Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt change??

I guess I can ask about a price match. I've tried before but getting a written quote from the lower price garage is painful (they probably knew why I was asking!)

I guess I can ask about a price match. I've tried before but getting a written quote from the lower price garage is painful (they probably knew why I was asking!)
Yes, I’d expect them to know that their price is not the most competitive, hence wouldn’t need something in writing to discount a little. If you wanted something in writing, perhaps just email a selection of other dealers or independents.

I was going to wait until 5yrs / 50,000 miles but my rear pads & discs only have 3,000 miles left, so I’ll shop around for both jobs together. It’ll be a good time to consider dealer/indie for post extended-warranty work.

Our camper is almost five years old and done 51,000 miles so in my opinion due for a cam belt change before any summer mileage (if we are lucky) is added.

I've just purchased the cam belt kit and water pump from VAG with a wee bit of discount it came to a just under £300 and my local independent workshop, who I've used for similar jobs before, quote a pound or two under £200 to replace both items and supply the coolant.

Our camper is almost five years old and done 51,000 miles so in my opinion due for a cam belt change before any summer mileage (if we are lucky) is added.

I've just purchased the cam belt kit and water pump from VAG with a wee bit of discount it came to a just under £300 and my local independent workshop, who I've used for similar jobs before, quote a pound or two under £200 to replace both items and supply the coolant.
So virtually the same that @BerndRos was quoted from VW Hereford.

So virtually the same that @BerndRos was quoted from VW Hereford.
Yes it looks very much like dealer price but my nearest van centre is 37 miles away plus from experience they haven't a good reputation. My local independent is only 5 miles away and always served me well.

Yes it looks very much like dealer price but my nearest van centre is 37 miles away plus from experience they haven't a good reputation. My local independent is only 5 miles away and always served me well.
But this is the point. Dealerships and I dependants get their genuine VW parts from the same suppliers and probably the same price. However, their labour charges will vary dependant on their business expenses, lease charges, business rates and facilities etc:.
Backstreet v High Street premesis, showroom or customer waiting area.
I have a good I dependant but I have to drop off and pick up as there is nowhere to wait. The Dealership I can sit and have a coffee while they do the oil change or Mot or I have a courtesy vehicle.
What is more important is finding a good company that you trust, I have, and am happy to pay for the extra convenience which the Independent does not offer. Personal choice.

But this is the point. Dealerships and I dependants get their genuine VW parts from the same suppliers and probably the same price. However, their labour charges will vary dependant on their business expenses, lease charges, business rates and facilities etc:.
Backstreet v High Street premesis, showroom or customer waiting area.
I have a good I dependant but I have to drop off and pick up as there is nowhere to wait. The Dealership I can sit and have a coffee while they do the oil change or Mot or I have a courtesy vehicle.
What is more important is finding a good company that you trust, I have, and am happy to pay for the extra convenience which the Independent does not offer. Personal choice.
Very much a personal choice. We are consumers rather than philanthropists. If suppliers have similar prices, then go with your preference. If I have £2,000 of essential work coming up, I’ll shop around and perhaps bring my own chair and thermos! It might just save £500...

Backstreet v High Street premises, showroom or customer waiting area.
In many ways I agree with you @WelshGas however when you have your vehicle in a genuine VW Van Centre and ring up to know the progress on a warranty job to be told that they don't even have your vehicle on the premises.
Then when you eventually speak to the technician doing the job to be told that they don't even have the test gear to test the faulty item you learn to keep away! That was all about a faulty Eberspacher water heater on a T4 which initially they had to ask me if it was an original fitment because they had never seen one before!
As you say it's all about trust.

Very much a personal choice. We are consumers rather than philanthropists. If suppliers have similar prices, then go with your preference. If I have £2,000 of essential work coming up, I’ll shop around and perhaps bring my own chair and thermos! It might just save £500...
Speak for yourself, me, I am a philatelist.

I’m sure SMG Tonbridge have made a mistake and mispriced, would just give them a call.

Speak for yourself, me, I am a philatelist.
Is that stamps, DofE (blessed be the...), or the resignation that VW will always disappoint you in the end?

I’m sure SMG Tonbridge have made a mistake and mispriced, would just give them a call.
Nope. my quote is a touch higher for same work.

Nope. my quote is a touch higher for same work.
...unless you mean it is generally a mistake for suppliers to price themselves out of the market?

