Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the verge of ordering....eeek

TPMS is a must IMO if you want to keep an eye on the pressure to avoid running low and increase fuel consumption.
virtual cockpit is also great, you just realise when using it, and includes Discover Media with larger screen, important.
all the discussion with the Sport Pack would be sorted out if you would have in UK as the rest of Europe does, unfortunately you don't for no obvious reason, the Edition Pack which comes with all the black accents including a black roof, and can be ordered with 17" wheels including spare, that could be vital at some point.
heated screen used twice a year for defrosting, but also good for mist up and condensation.
and soft close sliding door, huge add.

I’ve only had my Ocean for 3 weeks but love it and no regrets, despite stepping in at the deep end like OP. Not sure of the cost, but the option I wish I’d considered is the powered rear door, it’s very heavy and would benefit from opening and closing at the press of a button. We specced the heated front screen which I have found useful during the recent cold snap (live in Scotland) as it clears the front window in minutes few perfectly. Personally I don’t see the point of the wood effect flooring as the first thing you’ll do is buy mats to cover it up.

It’s nice to have the options list, a minefield if you ask other people what you should have and not have. But it’s good to voice opinions.
Understand about the wood effect floor.
But for us, in summer when flip flops and bare feet, the wood floor just gives it that pop of campervan feel, rather than panel van feel.

Hi, just on the verge of ordering our first ever Cali. Very excited albeit a bit of a step into the unknown although done a lot of research and this site has been awesome. Looking at an Ocean with the following extras, removable tow bar, 4 keys, mud flaps, tyre pressure monitoring, comfort mattress, shower. In Ascot Grey, Also considering the Sports pack as I think the black wheels will set off the Ascot Grey brilliantly, just not fully clear on what the rest of the sports pack offers. Any obvious omissions?
i would keep the mattress nothing wrong with it you do not have to inflate /deflate it and put a 80 liter fuel tank on the list .go aftermarket for the towbar.

It’s nice to have the options list, a minefield if you ask other people what you should have and not have. But it’s good to voice opinions.
Understand about the wood effect floor.
But for us, in summer when flip flops and bare feet, the wood floor just gives it that pop of campervan feel, rather than panel van feel.
Absolutely spot on! As you say some really good opinions that make you think but ultimately so many different/individual opinions. Re wood effect floor, get what you mean about the floor but I've hear a couple of negative opinions re durability, scratches etc (California Chris being one of them). Bearing in mind we'll be either going away for cycling or taking the dog I'd hate to see it scratched. Think. we'll stick with the standard but get some washable carpets. Thanks for the input.

I'd say get the uncomfort. Helps resell and we use it under the other mattresses we have as a base. As such it works and at a pinch it's fine for a single night away when travelling light.

We have the shower, never use but happy with it - one day we'll clean some boots off!

TPM - it comes with std TPM, I'd question if you need the actual numbers.

Agree with others on mud flaps - we bought some sleaker ones for 25 and fitted myself.

Those with sports love it.

Those with bigger screens love it.

We'd have got tow and 4x4 but when we ordered it was an extra 3 months on an already year wait. Wish we had.
Totally agree re the mattress. Keep the VW comfort. Provides a great base for, in our case, our Duvalay mattresses with integral duvet cover. We use them upstairs and down. Perfect solution.

TPMS is actually very useful contrary to other opinions on here from people that dont have it. Standard TPMS will only tell you when you have a problem whereas proper TPMS with sensors shows variations of actual pressures all the time. I wonder how often the naysayers actually check their tyres

For the relatively small cost, traffic sign recognition is useful. I would say although it is a big expense, the Pro Media with the bigger screen is worth it. Don’t expect decent audio without upgrading speakers however.

I do agree the shower is a bit pathetic and even with a dog we have not really used it. You end up with a dog that is still dirty and most likely shaking off muddy water on your interior. Better to take towels/mats/dog bed for a quick clean up and hose the dog off when you get home. In my experience.

