Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change??

I’ve got an extended warranty so under warranty for 5 years.
Next January it’s 4 years but there is no way I’m getting the cam belt done.
My mileage is very low as circumstances have clipped our wings for the last 2 years.
I’ll tell them mine had a special German cam belt

Mike
Warranty will be subject to ALL servicing being carried out to UK standard.

I wouldn't expect much financial help from VW if the belt failed 4 years and 10 months from new if the recommended 4 year replacement hadn't been carried out. You would have declined the replacement which will be on record.

Yep, mine was on record as the dealer (SMG) who carried it out didn't add it to the service records? So my local dealer contacted me in regards to having the work carried out.

I wouldn't expect much financial help from VW if the belt failed 4 years and 10 months from new if the recommended 4 year replacement hadn't been carried out. You would have declined the replacement which will be on record.
Where in the service schedule does it say 4 years?

SMG Cowfold informed me it was 4 years when it was serviced earlier this year.
Yes I realise dealers say this but not according to the official service schedule (Attached)
They also say you need 2 yearly brake fluid change and also want to replace your aircon gas.

All of these are upselling and not necessarily as per the manufacturer's guidelines.

Remember that VWUK nor the dealers are the manufacturers they are just selling organisations trying to make money.

Attachments

• service_intervals.pdf
    173.6 KB · Views: 67
  • Service_scedule_additional.pdf
    132.9 KB · Views: 55
Agree with you Loz.

We only changed it as our van is 2012 and still had the original one on (had only covered 17.5K miles when we purchased June 2019 so had not had much use over the years - brake discs were rusty, flat battery on collection, previous owners had hardly slept in it etc ). For the sake of £500 didn't mind changing it for peace of mind bearing in mind that the van had not been used much - cars/vans love to be driven and hate being stood idle....but will ignore the 4 year 'rule' next time as will know exactly how often it has been driven.

Our last van was a 1996 T4 , which had its 1st cambelt change 5 years ago + 150K.

VW Commercial 'recommend' as below :

//
When should the cambelt be replaced on my Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle?
The recommended service intervals for your vehicle can be located inside your service schedule. Wear to cam belts will vary and are subject to driving style, types of use. Your Volkswagen Van Centre will advise when a replacement is required. Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles UK recommend that you have your cambelt replaced every four years irrespective of driven mileage. Should you have any queries, please contact your nearest Van Centre .
//

I had my cambelt , waterpump, rollers and ancillary belt. done at 4 years and 18000 miles. Local garage all warrantied approved parts £315..all in. I asked him to keep all the parts that were taken off. Everything was perfect...Its hardly rocket science but I just havent got the room or tools to do that particular job..

Neither would I. However when was the last time you heard of any cambelt failing within 6 years let alone 5 years and less than 60k miles.

Wow what a pool of information - thank you all so much. Nothing conclusive yet though but I’ll keep reading as they come in. Might not be worth taking the risk - am thinking if I leave it and the engine seizes I’m going to be a tad dischuffed to find I’m not covered and will have to fork out a small fortune and lose use of the camper for a considerable period
Will have to make a decision by 1st July so will consider all advice in the meantime

I won't even comment on this thread, as I have done in too many others.

over 10 years now, 145000 km, no change of cambelt yet. No damage yet.

It is perfectly reasonable to ask the dealer to inspect the timing belt and report on condition.

A visual check from underside with the covers off should provide a really good indication as to the degradation of lack of it on the belt.

I had a fuel pump etc replaced under warranty, when I queried if the dealer would replace the timing belt at the same time, I was told “we will inspect it and change it if it’s needed”. Surprisingly it didn’t need doing !
the point is if a dealer (the same dealer as the original poster) can inspect a belt under warranty condition, why can’t they do it under inspection conditions?

VW do not specify a time limit, they do specify mileage (see other threads)

this is a dealer “suggest” item, the suggestion is this is prudent (more for them than you) to replace it at 4 years.

agree with @Loz comments regarding up selling vs manufacturers guidelines.

if the dealer presses you, and implies your warranty will be void, ask for specific written notification that not changing at 32k (or whatever mileage applies) would void your remaining warranty. (ask for official notification from VW)
I bet my house that they will not put that in writing because they know its not a factory requirement

Similarly I would put it in writing to the dealer that VW apply a mileage interval, not time, to replacement of timing belt, therefore, under VW guidance your vehicle does not require a new timing belt ?

Last edited:
Hi Loz, 4 year old cali, 32k miles. VW want to change cambelt. I am assuming from this that I should hold fire?
Not much point if you intend on keeping the van. Personally would change cambelt at 60k miles (as per my Dads advice!).

When you come to sell, it’s likely to be the one of the questions the buyer will ask & so may ask for price to be reduced accordingly, if you haven’t carried out the work in line with the service intervals.

If you keep your van for twenty years you will only have one more change by going with 4 years as opposed to 5. if you keep it for 7 years it will make no difference except that workshop costs in year 5 are likely to be higher than they would have been in year 4

Hi Loz, 4 year old cali, 32k miles. VW want to change cambelt. I am assuming from this that I should hold fire?

My Cali cambelt is up for replacement (just over 4 years / 30k miles). I was going to delay until nearer 5 years but chickened out. What I can't decide is where to get it done. The van is still under warranty (extended to 5 years) so is there any benefit in going to a VW dealer?

SMG Tonbridge quoted £655 but I can get it done for less. Lookers are quoting £360+VAT on their website but the Guildford branch doesn't exactly have glowing feedback and Guildford is about 90mins away. There's an independent in Tunbridge Wells that quoted me £544. The price differences are hard to ignore. Thoughts anybody?

My Cali cambelt is up for replacement (just over 4 years / 30k miles). I was going to delay until nearer 5 years but chickened out. What I can't decide is where to get it done. The van is still under warranty (extended to 5 years) so is there any benefit in going to a VW dealer?

SMG Tonbridge quoted £655 but I can get it done for less. Lookers are quoting £360+VAT on their website but the Guildford branch doesn't exactly have glowing feedback and Guildford is about 90mins away. There's an independent in Tunbridge Wells that quoted me £544. The price differences are hard to ignore. Thoughts anybody?
I was in the same position. 4 years into 5 year warranty. Went with VW Leeds at about the same price as SMG. Better to avoid any arguments in the event of a warranty claim.

I would query the SMG price, as i paid around £550 18 months ago + SMG Cowfold who are price matching at the moment; Below rec’d today - see bottom line:

C19E3292-7329-4D35-A51B-D0C4661AA8DA.png

Am having mine done, along with the water pump for £502 inclusive. Next week at VW Hereford.

Actually, checking back, the £660 I paid to VW Leeds included a service and an mot. Cam belt was £350.01 plus vat

Am having mine done, along with the water pump for £502 inclusive. Next week at VW Hereford.
Paid virtually the same in 2018. :thumb

Ask Jay at SMG Tonbridge to price-match. I reckon he’ll at least come down a bit for you.

He advised a cambelt change for both my vehicles (Beach & Golf hybrid) but didn’t labour the point (they’ve only done ~40,000 miles each). He did say to come back to him, to talk price, when I’m ready for the work.

Back