Caliheat

Soton Campers

Soton Campers

Southampton Campers
VIP Member
Trade Advertiser
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Just wondering if people have seen Caliheat and what you think of it? https://www.caliheat.de/ I tried to make my own version and had mixed results. What do others do about keeping upstairs warm? I know hot air rises but I've still found it chilly upstairs. Obviously the bellows is not thermally efficient but just keen to hear what others do.....other than sleep downstairs :)

Obviously the bellows is not thermally efficient but just keen to hear what others do.....other than sleep downstairs :)

A good down-filled duvet, plus a spaniel for really cold nights.

That's good enough for us but you could consider the following options, sorry if stating the obvious:
1. A ducted hot air system (as above or DIY).
2. 'Topper' type cover, and/or internal Isotop system for the bellows.
3. If on electric hook-up, rig up one of the very small fan heaters to direct warm air upwards into the 'tent'.

Insanely happy using this DIY for 2 years https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/heating-the-top-tent.21678/
I don't like 2 things about caliheat design.
1) Getting just a portion of flow vent. Even with my tube covering whole vent, there is enough leaking to warm up downstairs.
2) Top of the tube is connected above the bed.
After some experiments, I find that mounting a top of the tube slightly lower under the bed lets part of the airflow to warm the bed from underneath. And half of it goes upstairs.
Running even on 2-3 level heater at -10 outside, you might get too warm upstairs due to a tent is a small airpocket.
So we open the windows's zips in order to have warm but fresh air.

Resurrecting this thread sorry. Anyone have the Caliheat and have comments?

Resurrecting this thread as it seems useful to keep Caliheat questions as consolidated as possible.

I'm going to get the 50d Nord sleeping board but am torn about getting the Caliheat too. I thought it made sense but now am not sure. Some questions for those with the full system:

If you have the board with the bayonet fitting (for the Caliheat), does that reduce sound separation between upstairs and downstairs when the heating tube isn't connected? (e.g. is there a hole?)

I can't imagine needing as much heat downstairs as in the popup roof, given the upstairs has open vents and fabric sides. I'm worried about being in a situation where to get enough heat upstairs, the downstairs is roasting. (I guess I could crack a window downstairs.) Can anyone with the system say how hard/easy it is to balance heat between the upstairs and downstairs?

thanks.

The whole has a cover that bayonette-fixes on. It's obviously just a small piece of plastic, but it does the job.

RE heat distribution, you can place the 'vent' on any of the heater vent bars, meaning you can have it covering loads of the vent, or only a small portion. You'll never get the heat perfectly balanced between them (owing to the fabric roof and vents), but it helps maintain a little bit more of a welcoming temperature.

We’ve used an electric under blanket, the sort that you can leave on all night. It makes an enormous difference and if you get one that doesn’t have electronic controls you can run it from the inverter. The only other thing you may need is a nightcap.

We’ve used an electric under blanket, the sort that you can leave on all night. It makes an enormous difference and if you get one that doesn’t have electronic controls you can run it from the inverter. The only other thing you may need is a nightcap.
Thanks for this option, Keith, I’d not considered an inverter powered electric blanket. Herself has Raynards (cold extremities), this might be the perfect solution for a happy Wife...
If you happen to know the size, make & model of yours, I’ve found I generally end up with a second or more before finding something that’s either the ideal size, doesn’t break immediately or plain old, works just right.
Many thanks

Thanks for this option, Keith, I’d not considered an inverter powered electric blanket. Herself has Raynards (cold extremities), this might be the perfect solution for a happy Wife...
If you happen to know the size, make & model of yours, I’ve found I generally end up with a second or more before finding something that’s either the ideal size, doesn’t break immediately or plain old, works just right.
Many thanks
Originally we used a simple, single bed, 3 temperature settings, just low medium and high blanket. We bought it while staying near Aviemore, the weather had turned bitter and for £20 was a godsend. It’s a real luxury getting into a warm bed! This one had a simple switch control and we could use it with the inverter if not on hook-up. There are plenty of similar ones available if you look around the £20 mark.
Now we have a bells and whistles one. I’ve, very carefully to avoid any wires, stitched it onto a sheet that goes over the mattress so that it can’t move in the night. This one is electronic, can be left on all night and has zones so that you can just keep your feet warm for instance. The downside is we could only use it on hook-up, although now we have a 6.1 it may run from the inverter but I’m not sure I would risk it.

The whole has a cover that bayonette-fixes on. It's obviously just a small piece of plastic, but it does the job.

RE heat distribution, you can place the 'vent' on any of the heater vent bars, meaning you can have it covering loads of the vent, or only a small portion. You'll never get the heat perfectly balanced between them (owing to the fabric roof and vents), but it helps maintain a little bit more of a welcoming temperature.

Thanks. I've now watched your video review from earlier in the year, which I hadn't seen before. If anything it sort of amplifies my worries re the bottom overheating while the top is still cool. Looking at the attachment for the B pillar, I don't understand why they didn't make it bigger so that more of the heat could be directed upstairs. At that price, it should just work, not sort of work.

I also found the finish of the Caliheat etc pretty terrible for something that costs well over 100 euro. It looks like a bog standard dryer vent with the standard wire attachment mechanism. It's puzzling that for a pricey product like that, they didn't design something less ghastly to look at (and something that doesn't look like it should have cost under £10 at a DIY store).

Do you happen to remember how much taxes and duty were? I've read some thread on this but struggle to understand the system. 50 Nord doesn't seem to be taking off EU VAT at checkout.

Do you happen to remember how much taxes and duty were? I've read some thread on this but struggle to understand the system. 50 Nord doesn't seem to be taking off EU VAT at checkout.
I would contact 50 Nord directly. If they are registered for UK VAT then they will add it. If they are not registered, ask them to email an invoice without VAT and details of how to transfer the payment. They should then be able to remove the VAT.
If VAT is not payed, you should be asked to pay UK VAT by the delivery company. Any purchases over £135 will also be subject to customs duty when the package is delivered.

Originally we used a simple, single bed, 3 temperature settings, just low medium and high blanket. We bought it while staying near Aviemore, the weather had turned bitter and for £20 was a godsend. It’s a real luxury getting into a warm bed! This one had a simple switch control and we could use it with the inverter if not on hook-up. There are plenty of similar ones available if you look around the £20 mark.
Now we have a bells and whistles one. I’ve, very carefully to avoid any wires, stitched it onto a sheet that goes over the mattress so that it can’t move in the night. This one is electronic, can be left on all night and has zones so that you can just keep your feet warm for instance. The downside is we could only use it on hook-up, although now we have a 6.1 it may run from the inverter but I’m not sure I would risk it.
I would stay away from cheap electronic heating blankets for fear of it starting a fire.

Back