Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Camping in London

C

Chrisp

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We're planning a trip to central London in mid September for a weekend of orienteering. I would be grateful for any suggestions for where we can park overnight, ideally north of London, outside the congestion charge zone, and close to a tube line. We would consider a proper campsite, wild camping locations, or driveway-type parking spot. I'm guessing all of these options are in short supply in London. Ideas please?

I’ve heard that the C&CC club site at Chertsey is good if that isn’t too far out of London for you? There’s also a good one at Crystal Palace I believe (poss caravan club site?)

I’ve heard that the C&CC club site at Chertsey is good if that isn’t too far out of London for you? There’s also a good one at Crystal Palace I believe (poss caravan club site?)
Unfortunately Crystal Palace site is closing this year. Not sure when .

Lee Valley Campsite.

You will probably want bikes to get to Brimsdown Station (Zone 5). From there it is just 20 minutes to Liverpool Street Railway Station.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
And a taxi back as chances are your bikes will have been knicked.

I would have gone for somewhere a bit further out - The caravan Club site at commons wood is about a 20min walk to Welwyn Garden City Station - fast trains from there are about 1/2 hour to central london.

If you dare you can get away with sleeping in the NCP under Hyde park. Won't be able to put the roof up, but you won't get much more central.

And a taxi back as chances are your bikes will have been knicked.

I would have gone for somewhere a bit further out - The caravan Club site at commons wood is about a 20min walk to Welwyn Garden City Station - fast trains from there are about 1/2 hour to central london.

If you dare you can get away with sleeping in the NCP under Hyde park. Won't be able to put the roof up, but you won't get much more central.
Two good locks, and any thief will move onto an easier target.

Loads of driveway parking at justpark.com and parkonmydrive.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can recommend the CCC site at Chertsey but it is South not North and getting a train in to London is a struggle. Chertsey station is 20 minutes walk and requires a link to Weybridge, Weybridge is about £6 taxi away and the railway car park gets very full Monday to Friday.

Worplesdon, again South not North, but next to a rail station 40 minutes from Waterloo.

CAMC at Denham is handy, but fiddly, faff and long walk to the Station.

In reality, no easy answer and if there was one then the queue to get in would extend half way up the Mi.

Andy has the best answer, or just drive in to London, get into the suburbs, find a quiet street and park up wild.

Thanks for all the ideas. So far, all we have done is wild camping and it usually serves very well; often with better views and more peaceful than any campsite would be. London is more restrictive it seems, but this place seems quite nice? https://www.google.com/maps/@51.461...4!1sYtU83TrID2p31UyL3G76Jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As for justpark.com and parkonmydrive.com; I've never used these; would be quite normal to use these for overnight parking/camping, or do I need to ask the question of each one that looks good?

Thanks for all the ideas. So far, all we have done is wild camping and it usually serves very well; often with better views and more peaceful than any campsite would be. London is more restrictive it seems, but this place seems quite nice? https://www.google.com/maps/@51.461...4!1sYtU83TrID2p31UyL3G76Jw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

As for justpark.com and parkonmydrive.com; I've never used these; would be quite normal to use these for overnight parking/camping, or do I need to ask the question of each one that looks good?

It makes sense to ask them in advance. Few would complain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You’re welcome to use my drive is it a weekend ? And you can do hook up. I spent 11 days on my drive. 15 minute walk to tube or a bus to Clapham Junction

We're planning a trip to central London in mid September for a weekend of orienteering. I would be grateful for any suggestions for where we can park overnight, ideally north of London, outside the congestion charge zone, and close to a tube line. We would consider a proper campsite, wild camping locations, or driveway-type parking spot. I'm guessing all of these options are in short supply in London. Ideas please?
Caravan Club site at Abbey wood. Train or bus to London. also good for cycling by river.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-...-england/london/abbey-wood-caravan-club-site/

You’re welcome to use my drive is it a weekend ? And you can do hook up. I spent 11 days on my drive. 15 minute walk to tube or a bus to Clapham Junction
That's very generous, thank you. And we wouldn't need hook up. It's 14-16 Sept (Fri to Sun). How can I contact you?

I am back in the UK but not yet back home. Are you a VIP member? If so you can private message me

When I had a T5 Kombi, parkonmystreet wouldn’t accept it as a van from the reg. Westfield shopping centre in Shepherds Bush has a fab massive car park with a height restriction of 2.1m. It’s only £8 for 24hrs (max 72hrs) and cheaper if you sign up for smart parking. Right on the central line too and outside congestion charge zone. Just saying.......:bananadance2

Last edited:
An update on the closure of the Crystal Palace C and M site. The closure has been postponed until December 2019 which is good news. It was due to close in December this year. We find it a great site for visiting London. The No 3 bus leaves from outside the site and finishes up in Trafalgar Square and costs £1.50 or for a quicker journey pick up the tube in Brixton.

An update on the closure of the Crystal Palace C and M site. The closure has been postponed until December 2019 which is good news. It was due to close in December this year. We find it a great site for visiting London. The No 3 bus leaves from outside the site and finishes up in Trafalgar Square and costs £1.50 or for a quicker journey pick up the tube in Brixton.
Great news. Thank you.:thumb

Back