Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cambelt replacement quandry

cozmo1589

cozmo1589

VIP Member
so today ive discovered after talking to local vw garage that my California requires a cambelt change at 80k miles or at 4 years. Shes exactly 4 years old with just 18,000 miles on the clock. Do i spend £500.00 now after just blooming buying it or shall i give it another year? Apparently the same engine now in vw cars has had the cambelt replacement extended to 5 years so im considering putting maybe 5 - 6k on her in the next 12 months and get it done this time next year. Any / all feedback greatly appreciated.

For peace of mind I have always replaced by the book, I think it is the age more than the miles !
Ron.

Retiredron said:
For peace of mind I have always replaced by the book, I think it is the age more than the miles !
Ron.

Cheers Ron :thumb

I replaced the belt on mine soon after I bought it. It hadn't been changed for 6 years and 50k miles. I asked to see the old belt, and there was no sign of perishing (which is I believe why VW introduced a time limit as well as the mileage).

But, ask me am I going to wait 6 years next time, probably not.

Prior to that I briefly owned a 10 year old T4, which had done just 10.5k miles! It was therefore overdue its second cambelt!

T4WFA said:
I replaced the belt on mine soon after I bought it. It hadn't been changed for 6 years and 50k miles. I asked to see the old belt, and there was no sign of perishing (which is I believe why VW introduced a time limit as well as the mileage).

Prior to that I briefly owned a 10 year old T4, which had done just 10.5k miles! It was therefore overdue its second cambelt!

Thanks mate for that.
This Cali I've got is like so new looking, the engine bays glistens being now just 4 yrs old and only having averaged 4.5k miles a year since new it's hard to come to terms with that this bloomin cambelt should need replacing already oh and I didn't mention yet that vw say its best to have the water pump done at the same time - on an engine that new! Cambelt technology can't have changed much in the last couple of years and so I'm considering another year ( so changing at 5 in line with their new cars) and by then it may have done 25k miles tops :-/

but then again......…

cozmo1589 said:
T4WFA said:

Thanks mate for that.
This Cali I've got is like so new looking, the engine bays glistens being now just 4 yrs old and only having averaged 4.5k miles a year since new it's hard to come to terms with that this bloomin cambelt should need replacing already oh and I didn't mention yet that vw say its best to have the water pump done at the same time - on an engine that new! Cambelt technology can't have changed much in the last couple of years and so I'm considering another year ( so changing at 5 in line with their new cars) and by then it may have done 25k miles tops :-/

but then again......…
Check this out http://www.motoringassist.com/motoring- ... placement/
Ron.

My 2010 at 48000 miles.....recently serviced.....and advised water pump was weeping water into the oil.....so had both it and the cam belt changed.

I also rang my local dealer to book mine in to be told VW have changed the time to 5 years
For vehicles built after 2009 inline with their cars

My service schedule / booklet only gives the mileage limit, but later models have the time specified as well (4 years I think..... Then 5 on newer models). I think it was an oversight that the time wasn't specified initially, but my gut tells me it's an over cautious time limit.
However, the consequences of a failure are very bad for our type of engine.
The other components (water pump, idlers etc) should be changed at the same time, for if they start to fail later, a £30 water pump becomes a £500 job because all the labour has to be done again.

I think I'll go for 5 years, so the £500 job costs me £100 / year. VW were almost as cheap as independent garages, so it's nice for the service book to have such a serious job done there.

Retiredron said:
cozmo1589 said:
T4WFA said:

Thanks mate for that.

but then again......…
Check this out http://www.motoringassist.com/motoring- ... placement/
Ron.

Hi Ron. Appreciate your contribution but I can't get that link to work mate (using my smart phone) I'll try again later with laptop ;-)

BerndRos said:
My 2010 at 48000 miles.....recently serviced.....and advised water pump was weeping water into the oil.....so had both it and the cam belt changed.

Oh ok cheers mate, food for thought :)

T4WFA said:
My service schedule / booklet only gives the mileage limit, but later models have the time specified as well (4 years I think..... Then 5 on newer models). I think it was an oversight that the time wasn't specified initially, but my gut tells me it's an over cautious time limit.
However, the consequences of a failure are very bad for our type of engine.
The other components (water pump, idlers etc) should be changed at the same time, for if they start to fail later, a £30 water pump becomes a £500 job because all the labour has to be done again.

I think I'll go for 5 years, so the £500 job costs me £100 / year. VW were almost as cheap as independent garages, so it's nice for the service book to have such a serious job done there.

Agree with all you say, I think im going to do the same, thanks a lot :)

For the sake of £500(even though we charge nearer £400 for this job with genuine parts) I would get it done now. It will always be at the back of your mind, and if it does go you'll be looking at a £2k plus, bill.

Mine is the older 2.5litre, 2009 engine, I believe there is no cam belt on these engines to change. Thought I'd post this not to sound smug but to double check I have this right?

Cheers Barry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Barryjm said:
Mine is the older 2.5litre, 2009 engine, I believe there is no cam belt on these engines to change. Thought I'd post this not to sound smug but to double check I have this right?

Cheers Barry

Hi Barry, I'm no expert but I am fairly confident in that your engine is chain driven. Following posts from fellow members will confirm this ;-)

Yes I agree - 2.5 has no belt. I think it may have some sort of gear driven system.

That confirms what I thought, better to be safe than sorry, thanks [SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yes i have the chain driven 2.5 five pot engine, but you do need the gears called gate couplings replaced. I think at 90,000 miles. had mine done at 95,000. :cool

John

500 sounds a lot for this :shocked

Excuse my ignorance, but besides the inconvenience, does it actually matter if a cam belt snaps in a diesel car ? What do the pistons hit ?

gatvol said:

Excuse my ignorance, but besides the inconvenience, does it actually matter if a cam belt snaps in a diesel car ? What do the pistons hit ?

Same as a petrol engine .... the valves. Broken cam belt can result in a huge bill of £2K upwards !!!

Not much upside in valves striking pistons.

I had a mk 1 golf many moons ago that used 2 star so must have been low compression. The cam belt snapped on the motorway. As an 18 year old I got recovered and fitted a new one myself outside a spares shop. Those were the days.

I am new to this diesel thing

Fixed price from any VW Van Centre of £335 + VAT for cambelt and £425 + VAT for cambelt and water pump

cheers

Had water pump bearings collapse on my 1996 2.4 five pot engined camper, which in turn caused cam belt failure and a £1500 bill for new cyc. head in 2001. :headbang
john

gatvol said:

That's brilliant. I love that. I shouldn't take the Micky but, I'm going to because that's priceless. Sorry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

A Diesel engine is essentially the same principle as petrol in terms of valves/cams etc. The main difference is, instead of a spark plug to produce the bang it's the heat generated from compression that ignites the fuel. Snap a belt and it gets just as expensive.

S.

Back