Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California Surf Model

So I just looked at the configurator…….it looks well specced to me :thumb

The thread has become a little like the bad old “mines better than yours” “It’s not a real camper” ”the Ocean is the only real camper” etc etc.

Choice in a range can never be bad Can it ?

if VW thought it would not sell they simply would not produce a new model Spec. Price point draws people in !

Much of the previous comment in this thread has be conjecture based on little fact, prejudice And poor press reporting, the same happened when the Beach was discontinued and then again when it was reinstated into the Cali range shortly after, presumably due to customer demand.
Only now the Configurator has gone live can the true spec be interrogated properly, allowing prospective customers to make an informed decision of their own choice as to what will suit them And the price point they are willing to consider vs options.

As far as parts bin run out Being used as a derogatory term:
Car manufacturers operate a very sophisticated planning system, one of the aims is to prevent over supply of parts & large stock issues at the factory, suggesting that it’s a parts bin run out would suggest that VW are sitting on vast warehouses of unused parts or open orders with suppliers for parts they didn’t know they had !
Remember that VW have closed the order book on Transporter vans, if they had excess parts issues they would run out parts on a wider line offering them as an incentive And in a shorter time !
VW would have known a long time ago they were going to stop T6.1 production & when, this would have been reflected in forward orders being scaled back, closing the Transporter order book suggests that parts are probably in short supply not over supply!
To suggest that this model is a “parts run out“ is simply a ludicrous statement If you know how vehicle manufacturers work.

Future parts supply would use up any in pipe parts, parts that are manufactured by third parts companies for years after production of a vehicle ceases And is a requirement to ensure future supply of parts availability.

I see Choice as a good thing, it seems many don’t and can’t accept that some people do not want a bog standard Ocean, regardless of the counter argument offered up by many.
@Perfectos is mainly right but close enough for me to agree with the sentiment and purpose of his post.

He is right that while the common terms used are "parts bin" or "run out" in the industry it is not that they are all sat in a warehouse (although the reality is most JIT manufacturers have secret warehouses <1 mile from the production line).

The better description would be "a model that is easy to get cost effective parts for in a short amount of time from JIT manufacturers"

I commented a few days on Cali Chris YouTube posts about the roof.
He’s just replied, adamant it’s manual…

secret warehouses
:D Now your sounding silly,

there are no secret warehouses, just warehouses close to the point of use to save time and transport too & from the manufacturing facility which often want stock delivered to the manufacturing facility at short notice & is part of the contract agreed with the supplier (of the parts).

call it what you will, parts will still be required for millions of transporters world wide, there would be no reason for VW to run stock down as the contracts they have will be rolling contracts and they have decided when the production of transporters stops so they are in control of the supply chain and “parts bin” stock long in advance of what many might think.

Last edited:
:D Now your sounding silly,

there are no secret warehouses, just warehouses close to the point of use to save time and transport to & from the manufacturing facility which often want stock delivered to the manufacturing facility at short notice & is part of tge contract agtee with tge supplier (of the parts).

cal it what you will, parts will still be required for millions of transporters world wide, there would be no reason for VW to run stock down as the contracts they have will be rolling contracts and they have decided when the production o transporters stops so they are in control of the supply chain and “parts bin” stock long in advance of what many might think.
I don't believe I was in disagreement with you, in fact the opposite, but from your response it's clear you wish to foster a disagreement.

In which case I'll leave it as no interest in a tit for tat with another member using their Google skills vs my industry experience.

Enjoy your day.

I don't believe I was in disagreement with you, in fact the opposite, but from your response it's clear you wish to foster a disagreement.

In which case I'll leave it as no interest in a tit for tat with another member using their Google skills vs my industry experience.

Enjoy your day.
No interest in fostering disagreement here either, I merely point out there are no “secret“ parts warehouses as you suggest.
I am merely stating fact, where fiction Was on offer.

No interest in fostering disagreement here either, I merely point out there are no “secret“ parts warehouses as you suggest.
I am merely stating fact, where fiction Was on offer.
Having built a number of secret warehouses for motoring component manufacturers over the years I can confirm they do exist.
The fact that you are unaware of them just shows how effective they are.

