Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How cold can it be for upstairs sleeping?

CDinFrance

CDinFrance

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We are currently in northern Spain (Asturias) and planning our travel around the weather (and open campsites) So far we have been fine at night down to about 9 degrees, but I am wondering what others use as a planning temp before deciding they have to sleep downstairs.

We only use the heater in the morning (thank you remote control) but also wondering if people sleep upstairs in colder weather with the heater on low all night. Of course, in Spain we can always drive south...

We are currently in northern Spain (Asturias) and planning our travel around the weather (and open campsites) So far we have been fine at night down to about 9 degrees, but I am wondering what others use as a planning temp before deciding they have to sleep downstairs.

We only use the heater in the morning (thank you remote control) but also wondering if people sleep upstairs in colder weather with the heater on low all night. Of course, in Spain we can always drive south...
I've slept in the upper berth at -6C. With suitable bedding, I'd be happy at even colder temperatures.

Many owners use Cali's for skiing as we do, when very cold we use a topper as this makes a big difference in temperature up top and keeps snow out of the roof mechanism. Winter sleeping bag allows well into sub zero temperatures with no heating on in the van, if you are on hook up you could use a small electric heater or use the van heater, we tend not to.

Bart & Marga's hose extension looks like it could be useful.

The OP is asking a "how long is a piece of string" question. Everyone differs in their thermal tolerance/comfort. There are big differences between individuals that vary with gender, age, what you're used to at home, etc etc.

Outside air temperature isn't much of a yardstick on its own, because the wind speed will have such a big effect in heat loss from the roof 'tent'.

However, as a sample of one for what it's worth: I have been happy to sleep upstairs (under a good goose-down duvet) in all UK winter temperatures, ie down to about minus 5 or so, and without bothering with the topper.

When it's cold I'll usually have the diesel heater on low (setting 1 or maybe 2) to keep the van warm downstairs and to take the chill off upstairs.

I use a similar home made one but that looks shop bought, if so can i ask where from?
No, home made. The hook piece comes from the same DIY shop as the hose.

BTW, as a reaction to the video, we never have had the heater above level 2. And yes, the idea is widespread.

Last edited:
Yeh, its the hook piece i'm after.

My current version i've incorporated a small fan into the top which drawers the air through from downstairs.

No, home made. The hook piece comes from the same DIY shop as the hose.

BTW, as a reaction to the video, we never have had the heater above level 2. And yes, the idea is widespread.

If you are on a hookup the best suggestion I have heard was to use a sleep on top electric blanket. Has worked brilliantly for us in cold temperatures and easy to switch on and off from bed as is needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you are on a hookup the best suggestion I have heard was to use a sleep on top electric blanket. Has worked brilliantly for us in cold temperatures and easy to switch on and off from bed as is needed.

I'd bet there will be a 12v version of those. It would drain the leisure batteries fairly quickly but you could just run it for an hour in the evening to warm up the bed before you 'go upstairs'. Or just keep it on all night if you're at a campsite on EHU.

Personally I wouldn't bother with something like that, but then I'm not nesh. :Grin

.......;).......

Ohhh, have to say the whole electric blanket thing makes me go cold - maybe it's a (really*) old person's thing but when we stay with the (ancient) folks in law they always have the things on - like getting into a bed that someone else has been in all night or they've just removed a body from....urggh. Give me crisp cold bed sheets please. :D

* I'm not that young anymore myself....

Mrs B gets distinctly unfriendly when cold so it’s worth it....but I understand your feeling on the matter.

We have found that the temperature difference between upstairs and downstairs quite surprising how little warm air makes it up. We have the brandrup internal liner which helps but still much colder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the weather i suppose...strange question ...

People sleep on Everest in a tent - get some bed socks

I was more referring to regular camping, rather than survival training, but it seems that many Cali owners are particularly hardy types...

I was more referring to regular camping, rather than survival training, but it seems that many Cali owners are particularly hardy types...

We often sleep downstairs because we like it. We used some electrical thing last February (-22 Celcius), worked for us. We only used the heater on level 2. but as above: Calicap/ something similar and good duvet/sleeping bags are key
Enjoy your trip and share some pics!

We use an electric throw in the winter, 30 mins before bed time and the attic is toastie. I'm a great believer in being comfortable, any fool can be uncomfortable while camping.

Does anyone know where the temperature sensor is for the heating? Because if you pipe the hot air up to the roof, if the heater is controlled by a sensor downstairs somewhere it may not sense the temperature and could operate continuously ..... ?

Does anyone know where the temperature sensor is for the heating? Because if you pipe the hot air up to the roof, if the heater is controlled by a sensor downstairs somewhere it may not sense the temperature and could operate continuously ..... ?

Our hose construction taps off approx. 50% of the hot air, the rest still flows to downstairs. Never had an issue with the heat control.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I believe the temperature Sensor is in the Air Intake which is in the Drivers Step well vent. The Heater outflow vent to the front is still working in those photos so the system should work reasonably normally.

I believe the temperature Sensor is in the Air Intake which is in the Drivers Step well vent. The Heater outflow vent to the front is still working in those photos so the system should work reasonably normally.
Correct. BTW, nowadays we fit the attic hose to the side/front outflow vent, so that the rear vent is free to heat the 'lounge'. We felt that made for a better distribution of heat and wouldn't confuse the sensor. This way upstairs and downstairs are always nice and toasty.

Back