Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

On the verge of ordering....eeek

F

fezzer

VIP Member
Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, just on the verge of ordering our first ever Cali. Very excited albeit a bit of a step into the unknown although done a lot of research and this site has been awesome. Looking at an Ocean with the following extras, removable tow bar, 4 keys, mud flaps, tyre pressure monitoring, comfort mattress, shower. In Ascot Grey, Also considering the Sports pack as I think the black wheels will set off the Ascot Grey brilliantly, just not fully clear on what the rest of the sports pack offers. Any obvious omissions?

Delete “un” comfort mattress and spend money on a S2S campervan specific self inflating air mattress

Mud flaps on eBay are £35 for 4 and last forever.

if you can screw a few screws in. In the spring !

What will you use shower for ?

The rest, yes.
But add in discover media pro. IMHO

I concluded the shower was an expensive add on for a trickle out of the boot. Nice in theory, not sure about in practice.

Definitely delete mattress. Much better options in aftermarket for similar money (or less as suggested above).

Mudflaps, you can go aftermarket. A lot will need a bit of fettling to prevent rubbing on doors etc. for my money, the factory fit ones look better and if you have the budget, go for it.

I toyed with sports pack as black does look great with AG. But I figure you can spend £1,500 in the aftermarket for a great set of alloys & tyres, and then have the supplied alloys as spare for use as summer/winter wheels or flog for ca £700 unused.

Then fit acoustic pack if you want the heated screen. The black undertrays are very subtle. You can get a wrap kit to get the black on the pillars between the windows.

Just my thoughts. Plenty love the sports pack.

Thanks, will look at alternative mattresses.

Re shower, primarily for muddy paws and potentially just rinsing bikes, boots amongst other things

When I add the sports pack the configurator automatically removes the mud flaps. Not entirely sure why.
Delete “un” comfort mattress and spend money on a S2S campervan specific self inflating air mattress

Mud flaps on eBay are £35 for 4 and last forever.

if you can screw a few screws in. In the spring !

What will you use shower for ?

The rest, yes.
But add in discover media pro. IMHO

We are the 2nd owner of our Ocean. It came with the sports pack & chrome, which we were very happy about and might consider if buying new. LED lights are great.

The main feature I wish it had is a reversing camera (there's obviously a blind spot behind the wardrobe) and ideally factory sat nav. It does have parking sensors and android connect, but given the option I'd pay extra for the full works.

Put some money to one side for wardrobe shelves and a rear boot slide out tray.

Yep don’t think you can order mudflats with the sports pack from factory. I’m guessing that the rear mud flap would not fit over the lower valance of the sport pack.

I already have a Karcher portable cleaner which serves the same purpose as the shower connection.

All the best with your option choices and order if you choose to go ahead.

Hi, just on the verge of ordering our first ever Cali. Very excited albeit a bit of a step into the unknown although done a lot of research and this site has been awesome. Looking at an Ocean with the following extras, removable tow bar, 4 keys, mud flaps, tyre pressure monitoring, comfort mattress, shower. In Ascot Grey, Also considering the Sports pack as I think the black wheels will set off the Ascot Grey brilliantly, just not fully clear on what the rest of the sports pack offers. Any obvious omissions?

1) Deffo agree with above posts re matress - remove asap.
2) Fabulous colour choice - keep that.
3) Bin shower unless you have regularly dirty dogs or similar, even a £7 pump-up pressure washer bottle has more pressure!
4) Remember that the acoustic pack comes free with the sport pack - highly recommended.

Hi, just on the verge of ordering our first ever Cali. Very excited albeit a bit of a step into the unknown although done a lot of research and this site has been awesome. Looking at an Ocean with the following extras, removable tow bar, 4 keys, mud flaps, tyre pressure monitoring, comfort mattress, shower. In Ascot Grey, Also considering the Sports pack as I think the black wheels will set off the Ascot Grey brilliantly, just not fully clear on what the rest of the sports pack offers. Any obvious omissions

I'd say get the uncomfort. Helps resell and we use it under the other mattresses we have as a base. As such it works and at a pinch it's fine for a single night away when travelling light.

We have the shower, never use but happy with it - one day we'll clean some boots off!

TPM - it comes with std TPM, I'd question if you need the actual numbers.

Agree with others on mud flaps - we bought some sleaker ones for 25 and fitted myself.

Those with sports love it.

Those with bigger screens love it.

We'd have got tow and 4x4 but when we ordered it was an extra 3 months on an already year wait. Wish we had.