Having built a number of secret warehouses for motoring component manufacturers over the years I can confirm they do exist.
The fact that you are unaware of them just shows how effective they are.
Ditto. I implemented, for the OEM, four of them across Europe. But hey ho, you can't fight "alternative facts" and the power of Google.

Last edited:
This still might be worth a punt, if you go bare bones on the spec to keep the cost as lower as possible.
Perhaps 3 sensible additions.

Towbar
Satnav
Privacy glass

This still might be worth a punt, if you go bare bones on the spec to keep the cost as lower as possible.
Perhaps 3 sensible additions.

Towbar
Satnav
Privacy glass
plus awning, fogs, 2nd sliding window for me minimum.
Why can't you have a black awning for god's sake :headbang

I still think the key attribute of this model is nothing to do with spec really, which if you look at the actual cost gap, is the speed of delivery. These are all due, AFAIK, to be delivered this summer. So if you want one asap, this is your only alternative vs a new one ordered to your exact spec. Cost gap wise, they slightly richer than the price of all parts removed, but that is very usually the case on these.

I still think the key attribute of this model is nothing to do with spec really, which if you look at the actual cost gap, is the speed of delivery. These are all due, AFAIK, to be delivered this summer. So if you want one asap, this is your only alternative vs a new one ordered to your exact spec. Cost gap wise, they slightly richer than the price of all parts removed, but that is very usually the case on these.
The lead time is 3-4 months for delivery anyway. You can get a fully spec’d ocean just as quick.

The lead time is 3-4 months for delivery anyway. You can get a fully spec’d ocean just as quick.
Must be speeding up considerably as my sister is still awaiting hers ordered in Oct. I recall an earlier article saying the key to these was almost immediate delivery. In that case, at that price and that spec, I do personally struggle to see the appeal.

Must be speeding up considerably as my sister is still awaiting hers ordered in Oct. I recall an earlier article saying the key to these was almost immediate delivery. In that case, at that price and that spec, I do personally struggle to see the appeal.
I would say if she has waited that time could be a specific option delaying it? Has she ordered two tone?

So what’s the actual lead times on these?

Is there any difference between the lead times of the Surf vs the Ocean?

The ‘event’ yesterday doesn’t seem much of one, £1,000 off and the launch of the Surf right?

I was expecting guaranteed delivery times for vans put together as a package to clear all California parts (more like Tesla do it) but seems it’s still custom orders.

So what’s changed?

@Tomdbreeze

Just wondered if VW has released a amended Price List or Brochure with the Surf included yet?

No sign of it on the website.

@Tomdbreeze

Just wondered if VW has released a amended Price List or Brochure with the Surf included yet?

No sign of it on the website.
On the site now - scroll a little way down this page:
1679524639619.png

If you spec it with zero options, you get:

1679524824615.png

On the site now - scroll a little way down this page:
View attachment 106291

If you spec it with zero options, you get:

View attachment 106292
Yeah I see that. I notice that VW promote a new model with a stock photo making it look better! It states “Image shown includes optional equipment” but an awning and fog lights are not even an option!

:D:D

I got a bit excited about the release of a new model and I’m a bit disappointed. I must be trying to convince myself into thinking the more that I look, that it will be available with the options I would want!! :D

Yeah I see that. I notice that VW promote a new model with a stock photo making it look better! It states “Image shown includes optional equipment” but an awning and fog lights are not even an option!

:D:D

I got a bit excited about the release of a new model and I’m a bit disappointed. I must be trying to convince myself into thinking the more that I look, that it will be available with the options I would want!! :D
The awning is listed as an option for the Surf, but only in silver. Didn't look for fogs. Have another look and you'll find it.

The awning is listed as an option for the Surf, but only in silver. Didn't look for fogs. Have another look and you'll find it.
You are correct, the silver awning is available but the black awning isn’t.

It’s been confirmed that fogs aren’t.

Back