Have a think about how to secure the dog when traveling. You can get an anchor that goes in the rear seat slide rail.

Uncomfort mattress is a waste of money. Get a Brandrup or an S2S for a remotely comfortable sleep. Possibly with a topper as well.

I would get the factory mudflaps next time, our aftermarkets are ok but dont look as good. If you are sticking with 17” wheels pay the small amount extra for 235 all season tyres.

Everyone has their own opinions of course. Hope this helps!

TPMS is actually very useful contrary to other opinions on here from people that dont have it. Standard TPMS will only tell you when you have a problem whereas proper TPMS with sensors shows variations of actual pressures all the time. I wonder how often the naysayers actually check their tyres

For the relatively small cost, traffic sign recognition is useful. I would say although it is a big expense, the Pro Media with the bigger screen is worth it. Don’t expect decent audio without upgrading speakers however.

I do agree the shower is a bit pathetic and even with a dog we have not really used it. You end up with a dog that is still dirty and most likely shaking off muddy water on your interior. Better to take towels/mats/dog bed for a quick clean up and hose the dog off when you get home. In my experience.

Have a think about how to secure the dog when traveling. You can get an anchor that goes in the rear seat slide rail.

Uncomfort mattress is a waste of money. Get a Brandrup or an S2S for a remotely comfortable sleep. Possibly with a topper as well.

I would get the factory mudflaps next time, our aftermarkets are ok but dont look as good. If you are sticking with 17” wheels pay the small amount extra for 235 all season tyres.

Everyone has their own opinions of course. Hope this helps!
Agree with all of this except that shower. I’ve heard people say that you’re wasting water but whatever you have, you need to fill it. It’s been a great addition for us. If they shake off muddy water they would still if you’d used another method. We have used the shower loads.

Hi, just on the verge of ordering our first ever Cali. Very excited albeit a bit of a step into the unknown although done a lot of research and this site has been awesome. Looking at an Ocean with the following extras, removable tow bar, 4 keys, mud flaps, tyre pressure monitoring, comfort mattress, shower. In Ascot Grey, Also considering the Sports pack as I think the black wheels will set off the Ascot Grey brilliantly, just not fully clear on what the rest of the sports pack offers. Any obvious omissions?
The key about options is knowing when to stop. We would have loved 4 motion and a tow bar but you have to draw the line somewhere. Options are also very subjective to the person. For example, I find the comfort mattress very comfortable. I also think the VW mud guards are a must. Others hate them. Pick what you think is important and get out and enjoy your van.

I would agree about knowing when to stop. I would have specced 4 Motion, acoustic pack, sign recognition, high beam assist etc etc. All nice to haves (4 Motion is need to have for some - skiers & swampers come to mind). But none will stop you enjoying the van if you don’t have them.

My logic, for what it is worth, the Cali (Ocean for me) is so well specced standard you can’t go wrong.

To my simple mind, I think about basic day to day need and things I couldn’t add aftermarket better or cheaper.

Tyres, wheels - huge aftermarket choice & better value & options out there. Forget the all season, VW supplied aren’t great. But do opt for the 235 as opposed to stock 215. Basically car tyres vs commercial van tyre profile.

Shower - tons of aftermarket options. I think the unpressurised trickle from VW is an expensive afterthought. I understand dog owners may differ.

Mattress - Calibed or Brandrup iXtend or myriad inflatable options.

Traffic sign recognition. My BMW 330e dad wagon has this, it’s occasionally useful, but often wrong. Sometimes alerts me I’m speeding. Mostly I turn it off on the HUD. Consider this, if you rely on it and it’s incorrect, then it has failed! You won’t miss it.

Ditto high beam assist.

My biggest regret, but also relief for my wallet is 4Motion.

I would agree about knowing when to stop. I would have specced 4 Motion, acoustic pack, sign recognition, high beam assist etc etc. All nice to haves (4 Motion is need to have for some - skiers & swampers come to mind). But none will stop you enjoying the van if you don’t have them.