Y
Yep don’t think you can order mudflats with the sports pack from factory. I’m guessing that the rear mud flap would not fit over the lower valance of the sport pack.

I already have a Karcher portable cleaner which serves the same purpose as the shower connection.

All the best with your option choices and order if you choose to go ahead.
Sports pack does delete mudflap option.

Sports pack = 18 inch wheels = no spare. That rules it out for me. Sods law you’ll get a puncture at the most inconvenient time and place. It’s a camper, not a ‘sports’ car. Just get the woodstocks powder coated black once they start to look tatty.

Sports pack = 18 inch wheels = no spare. That rules it out for me. Sods law you’ll get a puncture at the most inconvenient time and place. It’s a camper, not a ‘sports’ car. Just get the woodstocks powder coated black once they start to look tatty.
Or get some swamper wheels and make it all bulletproof

Thanks, will look at alternative mattresses.

Re shower, primarily for muddy paws and potentially just rinsing bikes, boots amongst other things

When I add the sports pack the configurator automatically removes the mud flaps. Not entirely sure why.
Sports pack comes with a black undertray that I think rules out fitting the factory mudflaps. I never wanted the mudflaps, and don’t regret not having them on my Ascot grey w sports pack, which we love. Ascot is a great understated, free colour and the lack of a spare doesn’t bother me. Saves weight and there’s an inflate kit to limp you to a garage. Woodstocks are asymmetrically ugly imo. Look like they are caravan hub caps. I’d get the davenports if you’re not getting the sports pack - more robust too as not diamond cut.
Shower is great for the dog, bikes and boots. I’ve also rinsed myself off after wild swims.
I wouldn’t get the comfort mattress again. There’s an expensive after market one (Brandrup?) that I’d put the £350 towards.
I love the ‘wood’ floor and the storage pack and would spec again.
I wish I’d got the TPMS. The standard version just tells you if you’re running flat basicallly. I would like to see if I need a top up.
I also wish I’d got the seat upgrade. I ended up spending a grand on some top notch seat covers though, so suppose I got 2-for-one there.
I do like my bigger Pro screen too. Cleaner look, fills the space well. Those who want the knobs forget there are buttons on the wheel and haptics permanently available, you don’t have to hunt the menus.
Exciting times.

Last edited:
Welcome and congrats!

For us personally, would suggest skipping the comfort matress. There's better options out there, either better equivalents of the Comfort Mattress (for cheaper) or more space-concious ones (Sea-To-Summit etc).

Mud Guards are useful, but there's better aftermarkets than OEM.

Shower - we always wanted one and dont have one - that said, I cant imagine a time we would have used it either.

TMPS - not necessary. All it does is tell you the individual pressure of each wheel whilst moving. Standard spec still includes tyre pressure alerts etc.

Tow bar is an incredibly valuable addition though; it'll give you the flexibility for example to get a towbar bike rack.

Are you sure you wouldn’t rather wait for the new Sharavan??? :veryfunny

Also add wood floor, the standard floor is a bit, Meh, IMO.
Yes 4Motion and Difflock if you can afford it and are keeping it for 20 years.
Makes the drive sublime. If not then don’t worry.
If you going to use all your camping water on washing the dog/s, bikes, your boots.
Then no clean drinking water inside for cooking and drinking.
I carry a 10l plaster bucket and 5l buckets and old washing up brush.
As soon as finish the walk, boots off, in the warm, and some of the 5l old water in the bucket. Wash boots off and back in boots bag.
Same could be done for Bike and dogs.
I wouldn’t want the rear open for 6 months of the year whilst hosing off, and it’s not a fast stream.
More like wash your hair and wet the body flow.
Like somebody mentioned, a small cheap pressure washer will serve better.

TPMS, not got, bought the Chinese ones from AliExpress for £15 delivered.
Worked great and even in -12 wind chill.
Still going 13 months later.
Solar TPMS Tire Pressure Monitoring System Temperature Warning Fuel Save Car Tyre Pressure Monitor 4 External Sensors Cartronics

Rear boot sliding tray is a massive 100% useful addition. Save the penny’s and get it

You can add a spare wheel and hanger as mentioned for £150. Add the spare safe to stop tea leafs removing.
If you want the 18” wheels.
Love my 18” wheels, great driving experience.

Acoustic pack has front heated screen.
Would never have a heated front screen again, I always see the thin wires. Had it in a Ford mondeo once. Never again.

Shower is a must-have for me. Used once for dog paws but many times for boots, sport equipment, cooking equipment etc.
it was actually the feature that made me choose a pre reg T6 rather than a dealer test drive T6.1