Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change??

gt_63

gt_63

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Wonder if anyone can help me on this? Im not a tech bod but I do understand the implications of a cambelt failure - thankfully NOT from experience!
My Cali Ocean T6 was registered in Dec 2015 has a good service history and has done only 27,000 miles. According to the service records and recommendations the engine is due a major service (£354 from my local CityGate Commercial dealer). With the hopeful lifting of lockdown we are keen to make the most of the camper van before it gets cold again and anticipate some serious travelling
On booking, the receptionist said I am also due a cam belt replacement (£426 and whilst they are there to change the water pump to save time and cost at a further £144)
On asking I was told the cam belt is due to be changed on 140,000 miles or 4 years - which ever comes sooner.
Clearly I am way short on the mileage marker but just gone over the 4 year timeline and consequently am in a quandary and would like to 'ask the audience' for some sound advice
I look forward to hearing from some members
Thanks in advance
GT

VW only specify a mileage but most dealers like to suggest 4 years as well.
If you have your call serviced annually, you can ask them to just inspect the belt at each service and advise accordingly.

However, if you are having the belt changed, I would also change the water pump and other tensioners and rollers whilst they are there as the labour is the biggest part of the job..

Last edited:
See if they will match.

I did search for a similar thread but obviously didn’t search properly! Thanks - will try that one if I need to - a saving to be made.
thanks for your thoughts Loz - definitely worth trying that first. They do a standard inspection charge of £60 but again worth checking first

Wonder if anyone can help me on this? Im not a tech bod but I do understand the implications of a cambelt failure - thankfully NOT from experience!
My Cali Ocean T6 was registered in Dec 2015 has a good service history and has done only 27,000 miles. According to the service records and recommendations the engine is due a major service (£354 from my local CityGate Commercial dealer). With the hopeful lifting of lockdown we are keen to make the most of the camper van before it gets cold again and anticipate some serious travelling
On booking, the receptionist said I am also due a cam belt replacement (£426 and whilst they are there to change the water pump to save time and cost at a further £144)
On asking I was told the cam belt is due to be changed on 140,000 miles or 4 years - which ever comes sooner.
Clearly I am way short on the mileage marker but just gone over the 4 year timeline and consequently am in a quandary and would like to 'ask the audience' for some sound advice
I look forward to hearing from some members
Thanks in advance
GT
Remember, some vehicles do a lot of miles/year hence the milage requirement, but time is also an important element as these rubber/fibre compound belts etc can deteriorate over time.
On my T5.1 I was advised 80,000 miles or 4 years and that’s what I did. Fortunately for me I had done 80,000 miles in 4 yrs.

I've been reading up on Caliboard.de and TX-board.de. In Germany it's 210,000 km, period. Users say 6 years is early and 10 years is late. In German forums, T5 is T5.1 and our T5.1 is their T5.2.

In Spain it's 220,000 km or 10 years.

I've been reading up on Caliboard.de and TX-board.de. In Germany it's 210,000 km, period. Users say 6 years is early and 10 years is late. In German forums, T5 is T5.1 and our T5.1 is their T5.2.

In Spain it's 220,000 km or 10 years.
You can only do what VW in your own country advises. Why there is a difference I do not know. It could be environmental, average speeds, incidence of traffic jams. Who knows.

My guess is that to cover the extra year warranty that you get in the Uk
they are stiffing you with it.
Ah, but we have Europes largest traffic jam, the M25.

Ah, but we have Europes largest traffic jam, the M25.
Our postman drives a T6, stop start stop start stop start
stop start, as vans they are all over the place accumilating
many thousand kms in all situations.
It is very strange that they have a lower milage reccomendation
in the Uk.

Anyway, i would always change earlier than recommended to be on the
safe side.

@TripleBee has said it's 210,000km in Belgium. What's clear is that to keep your extended guarantee VWUK requires a frequency which is an outlier.

Last edited:
This was covered here extensively earlier this year.

I can't help noticing that UK dealers' recommendations are all over the place: @gt_63 was quoted 140,000 miles (!) or four years, @WelshGas was quoted 80,000 miles or four years, other members in UK have been quoted 120,000 miles or four years. It looks like either they are misinformed, or this is individual dealers setting their own spec for whatever reasons, not VWUK. It might be worth it to call around to other dealers in your area to see what they say. In any case, the four years seems to be a UK thing.

Last edited:
It is generally accepted this is a VAG UK cash cow. Excactly the same on Skoda etc. Your decision of course, at that miles I would change at 6 years unless it compromises an extended warranty. Yes I do practice what I preach. Current Yeti now at 50k miles 5.5 yrs old plus citigo at 45k miles 6yrs plus previously an Audi A4 run well beyond this on miles and time

I can't help noticing that UK dealers' recommendations are all over the place: @gt_63 was quoted 140,000 miles (!) or four years, @WelshGas was quoted 80,000 miles or four years, other members in UK have been quoted 120,000 miles or four years. It looks like either they are misinformed, or this is individual dealers setting their own spec for whatever reasons, not VWUK. It might be worth it to call around to other dealers in your area to see what they say. In any case, the four years seems to be a UK thing.
@gt_63 was for an early T6 mine is a T5.1, maybe a difference there. I have no idea.

Interesting the European workshop manual (assumed as its in KMs) for the T6 makes no either-or.

120km in "dusty" conditions or 200km.

Very naughty.

1590610673811.png

Capture_Dusty.JPG

I’ve got an extended warranty so under warranty for 5 years.
Next January it’s 4 years but there is no way I’m getting the cam belt done.
My mileage is very low as circumstances have clipped our wings for the last 2 years.
I’ll tell them mine had a special German cam belt

Mike

Auto Data quotes 140000 miles or 48 months

I’ve got an extended warranty so under warranty for 5 years.
Next January it’s 4 years but there is no way I’m getting the cam belt done.
My mileage is very low as circumstances have clipped our wings for the last 2 years.
I’ll tell them mine had a special German cam belt

Mike
Depends what VWUK say. Could invalidate part of the warranty for year 5.

Worth raising a group question with VW UK

Depends what VWUK say. Could invalidate part of the warranty for year 5.

It could. I’ll sound them out.
As I can’t see any reason for excluding anything other than a cam belt failure I would take the risk.

Mike

Back