My logic, for what it is worth, the Cali (Ocean for me) is so well specced standard you can’t go wrong.

To my simple mind, I think about basic day to day need and things I couldn’t add aftermarket better or cheaper.

Tyres, wheels - huge aftermarket choice & better value & options out there. Forget the all season, VW supplied aren’t great. But do opt for the 235 as opposed to stock 215. Basically car tyres vs commercial van tyre profile.

Shower - tons of aftermarket options. I think the unpressurised trickle from VW is an expensive afterthought. I understand dog owners may differ.

Mattress - Calibed or Brandrup iXtend or myriad inflatable options.

Traffic sign recognition. My BMW 330e dad wagon has this, it’s occasionally useful, but often wrong. Sometimes alerts me I’m speeding. Mostly I turn it off on the HUD. Consider this, if you rely on it and it’s incorrect, then it has failed! You won’t miss it.

Ditto high beam assist.

My biggest regret, but also relief for my wallet is 4Motion.
Something I forgot, CarPlay will alert you to speed cameras, so sign recognition that little bit less useful.

Anyway, it’s a camper, you don’t need to be driving like a car thief.

Something I forgot, CarPlay will alert you to speed cameras, so sign recognition that little bit less useful.

Anyway, it’s a camper, you don’t need to be driving like a car thief.
True, I only use Waze, as it’s the best sat nav.
Alerts me to pot holes and speed cameras.

Everyone is going to have differing opinions on what's essential, I've ordered a second van in 12 months, this time I didn't go with the mattress as others have said it's uncomfortable to me, the outdoor revolution self inflating one is loads more comfortable and about a third of the price! I also ordered art velours as the cloth seats stain terrible and I hate seat covers, also added the sports pack as it looks cool,and I had acoustic pack before the heated screen is nice,and went with the shower this time as I could of used it a couple of times last year

Hi @fezzer, we all love the ‘What spec van should I order’ posts (plus ’What must have accessories‘ for my new van)! Typically there is one or more new threads per month on these subjects, so LOTS of searching and reading if you have the heart.

Each new / prospective owner has their own use agenda and plans, different family and pet combos, and style preferences. So the truth is - sort out in your own mind what you really value (and can afford!). But as a summary…

Tow bar - needed if towing, handy for certain bike racks v boot mounted bike rack cheaper.
Mud flaps (highly discussed, many opinions!) - factory fit set provide an 8-piece installation that doesn’t cause secondary damage and are effective v much cheaper non VW flaps on eBay v mud flaps look horrible v mud flaps cause corrosion issues.
18” versus 17” - 18” look stylish v no spare wheel for 18” and 17” tyres are cheaper.
Tyre pressure monitoring TPMS system - great to see live pressure data v standard pressure warning system is adequate and TPMS sensors can go wrong.
Comfort mattress - its useless so buy a S2S or other self inflating mattress v comfort mattress is fine and self inflating mattresses are a pain to deflate.
Shower - best thing for washing dogs paws and walking boots v got one and never used it once.

Sports pack - that’s almost purely a cosmetic thing, apart from wheels are painted not diamond cut, and acoustic pack.

Other items that are often discussed with strong views one way or another…
Larger fuel tank - usually not needed v great for long trips between fuelling abroad (or in the wilds)
Flooring - wood effect looks great v vinyl/rubber floor hard wearing
Heated front screen - very useful for quick getaways v use the diesel heater v heated screens crack.
Art velour seats - better stain resistance than standard seats v just buy second skins.
2nd bench seat drawer - good to store more stuff v the gap is useful to carry long items.
Sat nav Pro - large clear displays and no knobs v waste of money, standard is fine / like the knobs on standard.

About the only thing (most) people agree with - the 4 key option is good to have.

Your choice!

Hi @fezzer, we all love the ‘What spec van should I order’ posts (plus ’What must have accessories‘ for my new van)! Typically there is one or more new threads per month on these subjects, so LOTS of searching and reading if you have the heart.

