Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Beach recall

CALI FATE

CALI FATE

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I just heard VW are recalling all the T5 and T6 RHD Beaches - they want to find out whats making them so popular ....... haha i have done over 8000 miles in 3 months in my Beach - my VW finance contract limit is 10000 miles per annum - looks like i will have to keep it and pay off the balloon

You must be loving it driving 8000 miles in 3 months. I'm usually 8000 a year in my car. I'm anticipating a step up in mileage when I eventually get my beach.

I am proving a point to myself that a Beach can be a car for everyday use - i couldnt justify the cost if it was going to sit on the drive. yesterday a business trip up north over 400 miles it returned 43 mpg - cant fault it and yes i enjoy driving it

I'm still waiting on mine :(

If all goes well we should take delivery mid May :) :)

Great to read posts from Beach owners loving their vans.

I should be a Beach owner by Friday afternoon! Looking forward to getting on the road!
Then the real fun starts working out what bits you need to buy - little clever mods and additions - what to keep in the van tea / coffee making / machete / swiss army knife / matches / tarp - how you store it - systems for quick overnight / weekend getaways / hols - i know this is a bit controversial, but i reckon its a real bloke / shed thing - i bet all bloke cali owners have a shed or man cave and the van is their mobile shed

I definitely think it's a mobile man cave thing! I am looking forward to seeing what goes where. I was thinking behind the table for my machete but was concerned it would look like I was trying to hide it, should the Police ever search the vehicle. So many dilemmas!

Then the real fun starts working out what bits you need to buy - little clever mods and additions - what to keep in the van tea / coffee making / machete / swiss army knife / matches / tarp - how you store it - systems for quick overnight / weekend getaways / hols - i know this is a bit controversial, but i reckon its a real bloke / shed thing - i bet all bloke cali owners have a shed or man cave and the van is their mobile shed
Nothing blokey about that. I'm definitely a girl! I've loved working out what to get (and what to get rid of). I've even written an article about it (though I have to say that the list is always being tweaked as I find out more about what works, and for different kinds of trip).
Our Beach is always loaded up ready for action, but it's our everyday car too.

:thumb
Nothing blokey about that. I'm definitely a girl! I've loved working out what to get (and what to get rid of). I've even written an article about it (though I have to say that the list is always being tweaked as I find out more about what works, and for different kinds of trip).

Many Beaches are daily drives. It's why it's such a fantastic and unique vehicle. It's a lot more useful than the SE and why more and more buyers are heading towards the Beach camp.
I think if you wanted something solely for camping, a proper motorhome would be a better purchase and more practical for its purpose.
We have run our Beach as our daily driver for over 3 years and it's unbelievable useful.
People mover, campervan and luggage loader all in one package. Great for the school run and come half term you can simply drive off and camp in it for two weeks. We leave most of our camping gear in the van with the exception of bedding. Purely as I like to wash it after each trip. But only takes 5 minutes and it's back in.

I'm sure you will figure out what you need the more you use the van. These days we really do camp with very little these days and found half the stuff we used to pack, rarely if ever got use. But I'm sure you will figure out for yourself what works for you, as everyone has different needs.

Enjoy:thumb

:cool:

Last edited:
I think if you wanted something solely for camping, a proper motorhome would be a better purchase and more practical for its purpose.
Sorry, but must "Disagree" on this point. I do not wish to travel with the HGV's or have to park up with them when visiting places here and abroad. There are only 2 of us and so our SE is my daily drive , my wife has here own vehicle, and our Leisure vehicle. Anything bigger and it would be impractical to use on a daily basis and I, personally, do not like having a vehicle depreciating on the driveway not doing what it was designed to do.
I've had large MPV's in the past that could be converted to sleep in etc: and they were fantastic for our family of 7 but now there are only 2 of us the SE/Ocean is perfect ticking all the boxes just as your vehicle does for you. A Motorhome would just not be practical for us.

Thanks for useful article. Like your recipes. Enjoy reading the campfire mag .
We have opted for the "Kitchen"but your article did make us question our choice before we ordered.
See the merits of both. It will be our second vehicle. Selling my 9 yr BMW:(.

Many Beaches are daily drives. It's why it's such a fantastic and unique vehicle. It's a lot more useful than the SE and why more and more buyers are heading towards the Beach camp.

SE/Ocean owners don't like to be reminded that they've bought the wrong van ;) lol

:Grin:Grin:D:Grin:Grin:embarrased:D

I totally agree that the beach is a fantastic multipurpose vehicle, but I don't agree that it's 'a lot more useful than the SE'; my SE is my only vehicle and gets used for everything from the daily commute to shopping and dog trials, as well as being ready to camp at the drop of a hat.

I don't think you have to hate on one to love the other - share the love around :Grin

I totally agree that the beach is a fantastic multipurpose vehicle, but I don't agree that it's 'a lot more useful than the SE
For him and other Beach owners it is, same as Ocean/SE is more useful for their owners.

Last edited:
Gentlemen, I realise you may see the posts as 'jaunty banter' but to others they can be perceived as childish, rude and offensive. If a newcomer was looking at the forum then I can quite expect they would be put off. That is not what we are about?
You may not personally be concerned. However, please bare in mind that as members we are lucky to get discounted with quite a few manufacturers and suppliers on the forum.
If I was one of those then I would seriously be considering my association with the forum based on the negative petty and egotistical banter. Which in turn would mean the rest of us don't get the benefits, all for the sake of a few guys who can't don't seem to be able to grow up.
So please will the moderators either sort these chumps out or we all will lose out.

This is the "Chat" forum. So if you wish to censor my comments , so be it. No more from me, at all.

Last edited:
Moderator can we have a blokes banter area so we can do our jaunty stuff without the calitaliban getting offended - cheers

Gentlemen, I realise you may see the posts as 'jaunty banter' but to others they can be perceived as childish, rude and offensive. If a newcomer was looking at the forum then I can quite expect they would be put off. That is not what we are about?

So please will the moderators either sort these chumps out or we all will lose out.

Well said.
It is in the rules that there should be respect and good manners. Disagree by all means but please be courteous as as a newcomer to the forum I would like us all to get on.

Thanks chaps - as an engineering manager in the oil industry - I can assure you I have come across a lot and personally it takes a whole lot to offend me (and many of the older ones do their level best to make me blush). But my point here is this is the place where many new folk come for info and there have been or two new posters recently that have been replied to by quite astounding replies (from all camps of VW owners). If you were to do that in your line of work then you should expect to be disciplined, in fact I would have sought to sack some senior posters here. So, yes, I agree this is your personal life and you are not at work and you are and should be allowed to express your opinion freely. But if you don't do it respectfully then you should expect to be expelled by the moderators. And that is also what I expect the moderators to uphold.
And as GJ says, I'll now pack my bags...

Back