Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California T6.1 Stops production 1st June!

2nd hand Cali values will shoot up once production stops. Given that there is no VW alternative offered.

Now is an ideal time to buy a good spec 2nd hand van.

I disagree.
The current chassis is so long in the tooth and tired. All the converters are jumping onto the new platform and getting ready to flood the market with conversions for the new platform.
Once these are around, the T6 will look even more tired…

The conversions on the Transporter that comes co built with ford actually has a lot of hurdles to cover when it comes to conversion into campers. That’s the information I’ve been made aware of.

The conversions on the Transporter that comes co built with ford actually has a lot of hurdles to cover when it comes to conversion into campers. That’s the information I’ve been made aware of.
Tom - linked to JimmyLondon's comment, would be great to be kept in the loop RE Grand Cali facelift.

So if last of the T6.1’s is June I would think the order book for the New California should open sometime in the third quarter with production starting sometime in the fourth quarter.

I disagree.
The current chassis is so long in the tooth and tired. All the converters are jumping onto the new platform and getting ready to flood the market with conversions for the new platform.
But the 6.1 will be a beacon of hope and solidarity. The last brew of a proper VW Campervan.
A vintage edition, one that will clutched to the bosoms of many a die hard VW person through and through. Like a stick of Blackpool rock.
Just a thought

But the 6.1 will be a beacon of hope and solidarity. The last brew of a proper VW Campervan.
A vintage edition, one that will clutched to the bosoms of many a die hard VW person through and through. Like a stick of Blackpool rock.
Just a thought
Agreed, the new one based on the car chassis is such a departure from the OG that proper Calis will be sort after by the cognoscenti. Bit like when Porsche switched from air cooled to water cooled 911's. The former are increasing in value year on year. The latter just nose dive in value.

Agreed, the new one based on the car chassis is such a departure from the OG that proper Calis will be sort after by the cognoscenti. Bit like when Porsche switched from air cooled to water cooled 911's. The former are increasing in value year on year. The latter just nose dive in value.
Was just about to say, it’s the 993

Just a thought
Life moves on. Euro5 is being banned or charged in many cities and Euro6 will follow. If you want a Campervan to use all year round and as a daily driver then the writing is on the wall. The Private diesel is on the way out.

Life moves on. Euro5 is being banned or charged in many cities and Euro6 will follow. If you want a Campervan to use all year round and as a daily driver then the writing is on the wall. The Private diesel is on the way out.
I’ll be pushing up daisies before that comes to full fruition.

The date will be pushed back again. Plenty of legs left in the diesel market.

Guys, guys, listen to yourselves…
I loves a Volkswagen van, owned most of them. But you’re getting carried away with nostalgia of the previous versions. The infamous Volkswagen build and style disappeared post T4. A T6.1 does not have an ounce of charm or charisma of the older T1 or T2s maybe even a T3.
Since the T5 it really is like most of the others on the market, granted I prefer the drive of the Transporter and seating position. Otherwise, the competition (build, reliability and customisation) is now at VW levels.

The new vans looks great and more importantly it’s finally moving on. The platform has needed this for a while…
You can bury your heads in the sand if you want. But 2/3 years from now, the new platform will be established and everyone will want the latest model…

:thumb

Not for many many many years. Just have to look at the transition to alternatives in Europe to see how far that is away.
The old ones will keep going but with all the emission control features of modern diesels, compared with petrol will reduce the market. We have turned away from climate emissions , CO2, to environmental emissions and that's where the diesel will fail for the private owners. Adblue and DPF faults will make petrol, petrol hybrids and BEV vehicles the norm for the private owner.

I’ll be pushing up daisies before that comes to full fruition.

The date will be pushed back again. Plenty of legs left in the diesel market.
For the heavy commercial market maybe whether that will be the case for private or delivery to door vehicles remains to be seen.

I loves a Volkswagen van, owned most of them. But you’re getting carried away with nostalgia of the previous versions. The infamous Volkswagen build and style disappeared post T4. A T6.1 does not have an ounce of charm or charisma of the older T1 or T2s maybe even a T3.
Since the T5 it really is like most of the others on the market, granted I prefer the drive of the Transporter and seating position. Otherwise, the competition (build, reliability and customisation) is now at VW levels.

The new vans looks great and more importantly it’s finally moving on. The platform has needed this for a while…
You can bury your heads in the sand if you want. But 2/3 years from now, the new platform will be established and everyone will want the latest model…

Thats what they said about the Porsche 993. Everything that came before will be compared with the new. The MV is just a car in sheep's clothing with some dubious design elements.

I think everyone would love to love the new model, upgrades and updates are usually popular afterall. The issue, I think, is that the new van simply isn't large enough to accommodate a functioning camper.

Boooo, hissss, raaaaaaa, boooo, hisssss, etc
(Pretend you’re at the theatre and the evil baddy has just come on stage ;) lol.
But I do hear you.
For some folk they have no option, when they want new. Time will tell though.
(BTW, I love my old Saab vert, 14 years old and nothing compares to it, not for looks, in my eyes, for cost, and 4 seats. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder)
If I have 27 years left driving, I’m hoping the VW will still be going if I look after it and maintain it.

