Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cambelt replacement quandry

Were those with DSG also advised it needed a DSG oil change too at 4 yrs?

Add engine oil, pollen filter theres not goingto be much change from a grand!

But at 4 years you do not have to pay Dealership prices. A GOOD Independant can do as good if not better job than a Main Dealer.
Eg: on my Land Rover the main dealer quoted £ 450 for front and rear brake pads + 4 hrs main dealer labour rates + VAT. my Independent did the job , using OEM parts for £195. Mind you the vehicle wasn't washed with high pressure paint stripper, I had to make my own coffee and I didn't get a courtesy car, but then it took less than 2 hours.

sidepod said:
gatvol said:
500 sounds a lot for this :shocked

Excuse my ignorance, but besides the inconvenience, does it actually matter if a cam belt snaps in a diesel car ? What do the pistons hit ?

That's brilliant. I love that. I shouldn't take the Micky but, I'm going to because that's priceless. Sorry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Diesel engine is essentially the same principle as petrol in terms of valves/cams etc. The main difference is, instead of a spark plug to produce the bang it's the heat generated from compression that ignites the fuel. Snap a belt and it gets just as expensive.

S.

Maybe Gavtol was thinking of a two-stroke - they both burn oil ;)

Andy

Main dealer prices not bad for genuine parts with a warranty. As for DSG this is covered in the service book ad needs changing for good reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had mine done this week. VW Kettering £350inc

sebking said:
Main dealer prices not bad for genuine parts with a warranty. As for DSG this is covered in the service book ad needs changing for good reason.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree the fixed priced servicing is pretty good. What sucks IMO is booking your van in over the phone to be told it's due engine oil & pollen filter. Drive 100 miles for your service only to be informed that now the system mysteriously shows it also needs a DSG oil change, and they would also recommend cambelt and water pump...but they don't have time to do any of this. What a waste of time :headbang

Cambelt and water pump aren't listed as 4 year items in my service book, and weren't items on the VW dealers electronic service schedule. Does anyone know for certain whether it's 4 or 5 years?

It is defiantly 4 years for the cambelt I rang vwcs and got them to check :thumb

Cheers Kev. I'll get mine booked back in shortly.
Did you get cambelt and water pump for 350+VAT at VW Kettering?

No just cambelt the water pump didn't need replacing :thumb

I have read all sorts of different stories about cambelt change intervals (time & milage) & was very surprised that there was no information at all in the (French) handbooks with my new 2013 Cali.

So eventually I asked my dealer & was told immediately "Change every 210,000km without time limit, but we check it visually at every service (2yrs/40,000km or whenever)".

That answer suited me fine, but I wanted something in writing (in case of disaster before 210,000km!).

So the dealer searched his computer & found & printed the schedules for all items for post-2010 Cali's.

Answer for diesels: Change Cambelt & tension wheel at 210,000km in normal conditions (120,000km in very dusty conditions).
Check every 40,000km.
See below (OK it's in French - try Google translate or ask me if in doubt).
entretien1-001_zps0c554c10.jpg
entretien2-001_zpsd86aa911.jpg
entretien3-001_zps5cb9586d.jpg

Cheers 2CV, unfortunately I think this is an omission in the service schedule data. My service book is the same, maybe you can demand it for free when the time comes :thumb

Are there any other big time dependant items due post 4 years that aren't detailed in the service schedule people are aware of? Obviously Year 8 will be cambelt again...
Photos are slightly burred
20140704_130842.jpg
20140704_130858.jpg

Calikev said:
No just cambelt the water pump didn't need replacing :thumb
Did they advise you to change it? I'm being spun the line that whilst everything is stripped down might as well replace the water pump as if that goes could cost you £10k for a new engine...
I do wonder whether this is just sales $$$ speak or whether you should genuinely replace the water pump....I get this pitch with my other motors too...

No the didn't advise it.The recommend
Time is 120,000 miles
Or 4 years I expect if the water pump should last that milage mine at 28,000 was ok to leave

Mine's also pretty low mileage, 25k...seems a somewhat unnecessary extra £110ish

Back