Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

No more real detail on the Surf. Amazing how even a dealer doesn’t know whether it has an electric roof (he suspects not), but he clearly says it’s based on a Beach, will have 16” wheels (and so smaller brakes), will not have an awning…and will cost £4746 less than an Ocean.
Chris thinks it’s a good model option (obvs) but I don’t see it.
In other news, VW are offering an additional £1000 off an Ocean/Beach until 30 April

Last edited:
i think he got confused. he meant it is based on an ocean, not beach. it is a low spec ocean. it has kitchen cupboards, gas hob, sink etc. ah, no, he repeats it! oh well, that is confusing. I'm not sure it is 'based on a beach' any more than a coast was.

No more real detail on the Surf. Amazing how even a dealer doesn’t know whether it has an electric roof (he suspects not), but it clearly is based based on a Beach, will have 16” wheels (and so smaller brakes), will not have an awning…and will cost £4746 less than an Ocean.
In other news, VW are offering an additional £1000 off an Ocean/Beach until 30 April
Second Cali video on YT this week where it's more just gum flapping and not really much else.

Chris is just reading off the spec sheet we saw 10 days ago.

Think he was implying the base van is same spec as a beach.
16” wheels/smaller discs/150engine etc

No more real detail on the Surf. Amazing how even a dealer doesn’t know whether it has an electric roof (he suspects not), but it clearly is based based on a Beach, will have 16” wheels (and so smaller brakes), will not have an awning…and will cost £4746 less than an Ocean.
It does have an electric roof. Same as the ocean.

Think he was implying the base van is same spec as a beach.
16” wheels/smaller discs/150engine etc
Looks to be more like an Ocean / Coast variant.ie Full kitchen & only 4 seats.

Some prefer smaller discs in colder countries as gives them more choice of winter rims/tyres + a touch more payload due to the reduced weight of the smaller wheels/discs. Not having the awning also makes it a bit lighter, so should help improve mpg / emissions overall.

Isn’t the UK Beach now on 17” wheels/ chassis as standard?

Looks to be more like an Ocean / Coast variant.ie Full kitchen & only 4 seats.

Some prefer smaller discs in colder countries as gives them more choice of winter rims/tyres + a touch more payload due to the reduced weight of the smaller wheels/discs. Not having the awning also makes it a bit lighter, so should help improve mpg / emissions overall.

Lithium batteries would give additional weight savings and extra capacity.

Not having the awning also makes it a bit lighter, so should help improve mpg / emissions overall.

I thought the awning was essential to get the vans registered as a camper & thats why they became standard fitment.

It was only the beach tour where it was an option & that was registered as a MPV.

I thought the awning was essential to get the vans registered as a camper & thats why they became standard fitment.

It was only the beach tour where it was an option & that was registered as a MPV.
I thought it was the cooking facilities that designated it as a Camper.

@Tomdbreeze - out of interest, do you now have the full specs confirmed and ready for release or are you also waiting for a VW release tomorrow?

I think DVLA state should have an awning rail, so does not have to be a wind out awning.

If the wheels are as pictured on the California Chris video thumbnail, they look good... And will look better with some all terrain tyres if you want that look.

If the wheels are as pictured on the California Chris video thumbnail, they look good... And will look better with some all terrain tyres if you want that look.
Would the smaller 16” brakes be a concern? Why do most have 17” chassis?

I'm only seeing parking heater as a 2k option. Electric poptop confirmed

16” wheels/brakes
Mirrors don’t fold
No digital cockpit
One sliding rear window not two
No privacy glass in rear
No ACC
No auto dimming mirror
No auto headlights
No auto wipers
No front fogs
No park assist