Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Latest Brochure + Beach Specification Build

bagel.rhodes

bagel.rhodes

Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
I got sent the latest brochure yesterday from VW. Not sure if it‘s on the VW site yet but here it is. I have also included the specification build I did, I think this was the last one, admittedly i played around a lot on the builder.

Attachments

• California-6.1 4.pdf
    3 MB · Views: 149
  • california-brochure.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 174
Wonder how much the most expensive Ocean would come out at? my configurator keeps messing or I'd check myself, I reckon £87,000

I got sent the latest brochure yesterday from VW. Not sure if it‘s on the VW site yet but here it is. I have also included the specification build I did, I think this was the last one, admittedly i played around a lot on the builder.
Loaded!

Are you happy with the budget?

If looking for some nice-to-haves to remove:

Some posts today about the refrigerator being more of a coolbox, see if you can have that confirmed by the dealer

DCC seems to split the crowd, I didn't go for it, have search around and they'll be some opinions to read through if you're interested

Also, I don't see Electric hook-up, a lot recommending that (I took the recommendation and added it)

I think they messed up the the caption positions and vans on display in this pic…F5914577-EB75-4110-B471-B8E2E80AB57F.png

Small increases to all the prices. On pg 50 the lights and vision pack now lists as standard on the coast and ocean. Magnetic flashlight now a beach option.

Loaded!

Some posts today about the refrigerator being more of a coolbox, see if you can have that confirmed by the dealer

DCC seems to split the crowd, I didn't go for it, have search around and they'll be some opinions to read through if you're interested
I haven’t seen anyone unhappy with the DCC, only people unhappy with the standard suspension.
The two-tone is a nice to have? (Twice the price).
Then again - confirmation bias?

Last edited:
Those who have it seem to think it’s worth it. But so do those who spend twice as much on 2 tone paint. Each to their own, but for some reason there does seem to be a contingent of DCC sceptics who don’t have it.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/driving-profile-option.34949/post-423704
Confirmation bias? Can imagine it's a small percentage of people who have it and say that wouldn't get it again. Depends if you have to compromise somewhere else.

I have it on my current car, it's nice, I wouldn't bother on a van for that price. As you said, each to their own, I think the thicker windows option makes a more noticeable comfortable ride than upgrading the suspension, but not sure I'm in a common group for that one

Confirmation bias? Can imagine it's a small percentage of people who have it and say that wouldn't get it again. Depends if you have to compromise somewhere else.

I have it on my current car, it's nice, I wouldn't bother on a van for that price. As you said, each to their own, I think the thicker windows option makes a more noticeable comfortable ride than upgrading the suspension, but not sure I'm in a common group for that one
I’m always concerned by confirmation bias by folk who have it and say it’s great - as in “I’ve paid for it so it must be worth it”.
Then again I’m more concerned by the number of after market suspension upgrades. Sounds like you can solve the suspension problem with more money, but I like factory, and folk who have DCC, (seemingly) do too.
I haven’t seen the thicker window option - is that the laminated cab glass (Z2C) you get with the sports pack?

Yeah that's the one, well here it's listed as a slightly different code:

[Z2A] Dämmglas mit verbesserter Aussengeräuschdämmung und
abgedunkelte Scheiben im Fahrgastraum, Schiebefenster Normalglas
abgedunkelt

Translating as:

"Insulating glass with improved exterior noise insulation and darkened panes in the passenger compartment, normal glass sliding windows darkened"

I’m always concerned by confirmation bias by folk who have it and say it’s great - as in “I’ve paid for it so it must be worth it”.
Then again I’m more concerned by the number of after market suspension upgrades. Sounds like you can solve the suspension problem with more money, but I like factory, and folk who have DCC, (seemingly) do too.
I haven’t seen the thicker window option - is that the laminated cab glass (Z2C) you get with the sports pack?
I've had one SE with the thicker dg windows and two Beaches without. Can't say I noticed any difference at all in either sound deadening or insulative quality. The laminated glass would be an added security feature as it is more difficult to break in through. However, the glass in the slider and the window opposite on the N/S are I believe, only single glazed and not laminated.

I would be interested in trying the DCC and remain open minded until I do. I'm not unhappy with the standard suspension though. I never "drive it like I've stolen it" so the standard set up is more than adequate for me.

I've had one SE with the thicker dg windows and two Beaches without. Can't say I noticed any difference at all in either sound deadening or insulative quality. The laminated glass would be an added security feature as it is more difficult to break in through. However, the glass in the slider and the window opposite on the N/S are I believe, only single glazed and not laminated.

I would be interested in trying the DCC and remain open minded until I do. I'm not unhappy with the standard suspension though. I never "drive it like I've stolen it" so the standard set up is more than adequate for me.

If you get a chance to try both with and without DCC that would be interesting feedback.

Near me there are just not enough models around with and without various options, so the closest I could get is a Multivan / Caravelle with 4wd (I wanted 2wd), different trim, long wheel base... I said yeah it's ok Mr dealer but not exactly easy to pull the trigger when I have to imagine it being shorter, with a roof, and all the other withs and withouts!

Loaded!

