Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change

Agree. I went through all the parts on mine that were removed after 4yrs and 33.5k and they were like new. Ask the garage for the parts that were removed and see for yourselves.
I did the same 4 years ago when I had a cambelt and waterpump change at 19k miles. Everything was absolutely perfect.

We have a VW Beach on a 19 plate, and have been told its due its cabelt shortly because the 4 years is up.
However, its only done 15.5K miles, and VW are quoting £650 for the cambelt and water pump.
Another garage (not VW) has said that the water pump replacement interval is 50K miles, and it could proably be skipped and just do the belt - bit cheaper that way obviously.
I wonder what peoples thoughts are? I read through another post from last year, and the jury seemed still to be out.
thanks
Which Vw centre is quoting £650? Smg in Cowfold quoted me £750

Dear All... Don't shoot the messenger...

Just booked my 2015 Cali in for its yearly Service & MOT at VW Norwich (8yrs old).
I was expecting to have a timing belt change (as per the discussion) but was told that (hot off the press) the latest VW UK advisory is that the change is now on mileage only (140,000) for my 2.0 180BHP TDI....I'm not not sure this information has permeated through to all dealerships.

140K? I call that Russian roulette.

It would be like mainland Europe. 140k miles or 10 years.
Having personally known one to break in an Audi with 96K miles I won't be waiting until 140K to change it.

I always find this topic raises many different opinions on the best way forward.
We have a 2010 Cali. with 76200 miles, its had its cambelt changed twice.
I thought it was due again now (on age only), on examination of the original VW service schedule it states:-
"Every 120,000km/80,000 miles the Poly v belt is checked".

"The camshaft drive belt and tensioner roller are replaced (in countries with high levels of dust) diesel engine only)-Multivan, Caravelle, Transporter only".

"Every 210,000km/140,000 miles The camshaft drive belt and tensioner roller are replaced (diesel engine only)-Multivan, Caravelle, Transporter only".

There is no mention of age being a factor (which I consider strange), ours could be 20 years old before it hits 140k miles, it has to be done before that.
Ours was done at 29k in 2014 and at 44k in 2016 both at the same main dealer, that can't be right either, unless the previous owner/s asked for it to be done.

So it remains a mystery, you have to make your own choice for your own peace of mind and your own pocket...

One thing is certain the best time to change it is just before it snaps!!

I always find this topic raises many different opinions on the best way forward.
We have a 2010 Cali. with 76200 miles, its had its cambelt changed twice.
I thought it was due again now (on age only), on examination of the original VW service schedule it states:-
"Every 120,000km/80,000 miles the Poly v belt is checked".

"The camshaft drive belt and tensioner roller are replaced (in countries with high levels of dust) diesel engine only)-Multivan, Caravelle, Transporter only".

"Every 210,000km/140,000 miles The camshaft drive belt and tensioner roller are replaced (diesel engine only)-Multivan, Caravelle, Transporter only".

There is no mention of age being a factor (which I consider strange), ours could be 20 years old before it hits 140k miles, it has to be done before that.
Ours was done at 29k in 2014 and at 44k in 2016 both at the same main dealer, that can't be right either, unless the previous owner/s asked for it to be done.

So it remains a mystery, you have to make your own choice for your own peace of mind and your own pocket...

One thing is certain the best time to change it is just before it snaps!!
And some say the best time to change a tyre is just before it bursts……

Dear All... Don't shoot the messenger...

Just booked my 2015 Cali in for its yearly Service & MOT at VW Norwich (8yrs old).
I was expecting to have a timing belt change (as per the discussion) but was told that (hot off the press) the latest VW UK advisory is that the change is now on mileage only (140,000) for my 2.0 180BHP TDI....I'm not not sure this information has permeated through to all dealerships.
Just received the same message from Breeze Poole. This is the official guidance from VW UK now apparently - and there’s seemingly not even a 10 year limit on it so far as she explained…. Just the 140k miles. Of course it’s pleasing to have a relaxation from the draconian 4-yearly requirement but, wow, this seems like an over correction on their part!!

