Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The latest wild idea from the Slidepods team!

Personally to win people over in the conversion market I think new radical ideas are the way forward. Break the norm. Twin sliding doors would be a winner so pitching, awnings, cooker pods can be done either side. This is a winner to regarding parking next to the kerb home or abroad. Floor rails are a winner with the beach, adaptable seating and multi position pods can make use of this. I think there is an alternative to carpeted walls, plastic wall panels that are fitted to showers for example. We have recently had a work kitchen clad with this stuff. It was bent to accommodate angles etc. using heat. If a "mould" could be made for VW van walls, pillars etc then I'm sure these panels could be made quite cheaply. They come in different colours or could be vinyl wrapped? If I was in the market for a flexible Beach type van I think I could have one made to my spec far cheaper than VW. Keep up the good work Slidepods.
Tonke conversions already do a model similar to this with twin doors and moveable pod. As for walls there was a manufacturer who did plastic lining but it seems to have dropped off the edge. Maybe VW have patent but if not the cost would be prohibitive to make moulds for limited numbers.
I looked at many conversions and have owned Autosleeper Trident and others but much prefer the California Ocean.

I would not touch a coversion with a barge pole, they lose so much money unless you buy something like a Bilbo, also the prices are now so close to Cali money these days you might as well just get the real deal. Especially with the new 5 year warranty on Cali's it is a no-brainer.

Also most covernsions are just builders vans at the end of the day.

I think your workmanship looks excellent.

Unfortunately, I'm not keen on the pod idea, period. I understand it may work for some people . But as an experienced camper/campervan owner, the main reason which attracted me to the Beach in the first place was the fact it had no kitchen...!!!
Been there done that with some of my previous vans. It doesn't work for us.

Hence, if I wanted a sink and cooker I would buy an SE or Ocean, or whatever they call it this week.

The trouble with a VW conversion is that it is a " conversion " . A California is made, serviced and warranted by VW, anywhere in Europe. A conversion is not. You might be able to offer a 3 year warranty and VW may well warranty the vehicle for 3 years but not the habitation modifications. Thus the market becomes limited and although such a conversion may have more equipment, excellent build quality etc: it will still depreciate more than a Beach.
The trouble with a VW conversion is that it is a " conversion " . A California is made, serviced and warranted by VW, anywhere in Europe. A conversion is not. You might be able to offer a 3 year warranty and VW may well warranty the vehicle for 3 years but not the habitation modifications. Thus the market becomes limited and although such a conversion may have more equipment, excellent build quality etc: it will still depreciate more than a Beach.

I think WelshGas has summarised the situation for most buyers of California's, certainly those buying new but equally the brand/quality/residuals applies to the used market. Most owners would admit however that the Cali is not perfect, I started a thread once about what changes owners would make and there were plenty of ideas, thing is that those of us who have bought a Cali, I suspect. largely because of the brand, the quality and that in our opinion overall it does the job better than anything else.
The conversion market is a crowded one, and IMO to attract genuine Cali buyers it would need a complete game changer - offering everything the Cali does but even better, in terms of function and quality at an attractive price. Even then, I think brand is a big thing for most buyers.

I think brand is a big thing for most buyers.

The Vw brand ain't what it used to be, Cali roof is an absolute c@ck up, reports of a few 180 hp engines failing at low mileage, steering knock, the release and ordering of the T6 another c@ck up of Biblical proportions, non swivelling seats in a Cali anyone?
The list goes on.
So if anyone can come up with anything better then they could suceed, but at the moment there isn't anything that comes close to a Cali so it looks like we're stuck with Vw, their wonderful dealers and their equally wonderfull Customer Services.
Come on Mercedes with the Marco Polo this may be your time to shine!

Last edited:
The Vw brand ain't what it used to be, Cali roof is an absolute c@ck up, reports of a few 180 hp engines failing at low mileage, steering knock, the release and ordering of the T6 another c@ck up of Biblical proportions, non swivelling seats in a Cali anyone?
The list goes on.
So if anyone can come up with anything better then they could suceed, but at the moment there isn't anything that comes close to a Cali so it looks like we're stuck with Vw, their wonderful dealers and their equally wonderfull Customer Services.
Come on Mercedes with the Marco Polo this may be your time to shine!

One converter who do seem to do exceptional work are New Wave Conversions. The workmanship is possibly the best out there, but it doesn't come cheap and its a tough choice when a conversion costs similar if not more than a brand new Cali:eek:

Should mention not trying to take away the creativity from Slidepods. That from what I`ve seen your slidepods look very well made.
Actually I can see, how something quite mobile and lightweight which canbe installed into the van and taken out again would be handy for some families etc. Maybe a pod which transferes into an awning for longer camping trips etc would be a smart option:thumb

Should mention not trying to take away the creativity from Slidepods. That from what I`ve seen your slidepods look very well made.
Actually I can see, how something quite mobile and lightweight which canbe installed into the van and taken out again would be handy for some families etc. Maybe a pod which transferes into an awning for longer camping trips etc would be a smart option:thumb

Our slidepods already do this as a standard feature

Our slidepods already do this as a standard feature
Correct, but at the expense of losing the boot carrying capacity and cannot be used internally without opening the tailgate not something to be done in the middle of winter in the UK.
Ideal for summer use.
Now a Pod that could be fitted inside, used inside and moved into an awning when required could be extremely useful to some especially with your excellent build quality and attention to detail.

There is a bit of wasted space in the non-door side of the beach, the bootle holders are a bit small to be really useful. If you could fit a fold down stove in there that doesn't take up any more room than the current door card it would be great.
I am trying to buy one of these from Maxxcamp but it seems they are no longer listing them - can someone go into production as i reckon every Beach owner would want one maxxcamp-konsol -01.jpg maxxcamp-konsol -02 (1).jpg

Problem is Beach people want a Beach which is why they don have the full Cali? And there are aftermarket pods (some really good German stuff) to add flexibility...so is there a market? I don't know the answer to that though...

So what makes a california a california? What is so special?
cali owners are a strange breed indeed , we are willing to pay more to get less. But I'm sure there is a market for all the conversions. The cali is a camper that drives like a van, takes the parkingspace of a car and yet passengers got the spatial feeling of a limousine.
During daytime everything is within reach and the cali is still usable as a everyday vehicule , for many owners (including me) this is a very important argument for choosing a cali and not a classic mobilhome or any other conversion. A cali is is a very good compromise for all mobilhome features in a normal car.

Eur 115 ! I think Maxxcamp are the new Brandrup!

Eur 115 ! I think Maxxcamp are the new Brandrup!
Thats it - I have asked them if it fits onto the rail in the Beach and they wont comment. Having checked, the profile of the rail on the door it looks like the console wont lie flat without a bit of bending - anyone tried one ?

I'm afraid that won't work but they sell holders which you can screw in a module or, why not, in a door panel.

Forget my holders, they are not suited for the stove plate.

Back