I think I am, also there is the 3 seater bench which i put in to the last specification. I could trim it and there is some free stuff - cool box, keys, extra warranty and servicing x 2. I’m in the position where I won’t be on a plane so much, so at home more, both kids are really active - paddle boarding, mountain biking and like being out doors - so we are going to have more free time. So any extra’s was worth it, also the way I worked the financing work out good, big down payment, smaller monthly payments (150 less than my lease car that I sent back last year) and then final reasonable payment at the end. I’ll use this as my lease car as all of those journeys were 150+ miles, so all motorway, i get 3X the petrol from each journey from work so that’s the month payment done in a journey.
Also, I don't see Electric hook-up, a lot recommending that (I took the recommendation and added it)

I think I am, also there is the 3 seater bench which i put in to the last specification. I could trim it and there is some free stuff - cool box, keys, extra warranty and servicing x 2. I’m in the position where I won’t be on a plane so much, so at home more, both kids are really active - paddle boarding, mountain biking and like being out doors - so we are going to have more free time. So any extra’s was worth it, also the way I worked the financing work out good, big down payment, smaller monthly payments (150 less than my lease car that I sent back last year) and then final reasonable payment at the end. I’ll use this as my lease car as all of those journeys were 150+ miles, so all motorway, i get 3X the petrol from each journey from work so that’s the month payment done in a journey.
I am pretty sure Electric Hook up was in the final configuration.

…and the Beach Tour has a powered roof.

I haven’t seen anyone unhappy with the DCC, only people unhappy with the standard suspension.
The two-tone is a nice to have? (Twice the price).
Then again - confirmation bias?
I know it was really expensive, when i saw it in the show room and the colour I was sold.C3C00253-72F9-44D6-95DD-E3CB4D04AC08.jpeg
Yeah that's the one, well here it's listed as a slightly different code:

[Z2A] Dämmglas mit verbesserter Aussengeräuschdämmung und
abgedunkelte Scheiben im Fahrgastraum, Schiebefenster Normalglas
abgedunkelt

Translating as:

"Insulating glass with improved exterior noise insulation and darkened panes in the passenger compartment, normal glass sliding windows darkened"
This was the only option on the beach Dark tinted glass in rear seat area (Venus 35/Privacy) heat-insulating - I presume that‘s the same. A lot of people said this is a definite.

If you get a chance to try both with and without DCC that would be interesting feedback.

Near me there are just not enough models around with and without various options, so the closest I could get is a Multivan / Caravelle with 4wd (I wanted 2wd), different trim, long wheel base... I said yeah it's ok Mr dealer but not exactly easy to pull the trigger when I have to imagine it being shorter, with a roof, and all the other withs and withouts!
Yes I will. My van is due it's first service soon so I'll ask the dealer if I can try something Transporter based with DCC at the same time.

I did ask to do just that before ordering our current Beach but the dealer had nothing in stock with that feature. I also did some research on the forum but there is very little comment on DCC. I concluded that either it was so good that owners with it had been lulled off to sleep, or it was absolute rubbish and anyone who had purchased it, didn't want to admit it. Of course the third and more likely reason is that like me, most people had thought it a very expensive option and had decided to stay with the standard suspension set up or have a fiddle about with it themselves.

The standard set up is ok as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it can be a bit crashy on poor road surfaces especially when lightly loaded. Fill the van up and it's much better. It is basically a builders van after all!

If I could have tried DCC at that point I may have ticked that box as well. In the end it was only the DCC, the electric slider, the blind spot thingy, the alcantara/plastic seats and flappy paddles that I left off the spec. Everything else was ticked following our learning curve with our previous Beach.

Yes I will. My van is due it's first service soon so I'll ask the dealer if I can try something Transporter based with DCC at the same time.

I did ask to do just that before ordering our current Beach but the dealer had nothing in stock with that feature. I also did some research on the forum but there is very little comment on DCC. I concluded that either it was so good that owners with it had been lulled off to sleep, or it was absolute rubbish and anyone who had purchased it, didn't want to admit it. Of course the third and more likely reason is that like me, most people had thought it a very expensive option and had decided to stay with the standard suspension set up or have a fiddle about with it themselves.

The standard set up is ok as far as I'm concerned. Yes, it can be a bit crashy on poor road surfaces especially when lightly loaded. Fill the van up and it's much better. It is basically a builders van after all!

If I could have tried DCC at that point I may have ticked that box as well. In the end it was only the DCC, the electric slider, the blind spot thingy, the alcantara/plastic seats and flappy paddles that I left off the spec. Everything else was ticked following our learning curve with our previous Beach.
I had DCC on my Volvo and although I liked putting in sport mode and being Hamilton, it was rare and probably none at the right did I ever change. Having said that big van lots of weight changes make a big difference. It was the thing I thought I could live without it. I had a pretty bad salesperson who knew nothing and then another telling me how wrong I was buying a beach with high spec. I’m sure it will be wonderful.

I had DCC on my Volvo and although I liked putting in sport mode and being Hamilton, it was rare and probably none at the right did I ever change. Having said that big van lots of weight changes make a big difference. It was the thing I thought I could live without it. I had a pretty bad salesperson who knew nothing and then another telling me how wrong I was buying a beach with high spec. I’m sure it will be wonderful.
It will be interesting reading your feed back on this option and of course the rest of your lovely new van as well. It's the one option that is still a mystery to me. There's very little about it on the forum. Have you had the chance to try it out in a Transporter based vehicle?

I imagine that manufacturers suspension set ups are arrived at after much expensive R & D work. The end result is a set up that's designed to be the optimum solution for all likely applications when driven from empty through to fully loaded. This compromise will never suit everyone as each of us has a different driving style and load requirements. It's a personal think like choosing a new mattress for your bed.

I look foward to reading your review on the DCC. :thumb

Ignore that salesperson. It's not his/her cash or circs at stake. Besides far too many of them know diddly squat about the product they are selling.

Last edited:
Back