Will give myself an extra year though - no rush now is there……

FYI - prices as at October 2023 I obtained for belt and water pump change by ringing round a few places recommended on here:
- VTec (Salisbury) £563
- RevolutionVW £599
- KarTechnic (Poole) £719
- Breeze (Poole) £768

* Breeze will price match a written quote using OEM parts within a 5 miles radius

We were told the same from our dealer when I booked our next service and enquired about needing the cam belt done

Just received the same message from Breeze Poole. This is the official guidance from VW UK now apparently - and there’s seemingly not even a 10 year limit on it so far as she explained…. Just the 140k miles. Of course it’s pleasing to have a relaxation from the draconian 4-yearly requirement but, wow, this seems like an over correction on their part!!

Will give myself an extra year though - no rush now is there……

FYI - prices as at October 2023 I obtained for belt and water pump change by ringing round a few places recommended on here:
- VTec (Salisbury) £563
- RevolutionVW £599
- KarTechnic (Poole) £719
- Breeze (Poole) £768

* Breeze will price match a written quote using OEM parts within a 5 miles radius
ALL VW dealers will price match using a written Quote and OEM parts within a 5 mile radius. Have you ever tried to get a Written quote off any garage when they know you will have the work done at a VW Dealer 4.9 miles away.
I tried it and nobody would give a written quote plus the OEM parts are so expensive to buy for a non VW Garage. VW garages get fairly hefty discounts for OEM parts they use.

Had mine serviced at main dealer last week and asked about the “new” guidance on cam belt replacement….. they confirmed the new mileage based change but said they still recommend a change at 4 years! The rationale (as I understood it) being that the actual belt make up/design has not changed, so it would still need changing at 4 years! I didn’t bother getting into the whole Europe vs Uk debate and I will not be getting the belt changed at 4 years.

Had mine serviced at main dealer last week and asked about the “new” guidance on cam belt replacement….. they confirmed the new mileage based change but said they still recommend a change at 4 years! The rationale (as I understood it) being that the actual belt make up/design has not changed, so it would still need changing at 4 years! I didn’t bother getting into the whole Europe vs Uk debate and I will not be getting the belt changed at 4 years.
My gut feeling is to align with the mainland Europe interval. It’s clearly tried and tested and now within VW UK tolerances so win-win

Of coarse they recommend to have it changed at 4 years. If they didn’t they would be losing one of the biggest money spinner’s they have ever had.
To be on the safe side why not have it done every 2 years.
Does anyone listen to VWUK advice any longer?

Just another bit of info, having heard 140,000 miles from dealer, I rang Audi, about my 2014 A3 Quattro. That used to be the same 4 years, but they said it too had changed to 140,000 miles and no time limit.
for what it’s worth, I’m changing my low milage cali at 10 years

Just another bit of info, having heard 140,000 miles from dealer, I rang Audi, about my 2014 A3 Quattro. That used to be the same 4 years, but they said it too had changed to 140,000 miles and no time limit.
for what it’s worth, I’m changing my low milage cali at 10 years
Based on experience with an Audi B7 A4 I will be doing a cambelt change well before 140k miles, probably around 100k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.

Based on experience with an Audi B7 A4 I will be doing a cambelt change well before 140k miles, probably around 100k miles or 10 years, whichever comes first.
Well I can tell you I ignored the VW four year advice on my old Touran 2L diesel. After having the first 4 year change at 22K miles, which seemed ridiculous to me, the next one was done 10 years later at about 77K.

Confirmed by my Dealership today - No Time Limit / Milage Limit 140,000 miles.

Possibly the same van centre as mine. :) Anyway nice to hear others getting the same advice.
I had the same advice from the van centre at Leeds on my 2019 Beach (new electronic water pump), I just had the cam belt replaced.

My dealer sent me an email saying "Let's change your cam belt" but I've not been told it's required on the service plan so I haven't done it yet (late 2018 Beach).

I asked VW customer service about my one 2014 California SE, they said 140000 miles when I checked with them about a time limit they replied

"Thank you for your response.

The Cambelt change interval is no longer measure in time, rather in mileage.

I hope this information proves useful and should you require any further assistance, please contact me on the details below.

Thank you for contacting Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.

Kind regards"

But this was after I rang around and was quoted a time limit of 5 years at VW Ashford and 8 years at VW Canterbury.

I think the original 4 years seemed very short, but on a low mileage van 140000 seems very long !

Back