Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How cold can it be for upstairs sleeping?

We don't have a topper, so when it's frosty we wrap up warm and have a big eiderdown over us. It's awful in the winter up there if it's wet and windy though, and then we cuddle up downstairs. I just can't sleep with the rain blowing in the ventilator mesh!!!

I just can't sleep with the rain blowing in the ventilator mesh.

That's one of the best bits, it sends us to sleep it's like being on the sea in a storm apart from you don't get seasick :thumb

We don't have a topper, so when it's frosty we wrap up warm and have a big eiderdown over us. It's awful in the winter up there if it's wet and windy though, and then we cuddle up downstairs. I just can't sleep with the rain blowing in the ventilator mesh!!!

One of the topper advantages is it prevents the wind / rain blowing in the bellows vents. With no topper on I have used duct tape to block the upwind one on occasion but I could do with something that could be stuck on with Velcro.

One of the topper advantages is it prevents the wind / rain blowing in the bellows vents. With no topper on I have used duct tape to block the upwind one on occasion but I could do with something that could be stuck on with Velcro.
I made fluffy 'ears' (wipe clean pvc fabric backed with fluffy fabric) which I put over the vents when we're sitting in the van in windy weather in the winter. I stick each side with duck tape. On a windy and wet night at Applecross when we were sleeping up top they blew off and the rain blew in the vents - not particularly comfortable! I know toppers are a good idea, but the reason we love our van so much is the lack of faff, and I cannot persuade my husband to faff with a topper. Not a problem really though, we just sleep downstairs if it's rough outside. There's only the two of us, so no worry except keeping the van clear of clutter so bed downstairs bed can go up and down without excessive rearrangements!

Although my body can take the lower temps, and decent sleeping bag is enough, my lungs aren't great for it and I get congested and snotty if the air is too cold.

I am definitely going to give that tubing approach a go, although I dont know how it will react with my Webasto which is thermostatic rather than set at 1 to 5. I had to fit the extra room temp sensor to stop it from making the lower part of the eleventy billion degrees C when set to 20c. :)

Last edited:
We are currently in northern Spain (Asturias) and planning our travel around the weather (and open campsites) So far we have been fine at night down to about 9 degrees, but I am wondering what others use as a planning temp before deciding they have to sleep downstairs.

We only use the heater in the morning (thank you remote control) but also wondering if people sleep upstairs in colder weather with the heater on low all night. Of course, in Spain we can always drive south...
We slept “upstairs” in the coldest of winters, remember the one about 6 years ago? - we went to Eskdale in the Lake District for Christmas and I seem to recall in went down to -20 degrees! We had hook up and an under electric blanket, it stays up there just in case it’s really cold - warm as toast and had a fabulous Christmas!

My experience of the warmth of other bodies in beds has been more positive :) But I do remember reading about electrically-heated toilet seats, and having a very similar reaction to yours!

.......;).......

Ohhh, have to say the whole electric blanket thing makes me go cold - maybe it's a (really*) old person's thing but when we stay with the (ancient) folks in law they always have the things on - like getting into a bed that someone else has been in all night or they've just removed a body from....urggh. Give me crisp cold bed sheets please. :D

* I'm not that young anymore myself....

We are currently in northern Spain (Asturias) and planning our travel around the weather (and open campsites) So far we have been fine at night down to about 9 degrees, but I am wondering what others use as a planning temp before deciding they have to sleep downstairs.

We only use the heater in the morning (thank you remote control) but also wondering if people sleep upstairs in colder weather with the heater on low all night. Of course, in Spain we can always drive south...
I’ve done the Alps in winter.
No heater needed whilst sleeping. Just a good sleeping bag and woolly hat

Anyone has an idea to insolate the steel frame upstairs ? The Sheriff continue to complain it’s too cold when touching it during sleep.
Would like to keep it fixed.

It suprised me that there was so little insulation in the metalwork leading to serious consideration on the frame round the upstairs bed in cold weather. There is nothing in the back cupboard, under the sink or in the back door. Areas where I have had cause to look. Converters will line large areas to limit heat loss/gain but VW have chosen not to do anything other than sound supression on the larger panels.
Alan

When I bought my Cali10 years ago, I had the sense to install a Branderup Gore-tex liner. I believe t makes a huge difference. I sleep upstairs in temps down to about zero. Just a duvet and maybe a sleeping bag opened out on top, if it's really cold. That amount of bedding can stay on the bed when you push it up during the day, and the liner doesn't have to be taken down when you take the roof down.

It suprised me that there was so little insulation in the metalwork leading to serious consideration on the frame round the upstairs bed in cold weather. There is nothing in the back cupboard, under the sink or in the back door. Areas where I have had cause to look. Converters will line large areas to limit heat loss/gain but VW have chosen not to do anything other than sound supression on the larger panels.
Alan

The Cali is not insulated in any way anywhere. Any material behind panels is sound insulation. Converters both pro and amateur go nuts for insulation, endless topics on this on the VW forums. With an interior heater you just don’t need it and you avoid all the condensation issues and the vain hope of creating a perfect moisture barrier. It just can’t be done and the pints of moisture in a camper have to go somewhere.

