Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The latest wild idea from the Slidepods team!

S

SlidePods

Guest User
So...... we have been traders on the site for a while now and have had great support from forum members (thankyou everybody) and have red many, many..... many threads to date not relating to Slidepods over this time about all sorts of things. One of the most common topics discussed is the under "speccing" of the California beach by VW regarding engines, gearboxes, soundproofing, leisure electrics etc etc when compared to the Cali Ocean. I do personally feel that VW have made a beautiful functional vehicle in the cali beach but it is perhaps slightly to heavily weighted towards being a day van or overnighter due to its lack of kitchen and the under specced leisure electrics system. We have always wanted to bring a full conversion to market and to date have done many custom full conversions based around our Slidepods to the personal specification of customers.

Here is just one such example based on a LWB panel van SAM_0208.JPG SAM_0210.JPG SAM_0212.JPG SAM_0213.JPG SAM_0214.JPG SAM_0216.JPG

We are thinking of doing a beach style conversion using the RIB beds (so sadly no sliding rails) in much the same layout a the 2 and 3 seat beaches that includes a Slidepod (obviously) and SCA 194 high lift roof (without doubt the best retro fit pop top on the market which includes a slatted bed) potential for an integrated draw fridge under the rock and RIB bed and the ability to build the conversion on a top spec T6 with the top end engines and gearboxes :thumb along with a whole host of upgrades like diesel night heaters, alloy wheels etc etc.

So my questions are........

what would you urge us to include as beach owners?

and if we could do this with a higher spec than a beach and offer a 3 year warranty on all our works to match the 3 year warranty of the new vehicle would you be tempted away from the factory beach?

Looks good, but as with all that style of conversions because you have used up all the storage in the boot, you must put a table in the sliding door and chairs in the tailgate.
Good luck:thumb

Looks good, but as with all that style of conversions because you have used up all the storage in the boot, you must put a table in the sliding door and chairs in the tailgate.
Good luck:thumb

I agree we have to design a indoor table but i have a plan for the chairs thats so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel.

Would a tail lift not give shelter in wet weather?. Weight distribution may also be an issue. Most problems could be overcome but it would not be a California, just a conversion.

It's inside out isn't it? :D

Looks very nice though, better than our kitchen at home :thumb

Would a tail lift not give shelter in wet weather?. Weight distribution may also be an issue. Most problems could be overcome but it would not be a California, just a conversion.
We would only ever convert tailgate vans. In the above example the van was supplied by the customer

So what makes a california a california? What is so special?

I think the money (and customer demand satisfaction) is perfecting the indoor pod for the beach. Folks here are going to want an official Cali. For all the heated debate between Beaches and SE/Ocean owners, there is clearly a massive market for an internal pod in a real Cali Beach (with its non elec roof).
For most of us, it's OK going to the tailgate for a fleece, but not a tea bag.

If only a conversion could be made without the dreaded grey carpet on the wall.

We looked at heaps of conversions before buying a Cali, if I had not bought a Cali I would not been able to be a member of this great club

Don't get me wrong, your pods look great but I can't see why I would want to get out the van to make a cup of tea. A good example was today where the wife was in Ikea and I stayed in the van in the car park, I would of felt a right numpty getting out the van in the car park, going round the back and putting the kettle on the hob. Instead I sat inside with my tea and read the paper, nobody outside was the wiser.

Like I say, your workmanship looks fab

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously no one is watching Eurovision tonight :D

I think in addition to my comment above which were perhaps 'Beach' specific, I'm now adding that I think the idea results in a very poorly balanced solution more generally for campervans.....

Anything that won't fit in that middle cupboard, will have to be loose inside the van. With your original concept you still get half of the boot for bedding, awning/shelter, ramps, boxes of clothes etc etc.

Your Slidepod is real breakthrough alternative to the conventional designs. It's not really competing with the traditional side kitchen layout. I wouldn't buy one but anyone with an clue can see the attractions and that it will suit many lifestyles.

Your new proposal challenges the traditional side kitchen layout head-on, which hasn't been beaten (in a SWB van ;) ) for 40 years. My initial reaction was poor, and it's going down hill rapidly as I type. Sorry.

I feel the same as Kirk - I also want to make a cup of tea inside the van Using our california in all weathers is a must for me cooker outside in the rain on the west coast of Scotland is a no no.

A 3 year warranty good selling point

We sometimes use our pod in 'rainy day' mode inside the van, mounted between the front and rear seats. With a few tweaks I think you could make a reversible pod that could be accessed from inside or out to give the best of both worlds.

I don't think we could do without the floor rail and sliding seats. A swivelling rear bench seat would be good though.

Great to see more Slidepod innovations, if any one can build a Cali-beater its you! :thumb

image.jpg

Okay so perhaps incorporating a portable gas stove into the internal furniture design?
Alowing the brewing of the crutial internal tea scernario could be a winner.
Sadly the veltrim carpet is a mainstay in conversions. Moulding plastic trim is an expencieve buisness reserved for vehicle manufacturers. However there are w sides to every coin...... we would be cheaper, hogher specced electrics, higher specced diesel heaters (controlled from both an internal panel and from a phone app), underslung 50l water tank and more cistomisation options on trim, suspension etcetc.
In some areas VW deffinately have the edge but in others I truely believe we can be better.

There is a bit of wasted space in the non-door side of the beach, the bootle holders are a bit small to be really useful. If you could fit a fold down stove in there that doesn't take up any more room than the current door card it would be great.

Grey carpets on the wall is the killer, surely after all these years they could iof designed something else? Even a different colour? Why grey?

Funny this. I asked a similar question, probably badly phrased, and got slated.

These are my personal observations regarding the Beach.
1. Often owned by larger families and used frequently as a daily driver in MPV format.
2. For extended weekends/holidays often used with a free-standing awning which is used for cooking/dining and possibly additional sleeping accommodation.
3. Used, by some, as a Day Van and internal cooking, sink and water etc: facilities would be useful.
How to accommodate 2 & 3 is the difficult question together with sufficient luggage/storage for 2 .

A taller, rear Slidepod, with more storage, carried inside locked to the rails that is easily moved into an awning on site could work . It's weight could be a problem but what about wheels and legs that drop down as it is slid out of the side door? Like the old ambulance stretchers.

This could work in a 4 or 5 seat Beach and still leave the whole boot space clear.

The trouble with a VW conversion is that it is a " conversion " . A California is made, serviced and warranted by VW, anywhere in Europe. A conversion is not. You might be able to offer a 3 year warranty and VW may well warranty the vehicle for 3 years but not the habitation modifications. Thus the market becomes limited and although such a conversion may have more equipment, excellent build quality etc: it will still depreciate more than a Beach.

Personally to win people over in the conversion market I think new radical ideas are the way forward. Break the norm. Twin sliding doors would be a winner so pitching, awnings, cooker pods can be done either side. This is a winner to regarding parking next to the kerb home or abroad. Floor rails are a winner with the beach, adaptable seating and multi position pods can make use of this. I think there is an alternative to carpeted walls, plastic wall panels that are fitted to showers for example. We have recently had a work kitchen clad with this stuff. It was bent to accommodate angles etc. using heat. If a "mould" could be made for VW van walls, pillars etc then I'm sure these panels could be made quite cheaply. They come in different colours or could be vinyl wrapped? If I was in the market for a flexible Beach type van I think I could have one made to my spec far cheaper than VW. Keep up the good work Slidepods.

Back