Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

California upholstery upgrade

SteveU

SteveU

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
New to this site and new to California ownership which we have just ordered and arrives in the spring! A great buying experience from the dealer in Liverpool but having signed on the dotted line feel a bit disappointed with the options on the upholstery. We really wanted a leather option. Having done a bit of research, an after market re-trim looks like an option. Bit nervous on a brand new van but can anyone recommend an upholsterer we can entrust our life's savings with?

Have a chat to Mark at Wakefield Van Conversions, he has an inhouse upholsterer and would be happy to show you around his premises. He did a great job on our van conversion 4 years ago.

Check out the fitted covers in the club shop, had exactly the same thoughts and disappointed that VW haven’t addressed what’s been fed back for several years. I’ll post some pics later ( Or search my earlier posts ) but ours have been fitted for three years, still as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a chat to Mark at Wakefield Van Conversions, he has an inhouse upholsterer and would be happy to show you around his premises. He did a great job on our van conversion 4 years ago.
Many thanks - will check these people out shortly

Trim technik in the Wirral re trimmed ours. Did an excellent job.

Had mine done by DK Schweizer

VW Dealers use them for their retrofits and lots of conversion companies use them they are’s based in Colchester.

the thread below shows various options also a link to a wider forum search to assist your homework

They (Liverpool) have people they use so you can always as them to sort it

Worth a try but when mine arrived with them in January they wouldn't discuss even adding sidebars or wheels let alone 3rd party upholstery. We were in lockdown though to be fair.

A dealer will simply put a healthy mark up on the price from a third party approved supplier and probably complicate the process to boot.

Had mine done by DK Schweizer

VW Dealers use them for their retrofits and lots of conversion companies use them they are’s based in Colchester.

the thread below shows various options also a link to a wider forum search to assist your homework

Spoke to DK Schweizer today and looking favourite at this point. Thanks for the heads up

A dealer will simply put a healthy mark up on the price from a third party approved supplier and probably complicate the process to boot.
Liverpool have been a bit more forth coming for us and recommend Trim Technik, Leighton vans or Highstone as leather upholsterers that they use?

Spoke to DK Schweizer today and looking favourite at this point. Thanks for the heads up
A tip,

if you have requested colour swatches, take them outside into natural light to get the true colour.

New to this site and new to California ownership which we have just ordered and arrives in the spring! A great buying experience from the dealer in Liverpool but having signed on the dotted line feel a bit disappointed with the options on the upholstery. We really wanted a leather option. Having done a bit of research, an after market re-trim looks like an option. Bit nervous on a brand new van but can anyone recommend an upholsterer we can entrust our life's savings with?
Did you ask the dealer? We didn’t like the material seat coverings and optioned the foe leather and suede seats. I can’t remember the option name

Did you ask the dealer? We didn’t like the material seat coverings and optioned the foe leather and suede seats. I can’t remember the option name
Yes we did look at this but it’s not leather and £1250 seemed a lot for what it was. Thanks for your input

Check out the fitted covers in the club shop, had exactly the same thoughts and disappointed that VW haven’t addressed what’s been fed back for several years. I’ll post some pics later ( Or search my earlier posts ) but ours have been fitted for three years, still as new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought leather offcuts off the web (15 quid) and intend to make socks for the arm rests and possibly seat covers by glueing them (rather than sewing) wife says i am mad. But hey customisation. I will try and if not I will buy a full hide and do it properly.

I bought leather offcuts off the web (15 quid) and intend to make socks for the arm rests and possibly seat covers by glueing them (rather than sewing) wife says i am mad. But hey customisation. I will try and if not I will buy a full hide and do it properly.
a complete hide is about 150 quid I understand? I am disappointed the smell of the offcuts are not strong.

I used Van Haven which are near you in Dorset. Highly recommended and have many other options for "upgrading". Their website has all the details.
Can't beat leather for comfort.

You can buy ready made at, arm rest covers, (full leather) they simply slip over the existing arm rest and are fitted over the original the open sides and end is then tucked into the joint between the plastic / cloth, held captive by the padded arm rest.
This is what the retrimmers do on the arm rest (leave the original material in place and over cover the arm rest) apparently they hold their shape better that way.
I would not contemplate glueing anything onto the existing you will simply ruin the original and make it impossible to remove at any stage in future should you need to.

edit : from a well known multi colour auction site

AA9D87B1-8E45-4FDE-B7BD-A376AB7A5B21.png

You could try Transcal they have a place in Avonmouth and I have seen some of there work and if looks good. I think they also have a place in Scotland as well

You could try Transcal they have a place in Avonmouth and I have seen some of there work and if looks good. I think they also have a place in Scotland as well
I spoke to Transcal and they said they didn't do seats at the Avonmouth branch.

Back