Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Things to get checked before warranty expires

G

gatvol

All

I have been driving VW and Audi since I was 17 in the 1980s. Much as I love them, the current crop is much less reliable than they used to be and the parts and labour are MASSIVELY more expensive than used to be the case. So many things that I used to replace myself are now sealed units that are OEM only - and some may be amazed what "basic" repairs can cost. An independent VW/ Audi garage told me several horror stories of people who buy vehicles out of warranty and get hit with massive bills.

I have a 57 plate Audi S5 that I bought as a 3 month old demo in 2008 and this cost me a fortune in 2012 over and above its biblical depreciation - new radiator fan (over 800 all in), new intelligent key sensors (over 300 all in), new water pump (over 800 all in). The water pump was 6 hours labour for example as they have to remove the bumper and front of the car. Friends of mine are also running 3, 4, 5 year old BMW, Audi, VW, Merc that are out of warranty and are getting hit with similar sums. As the cars are so complex with so many variants, you can't really get bits that are second hand either - and you can still get smacked with big labour charges.

Might I suggest that the forum sets up a list of common faults that owners can run down when their Cali is perhaps 2.5 years old and there is still time to get fixed under warranty. I found the Cali handover checklist really helpful as my dealer missed loads of things as mine was a pre-reg that had been used as an in store demo car.

I have just been reading about the steering column for instance - this is a classic example of where our shared knowledge could save owners a fortune in the future. This is not meant to scare folk, but if we know what these common problems/ design faults are we can try to spot symptoms before warranty expiry. I learnt for example that my intelligent key sensors commonly fail after it was too late. The intelligent key showed symptoms once before the warranty expired and I just put it down to software and general "too complicated for its own good".

Any thoughts from members please ?? We would need to know what symptoms are, what provokes them, what the fix is etc. And sorry if I have missed a section that covers this on the forum.

I will be first and say check the double glazed windows for any signs of moisture inside. Touch wood no sign so far but got 10 months warranty left.

Truth is engines etc are far more complicated that the 1980's. You would have got 180bhp out of a 2 litre diesel, more like 60bhp. I bet your S5 shifts like and 1980's Ferrari with double the mpg and better reliability. I think our expectations have accelerated as well.....

An excellent thread idea gatvol - lets hope the admins are listening :help

From what I've picked up there's:

- Central Control Panel
- Pop-top bellows fabric
- Corrosion check on roof
- Earth Shunt on Aux Heater
- Steering Column knock

Mine will be approaching 3 years soon so keen to have a checklist :thumb

If we can create a good list on this thread we will make it into a PDF for the downloads section.

Bumping this thread as my warranty runs out in a few months.

Was going to test the Leisure Batteries performance, would these even be covered under warranty?

Bumping this thread as my warranty runs out in a few months.

Was going to test the Leisure Batteries performance, would these even be covered under warranty?
I very much doubt it unless a specific battery fault was shown and that would probably have been very early on in the warranty.

Don't forget there's the rear high level brake light that falls out! There is a recall on it.

My Cali is booked in for faulty control knob (not clicking when you turn it or selecting properly fridge/poptop/etc). Moisture problem with front windscreen which hasn't happened now for about a month.

Don't forget there's the rear high level brake light that falls out! There is a recall on it.

My Cali is booked in for faulty control knob (not clicking when you turn it or selecting properly fridge/poptop/etc). Moisture problem with front windscreen which hasn't happened now for about a month.

Thanks, the rear light fell out a while back & was replaced by SMG under warranty.

What's the moisture issue with the front screen?

Not sure yet, vw blamed the replacement windscreen a few months back! So got a new one fitted and still sometimes get soaking wet or even frost on the inside!!! Have started a post on it, van is booked in weds. Hoping it's the roof drains which someone said on here.

Not sure yet, vw blamed the replacement windscreen a few months back! So got a new one fitted and still sometimes get soaking wet or even frost on the inside!!! Have started a post on it, van is booked in weds. Hoping it's the roof drains which someone said on here.

My friend had an issue with the roof drains on his 2010, they run down both A pillars, you could check the carpet around the pedals and the passenger side for any dampness.

It's booked in for weds, there having it for a few days and are going to dry it completely out and then do a water test. Guess that's blast it with a hose

All

I have been driving VW and Audi since I was 17 in the 1980s. Much as I love them, the current crop is much less reliable than they used to be and the parts and labour are MASSIVELY more expensive than used to be the case. So many things that I used to replace myself are now sealed units that are OEM only - and some may be amazed what "basic" repairs can cost. An independent VW/ Audi garage told me several horror stories of people who buy vehicles out of warranty and get hit with massive bills.

I have a 57 plate Audi S5 that I bought as a 3 month old demo in 2008 and this cost me a fortune in 2012 over and above its biblical depreciation - new radiator fan (over 800 all in), new intelligent key sensors (over 300 all in), new water pump (over 800 all in). The water pump was 6 hours labour for example as they have to remove the bumper and front of the car. Friends of mine are also running 3, 4, 5 year old BMW, Audi, VW, Merc that are out of warranty and are getting hit with similar sums. As the cars are so complex with so many variants, you can't really get bits that are second hand either - and you can still get smacked with big labour charges.

Might I suggest that the forum sets up a list of common faults that owners can run down when their Cali is perhaps 2.5 years old and there is still time to get fixed under warranty. I found the Cali handover checklist really helpful as my dealer missed loads of things as mine was a pre-reg that had been used as an in store demo car.

I have just been reading about the steering column for instance - this is a classic example of where our shared knowledge could save owners a fortune in the future. This is not meant to scare folk, but if we know what these common problems/ design faults are we can try to spot symptoms before warranty expiry. I learnt for example that my intelligent key sensors commonly fail after it was too late. The intelligent key showed symptoms once before the warranty expired and I just put it down to software and general "too complicated for its own good".

Any thoughts from members please ?? We would need to know what symptoms are, what provokes them, what the fix is etc. And sorry if I have missed a section that covers this on the forum.
Perhaps include recall notices? Some members may not have seen them.

I think there is a lot of items that will fail but you can not check them before they fail . We had the bed fail at just out of warranty where it stuck down ( but VW paid most of it) and the hook up unit at 5 years ---both these worked one day and not the next

We are high millage users feel the problem for some owners of low usage vans hit the out of warranty before something that is faulty fails as it just has not used to that fail point,

Last edited:
Was a single list created? thanks

Mine is up for 3 years in March.

Was a single list created? thanks

Mine is up for 3 years in March.

Don’t think so. I took mine to SMG for its MOT and also for a ‘pre out of warranty check’ they failed to check anything and serviced it ny mistake (for no reason)

Saying that, my control panel failed 3 weeks out of warranty and SMG kindly replaced that for free.

The idea was there though so I’d recommend taking somewhere for a health check.

Just make sure to get your mot done a month before it’s 3yrs old as any problems then it’s still under warranty.
The MOT can undertaken upto 4 weeks before the Due Date and dated for the Due Date so you don’t lose out.

Out of interest did anyone start to put that list together............?

Back