Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

I watched Wills Vlog.
He seems to think it’s an Ocean van without the roof and probably a few other bits like LED headlights etc.
The lack of satnav, I would imagine, will be Apple CarPlay. Nobody uses car satnav these days.
Wouldn't be the first time Will has been misinformed. The way I'm reading it the Surf is missing a lot more than power poptop and LED lights.

• Agree
Reactions: Sad
Wouldn't be the first time Will has been misinformed. The way I'm reading it the Surf is missing a lot more than power poptop and LED lights.
All just speculation to get clicks.

I was going to say only VW UK know, but I doubt that either yet!!!

According to this from @Tomdbreeze it does have LED headlights.surf spec.jpg

Could the surf, be the final Derv California goodbye.
All the best bits, minus that infuriating electric roof…?

Could the surf, be the final Derv California goodbye.
All the best bits, minus that infuriating electric roof…?
Nothing infuriating about it, for us anyway - works perfectly and the Mrs feels able to go away alone.
I don’t see the point of the Surf: manual roof, 16” wheels (and smaller brakes), no electric mirrors, digital cockpit, side assist, privacy glass or opening window on one side in the rear (or awning - if a tent adapter replaces it?) adds up to more than £4K in my book. To most people paying £65k, £4K will be found for an Ocean.
I predict a sales flop.

The number of seats possible could be one of the main attractions. If you can have 5 or 7 seats, then that's good for bigger families or taking kids friends. (and a tent) A bit like the Beach Tour. Horses for courses... All will be revealed (hopefully) next week.

• Agree
Nothing infuriating about it, for us anyway - works perfectly and the Mrs feels able to go away alone.
I don’t see the point of the Surf: manual roof, 16” wheels (and smaller brakes), no electric mirrors, digital cockpit, side assist, privacy glass or opening window on one side in the rear (or awning - if a tent adapter replaces it?) adds up to more than £4K in my book. To most people paying £65k, £4K will be found for an Ocean.
I predict a sales flop.

It has its merits.
But, I found it a real annoyance when trying to stealth camp. Arriving somewhere late, trying to quietly turn the van around. Ignition on, lights on, roof motor whirling.
Much better to park and pop a manual roof. Quicker too.

It has its merits.
But, I found it a real annoyance when trying to stealth camp. Arriving somewhere late, trying to quietly turn the van around. Ignition on, lights on, roof motor whirling.
Much better to park and pop a manual roof. Quicker too.
Even with a manual roof turning the van around would bring on the daytime running lights & the sound of the engine running as a minimum, a tiny bit of noise from the roof motor is naff all in comparison.

Even with a manual roof turning the van around would bring on the daytime running lights & the sound of the engine running as a minimum, a tiny bit of noise from the roof motor is naff all in comparison.
You can easily switch the DRL's off with Carista.

I’m lost.
Why do you need the lights on for a manual Poptop…?

I’m lost.
Why do you need the lights on for a manual Poptop…?
Post also mentioned turning the van around, ie late arrival at campsite

But if already parked up, you just stumble back from the pub, pop the manual top without the need to start the engine...(you could do it pre-pub of course, but pub usually gets priority). Followed by swearing as you take a shortcut to the toilets and trip over a few awning lines.

Last edited:
Post also mentioned turning the van around, ie late arrival at campsite

But if already parked up, you just stumble back from the pub, pop the manual top without the need to start the engine...(you could do it pre-pub of course, but pub usually gets priority). Followed by swearing as you take a shortcut to the toilets and trip over a few awning lines.
But you don't need to start the engine to raise the electric roof, & if you've pressed the button for camping mode the daylight running lights don't come on if you turn on the ignition.

Sounds like clutching at straws, ruling out an electric roof because of 10 seconds of noise once per trip - my snoring (apparently - not heard it myself) is noisier than the motor.

But you don't need to start the engine to raise the electric roof, & if you've pressed the button for camping mode the daylight running lights don't come on if you turn on the ignition.

Sounds like clutching at straws, ruling out an electric roof because of 10 seconds of noise once per trip - my snoring (apparently - not heard it myself) is noisier than the motor.

We have always had manual roofs. No power required and less to go wrong. (and need 7seats which rules out elec / hydraulic roof anyway)

It seems to be an UK only offering. It has not been mentioned on the German Cali Board or anywhere else that I could find. Why now if orders are going to be stopped soon? Could it be a test balloon to see if a lighter camper has a market that in future could be based on the T7 Multivan?

Could be a combination of reasons. Test bed sounds plausible. Parts bin special could be another good explanation as VW use up their contracted allocation from parts suppliers.

It seems to be an UK only offering. It has not been mentioned on the German Cali Board or anywhere else that I could find. Why now if orders are going to be stopped soon? Could it be a test balloon to see if a lighter camper has a market that in future could be based on the T7 Multivan?
It's a parts bin run out model only IMHO

OMG I NOW feel validated, I didnt want crap factory satnav, electric roof or the Ocean LED’s - so I bought a Coast in this ie the perfect 6.1 spec yes yes yes there is talent at VAG UK

OMG I NOW feel validated, I didnt want crap factory satnav, electric roof or the Ocean LED’s - so I bought a Coast in this ie the perfect 6.1 spec yes yes yes there is talent at VAG UK

That didn't age well.

Seems like VAG UK actually know what most people want.

The Surf has an electric roof and LEDs so the only thing they've done that you would have approved of is greyed out the Nav button on the screen.

Back