Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cambelt Change - Replace at 4 Years

Re: Cambelt Change

My dealer told me that there was no time limit, just mileage at 120k

deedee said:
My dealer told me that there was no time limit, just mileage at 120k

Wow that's good I do about 6000 per year that means I can change mine in 20 years :thumb

Dee dee.
Your dealer was very economical with the facts. Yes, there is a milage limit of 140,000 miles, BUT there is also a time limit of 4/5 years. Whichever limit comes first.
Ca belt and water pump about £500, Blown ca belt and water pump at least £6000

Your choice! :bananadance

As with a lot of things with VW this is utter and total confusion :censor and with disastrous consequences and of course no come back on VW :censor

Had mine done last week on 4 years, I am now £520 worse off :headbang

My dealer contacted me at 4 years (180DSG) this September. Having given me a ‘special offer’ of around £300 including free (!) MOT, when I got there to book in the service man reckoned it would be foolish not to go with water pump and other gubbins as well for £500+. Strangely, the free MOT was no longer included (well, it was eventually).

It felt like a classic case of ‘bait and switch’ (get the customer hooked on one thing, then slip in something more profitable). So before you go in, decide exactly what you’re going to go for.

I checked with VWCS who said, based on my vehicle chassis no., that 4 years is correct for the cam belt.

I think the precise timings are anyone’s guess - there may be an engineer in Germary somewhere who has an idea, but for the rest it looks like conjecture.

Still, I personally know of two cases of failed cam belts - the petrol engine just rolled to a halt, but the diesel ate itself as the pistons hit the valves.

So don’t sweat it too much, you need that cambelt.

Of course, you all know that T5's don't have a cambelt, I assume

Ours is November 2009 and we had the Cambelt replaced last october along with waterpump, it was an eye watering £525 inc VAT

I have 2008 model 2.5 ltr 5 cylinder. Van was in at Halfords for MOT. On collection of the vehicle, I enquired about cam belt change out price, after consulting his online drawing of the engine he informed me that this engine didn't have a cambelt it was all cog driven, I had a butchers hook at the drawing and sure as eggs are eggs, COG DRIVEN, yippee, no more worries on that score.

That is correct:

Pre facelift to late 2009: Does not have a cambelt so you are not affected

Facelift Late 2009 to current DOES have a cambelt so needs replacing at 4 years

Unless you've got a euro spec pre 2009 in which case you might have a 1.9 which does have a cambelt!

Hi, slightly confused having read through the posts. I have a 08 2.5 174 Cali, does it have a belt cam that needs changing and/or water pump? 28k on the clock. Thanks Ross

No yours is gear driven like mine so no belt change.
Although I'm unsure about the water pump, as this is usually done at the same time as the cambelt change. I asked Carrs about when it was in for a service a couple of months ago and they said it didn't need doing.

Back