Each new / prospective owner has their own use agenda and plans, different family and pet combos, and style preferences. So the truth is - sort out in your own mind what you really value (and can afford!). But as a summary…

Tow bar - needed if towing, handy for certain bike racks v boot mounted bike rack cheaper.
Mud flaps (highly discussed, many opinions!) - factory fit set provide an 8-piece installation that doesn’t cause secondary damage and are effective v much cheaper non VW flaps on eBay v mud flaps look horrible v mud flaps cause corrosion issues.
18” versus 17” - 18” look stylish v no spare wheel for 18” and 17” tyres are cheaper.
Tyre pressure monitoring TPMS system - great to see live pressure data v standard pressure warning system is adequate and TPMS sensors can go wrong.
Comfort mattress - its useless so buy a S2S or other self inflating mattress v comfort mattress is fine and self inflating mattresses are a pain to deflate.
Shower - best thing for washing dogs paws and walking boots v got one and never used it once.

Sports pack - that’s almost purely a cosmetic thing, apart from wheels are painted not diamond cut, and acoustic pack.

Other items that are often discussed with strong views one way or another…
Larger fuel tank - usually not needed v great for long trips between fuelling abroad (or in the wilds)
Flooring - wood effect looks great v vinyl/rubber floor hard wearing
Heated front screen - very useful for quick getaways v use the diesel heater v heated screens crack.
Art velour seats - better stain resistance than standard seats v just buy second skins.
2nd bench seat drawer - good to store more stuff v the gap is useful to carry long items.
Sat nav Pro - large clear displays and no knobs v waste of money, standard is fine / like the knobs on standard.

About the only thing (most) people agree with - the 4 key option is good to have.

Your choice!
A great summary of how everyones perfect spec is always the one they have and not the one you have or want.

We got our Coast two years ago in Ascot Grey and still receiving positive comments. Even got one in the golf club car park this afternoon!

My experience of speed limit / traffic sign recognition systems in various vehicles is that they’re quite unreliable, and coupled with active cruise control that responds to traffic signs, can be dangerous. Some pick up the limit on an adjacent road, if there’s no speed signs visible as on a lot of country roads they default to 30 mph, so get used to overspeed warnings. I’ve had the 80 kph sign on the back of lorries recognised too. But the absolute worst was the vehicle deciding that the 50 mph sign it had was actually 50 kph and slamming the anchors on. I often get the vehicle saying one limit, sat nav saying something else, and both different to the actual posted speed limit. Mark one eyeball watching the physical signs by the side of road is the best way

My experience of speed limit / traffic sign recognition systems in various vehicles is that they’re quite unreliable, and coupled with active cruise control that responds to traffic signs, can be dangerous.
In this case your experience is of absolutely no relevance to the traffic sign recognition in a Cali.
There is no link between the recognition system & the adaptive cruise so no chance whatsoever of the van deciding to brake because of the wrong interpretation of signage.

I find it very useful when abroad in particular.

I used to use Waze exclusively, was much better than Apple Maps. But the integration of CarPlay with BMW iDrive is great.
Correct, I use a cable connected iPhone with apply CarPlay. So can use all the car functioning apps on the main discover media pro.
Don’t ever use the Bluetooth CarPlay.
It’s slow, crashes and not fit for porpoise’s ;)

A great summary of how everyones perfect spec is always the one they have and not the one you have or want.
I wish I’d got Art Velours, so my perfect spec isn’t the one I’ve got. Suspect most people have a twinge about an option they got but never use, or hovered over when ordering and they wish they’d gone for it…

I wish I’d got Art Velours, so my perfect spec isn’t the one I’ve got. Suspect most people have a twinge about an option they got but never use, or hovered over when ordering and they wish they’d gone for it…
*in general

Correct, I use a cable connected iPhone with apply CarPlay. So can use all the car functioning apps on the main discover media pro.
Don’t ever use the Bluetooth CarPlay.
It’s slow, crashes and not fit for porpoise’s ;)

We use wireless carplay all the time without any issues…but it’s a Kenwood headunit.