too found the awning horribly rattly. Now have a near silent awning where only the worst of pot holes will remind you it's still there. After lots of experimenting on how to keep it schtum I ended up using something like this:
https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Ir...02/Stormguard+Extra+Thick+Weatherstrip/p39239 inside
On my awning I'd say 80% of the noise came from the legs. Went sticking short lengths along the section where the legs fold up to and inside the lid of the awning so when it closes the foam pushes/ holds the legs on two sides (ish). Pay particular attention to the top / outer ends of the legs as the hinge part can rattle a lot too. I ended up wrapping a length of said rubber foam all the way around the top of the leg to hold it securely within the awning. Added some strips next to the rubber pads at the back of the casing and several more anywhere I could see contact between two parts had been or could be made. It's trial and error but just keep closing the awning and give it a really good thump or two from underneath to hear if any rattles are still there. It really can be made near silent and that equals greater driving pleasure.

Inside the van I've systematically eliminated all major rattles. On rough roads or hitting pot holes I'd guess the rattle volume is now only about 10-20% of what it used to be. There must be upwards of 70 bits of foam rubber and felt pads pushed into or stuck between thing that used to rattle. One way to find them is just play the "Can you hear where that rattling is coming from?" game with passengers on long journeys. It's hours of fun for all the family, it's kind of like the Cali version of I spy with my little eye.

Hope that is of some help.

Being replaced tomorrow morning under warranty. I will let you know how the new one goes.

As mentioned its an issue with the awning. They don't know why some make the noise and other don't. They have already replaced a few. An 100m test drive was sufficient to establish the issue.

Bliss.

To be frank now that the temperature jumped up the awning noise was somewhat muted and acceptable on the way down to Breeze this morning. It was like the volume was turned down by 90%.

Return journey was considerably better though.

Didn't work. However interestingly the spindle rattles when the awning is fully extended. Wound the awning back in the noise was there with a vengeance . Manage to continually rattle the awning along its full length by lightly sweeping back and forth across it with my fingers.

I think I'll take the D3 to Wales, just for my sanity.
I finally solved the problem by turning down my hearing aids three notches, she now purrs along!