I think everyone would love to love the new model, upgrades and updates are usually popular afterall. The issue, I think, is that the new van simply isn't large enough to accommodate a functioning camper.
All depends what you want from a camper. Family and population demographics are changing. If you want a touring vehicle that can be used as an everyday vehicle then the new California fits the bill. If you want to stay on site for weeks and take everything , including the kitchen sink, as many seem to want to, then get a trailer or a bigger van..

I disagree.

Of course they are, that’s what they’ll have to convert and sell. Personally, I’d prefer a factory built vehicle over a panel van with the roof chopped off.

The question is, what will the new MV Cali cost? 80, 90?

All depends what you want from a camper. Family and population demographics are changing. If you want a touring vehicle that can be used as an everyday vehicle then the new California fits the bill. If you want to stay on site for weeks and take everything , including the kitchen sink, as many seem to want to, then get a trailer or a bigger van..
With the T6 we have it all. Space, storage, convenience as a daily driver, <2m height, maximal towing capability, while the MV is a compromise on so many levels. Who cares if the Transporter isn't the latest tech and design. It's a camper van and one that performs amazingly well even when driving all day. The deficiencies in handling like body roll can be easily improved with some suspension upgrades for not that much money. Stiffer ARB's are a good start.

For me, the Multivan Cali can come and I will view it as such: the latest California. The people who buy one are, just like us, fans of a small campervan full of fun quirks and features. I would think it would be a shame if they were viewed as not having a 'real' California because time doesn't stand still and something new is possible, right? At the risk of being crushed, the following: I mentioned a long time ago that it is a twenty-year-old van and although Volkswagen did everything it could to keep it somewhat up to date in terms of driving behavior, it is difficult for me to deny it that he can no longer fully keep up with modern designed vans (quite logical but that's how it is). Brought home yesterday in a much younger van designed for passenger transport (not a police van for clarification;)) and this drives smoother, quieter, I put it as ‘more modern’. The handling is not bad, I don't mean that, but it is just not up to par anymore. Do I mind? No, actually not: for me it is quite sufficient and I am satisfied. I also like the appearance of ours but the more I see a multivan, the more I experience it as 'recognizable'. Will the latest versions of the California (the ones that still meet the emission standards) be worth more money now? I don't care but I suspect not. Why would they? They hold their value very well and will remain so for some time, but they are not rare finds that can be pulled from a forest or from a shed like some old Volkswagen campervans. Is it the last of the Mohicans: yes, what comes behind it is so different (two sliding doors with all the loss of storage space as a result? A slide-out refrigerator?) And above all, not based on the Transporter. I suspect that the new California will drive well, but I still have some questions about the camper part. Now, we'll see. I'll definitely keep ours, but I'm curiously looking forward to the Multivan California. I am interested but nothing more: I am not going to purchase it to replace our t6.1 coast. Ours is what I expected: a good travel companion and it certainly suffices as a daily means of transport. I still enjoy it every day. Last Friday I took our daughter with some class friends (ours has a fifth seat, ordered for such occasions) to their destination for the class trip and the California as it is now is also a dream vehicle for 9 year olds; One offered 55,000 euros to buy it, but I declined: too low in amount :Grin :D:D

Last edited:
Agree wth Calibusje.

When the T6.1 came out, everyone called it pig ugly. When the Quasimodo bike rack came out, everyone called it scaffolding. When the new Cali Concept was announced, everyone poopoo'd it.

What's new eventually becomes old, becomes sentimental and someones kids will grow up with the new Cali Concept and become something legendary and nostalgic for them. The whole debate on size is irrelevant; we're driving SMALL campervans, and those with more space give us odd looks too.

I'm perfectly happy with our T6, and arguably would say it's the sweet spot. It's got the simplistic control panel with far more technical resilience than the T6.1, and far more legacy parts available re internal cabin. One of our concerns with a Grand is the limited life so far for example, and bespoke parts.

The new California Concept will undoubtedly be far more successful than the existing Cali as it'll appear to a wider base - more tech, more daily usability, and so on. And those individuals wont be comparing the T6.1 to the Multivan - they'll just be looking at what they have infront of them.

Agree wth Calibusje.

When the T6.1 came out, everyone called it pig ugly. When the Quasimodo bike rack came out, everyone called it scaffolding. When the new Cali Concept was announced, everyone poopoo'd it.

What's new eventually becomes old, becomes sentimental and someones kids will grow up with the new Cali Concept and become something legendary and nostalgic for them. The whole debate on size is irrelevant; we're driving SMALL campervans, and those with more space give us odd looks too.

I'm perfectly happy with our T6, and arguably would say it's the sweet spot. It's got the simplistic control panel with far more technical resilience than the T6.1, and far more legacy parts available re internal cabin. One of our concerns with a Grand is the limited life so far for example, and bespoke parts.

The new California Concept will undoubtedly be far more successful than the existing Cali as it'll appear to a wider base - more tech, more daily usability, and so on. And those individuals wont be comparing the T6.1 to the Multivan - they'll just be looking at what they have infront of them.
You might be right. If the beds are the same width as the concept (around 10cm narrower than a T6.1) then that’s nearly into single bed territory for 2 adults. That is a step too far so it won’t be for us.

Back