Is that stamps, DofE (blessed be the...), or the resignation that VW will always disappoint you in the end?
That’s the difference between a stamp collector and a fatalist

I just love green shield stamps!

I've read my way through this thread and am none the wiser! My service book gives mileages for cambelt replacement for various different engines but doesn't mention the 2.5!

I've had my 2005 2.5l for five years and have lots of service history but no mention of cambelt replacement. I've had it serviced by the same workshop used by the Motorhomes dealer I bought it from, they appear to know their stuff and have sensible labour charges, but they're about 15 miles away and the other side of a town, and my husband doesn't really do that sort of driving any more, and I can only drive automatic so their courtesy car is no use to me. For those reasons I intend to use a local reliable workshop that I always used before I had the van - they do commercial as well as cars and know their stuff.

So I think I'll book it in for a service which the van has been reminding me about and ask them to check the cambelt condition as the mileage is now 84445. (The last service was Nov 2018 but only done 5000m since then as the need for new hips and then a pandemic mean I've mostly only used it locally for a couple of years). As I used to drive old cheap cars I feel I ought to specify that on this vehicle I want the proper VW long life oil used but I'm a little uncomfortable about it - does it sound reasonable or is it teaching grandmother to suck eggs?

Sorry for the long post which I feel might be better in a different section but can't find one more appropriate.

I've read my way through this thread and am none the wiser! My service book gives mileages for cambelt replacement for various different engines but doesn't mention the 2.5!

I've had my 2005 2.5l for five years and have lots of service history but no mention of cambelt replacement. I've had it serviced by the same workshop used by the Motorhomes dealer I bought it from, they appear to know their stuff and have sensible labour charges, but they're about 15 miles away and the other side of a town, and my husband doesn't really do that sort of driving any more, and I can only drive automatic so their courtesy car is no use to me. For those reasons I intend to use a local reliable workshop that I always used before I had the van - they do commercial as well as cars and know their stuff.

So I think I'll book it in for a service which the van has been reminding me about and ask them to check the cambelt condition as the mileage is now 84445. (The last service was Nov 2018 but only done 5000m since then as the need for new hips and then a pandemic mean I've mostly only used it locally for a couple of years). As I used to drive old cheap cars I feel I ought to specify that on this vehicle I want the proper VW long life oil used but I'm a little uncomfortable about it - does it sound reasonable or is it teaching grandmother to suck eggs?

Sorry for the long post which I feel might be better in a different section but can't find one more appropriate.
The 2.5 doesn't have a cam belt or chain, its camshaft is gear run.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 2.25.57 PM.png

Last edited:

If you do book it in - Hopefully they'll take you aside and tell you that your engine doesn't have a replaceable cambelt and in fact doesn't have one at all.
If they say nothing then time to look for a new garage .;)

SMG Tonbridge confirmed the price they originally quoted but they price matched SMG Cowfold who quoted about £55 less. You'd think dealers from the same group would quite identical prices!

SMG Tonbridge confirmed the price they originally quoted but they price matched SMG Cowfold who quoted about £55 less. You'd think dealers from the same group would quite identical prices!
SMG Cowfold (as of 1.5yrs ago on my last service ), no longer honoured the 10pct forum discount....I came to the conclusion that they offered competitive prices from the initial quote, in case you went elsewhere (- paid £475 + vat for cambelt / wpump.)

SMG Cowfold (as of 1.5yrs ago on my last service ), no longer honoured the 10pct forum discount....I came to the conclusion that they offered competitive prices from the initial quote, in case you went elsewhere (- paid £475 + vat for cambelt / wpump.)
It's now £500 + Vat

It was done yesterday...

VW parts - £294.26 inc VAT
Change belt & tensioner plus supply coolant - £188.18 inc VAT
Total £482.44
Time booked to the job was 1.9 manhours.

As far as I can see all is good from this local independent https://www.priorsleemotorservices.co.uk/

They do my MOTs and have done for years although I wouldn't let them near our 1946 Beetle!

The 2.5 doesn't have a cam belt or chain, its camshaft is gear run.

View attachment 77041
Many thanks! That explains a lot and saves me from making a fool of myself!
If you do book it in - Hopefully they'll take you aside and tell you that your engine doesn't have a replaceable cambelt and in fact doesn't have one at all.
If they say nothing then time to look for a new garage .;)
I can assure you that Chris, who I've known since he was a little lad, would tell me that without any need to take me aside. There's no embarrassment in not knowing everything there is to know about your vehicle, specially when you know where to find out!

Back