My experience of the warmth of other bodies in beds has been more positive :) But I do remember reading about electrically-heated toilet seats, and having a very similar reaction to yours!
Is it possible to get an electric heated seat for my Porta Porto 335 do you think??

No, home made. The hook piece comes from the same DIY shop as the hose.

BTW, as a reaction to the video, we never have had the heater above level 2. And yes, the idea is widespread.
found something that looks like it in a nearby DIY shop
https://www.gamma.nl/assortiment/ivc-air-vlakkanaal-110x55-mm-verloopstuk-wit-o-100-mm/p/B265869

But how did you attach it to the heater vent?
And what tube is that, is it an insulated one? Not PVC I think (might melt?!)
Perhaps something like this? : https://www.ventilatieshop.com/flex...g-combiconnect-nuova-b-zwart-102mm-per-meter/

I know toppers are a good idea, but the reason we love our van so much is the lack of faff, and I cannot persuade my husband to faff with a topper.

We have a Cali-Cozy internal 'topper'.

https://www.comfortzleisure.net/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=102

Admittedly it's more expensive than an external topper but is zero faff because, once fitted, it is left in situ.

Advantages:
- It's always in place (raises and lowers with the roof)
- Keeps the interior of the van much warmer
- Cuts out the wind (and the rain) that blows through the vents but still permits ventilation
- Reduces sunlight through the canvas so better for sleeping during summer months
- Waterproof, so roof can be closed wet without making the upper mattress damp
- The bellows side and front windows can still be opened

Thoroughly recommended.

Alan
And the Diesel Parking Heater.:thumb

Admittedly it's more expensive than an external topper but is zero faff because, once fitted, it is left in situ.

Advantages:
- Cuts out the wind (and the rain) that blows through the vents but still permits ventilation
- Reduces sunlight through the canvas so better for sleeping during summer months

Thoroughly recommended.
But the canvas still gets wet and so can the CaliCozy. You should take care that both are thoroughly dry before storage of more than a few days.

We also have the Cali Cozy and wouldn't do winter camping without.
The disadvantage , on the beach, is the closing the roof is a bit harder. Especially when lending/renting out the car to others.
The cali cozy doesn't get wet because the fabric seems PVC(?) coated on the outside. Still if the last night from a camping trip was wet or there was moisture, I open the roof on a dry day at home for a couple of hours to let it dry out

The Cali Cozy works brilliantly, no faff because it stays in place all year. It brightens the whole van due to it being white in colour not grey like the bellows.
Also keeps us warm / cool.

We often sleep downstairs because we like it. We used some electrical thing last February (-22 Celcius), worked for us. We only used the heater on level 2. but as above: Calicap/ something similar and good duvet/sleeping bags are key
Enjoy your trip and share some pics!

I have just bought 2 electric blankets from Lidle which are great as they are quite spongy for comfort and have extra warm bit by feet with short extention lead can hook up both as hubby slept above have variable setting timer thermostat £17 result

6A3F4555-F976-4942-A2D6-63B36028871C.jpeg We always sleep up top when skiing. Good double sleeping bag and the heater on low - Very comfortable!

Mmmmmm, all very interesting.
Me?
Well being a true Wesleyan Methodist I take the spirit of Scotland, sometimes Ireland, for about two or three hours before retiring to my pit.......if I can find it. Works very well indeed. Hic.

Advantages:

Thoroughly recommended.
That looks brilliant but **£420**!!!!! Yikes! I just can't justify that - we'll carry on sleeping downstairs in the wilder weather. I know someone's going to say if you spend 50 grand on a van blah blah, but that's why we haven't got any money left!!!

That looks brilliant but **£420**!!!!! Yikes! I just can't justify that - we'll carry on sleeping downstairs in the wilder weather. I know someone's going to say if you spend 50 grand on a van blah blah, but that's why we haven't got any money left!!!
The Cali Cozy from Comfort wasn’t £420 when we got one, it was about half that but sadly no longer available.*

If we had to replace our Cali Cozy I wouldn’t hesitate to pay £420 for the Brandrup one, it really is worth having for us. TBH I think VW should provide a lined bellows, lines hoods have been available on convertible cars for some years now.

* Correction that link looks like it is available, but it says out of stock .....

The Cali Cozy from Comfort wasn’t £420, it was about half that but sadly no longer available.

If we had to replace our Cali Cozy I wouldn’t hesitate to pay £420 for the Brandrup one, it really is worth having for us. TBH I think VW should provide a lined bellows, lines hoods have been available on convertible cars for some years now.
I get what you're saying. If I had a spare 420 quid I would probably buy one, but I've just paid off the Cali finance and moved house, so am completely skint!

I get what you're saying. If I had a spare 420 quid I would probably buy one, but I've just paid off the Cali finance and moved house, so am completely skint!
Before we got the Cozy we found a big improvement in the downstairs temperature by putting a blanket hanging off the upstairs bed in the upper position and pegging it at the bottom, thereby making an air gap similar to the Cozy. Of course it doesn’t work with bed down so you still have to sleep downstairs!

Back