soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
I’m sure this has been done before.
However, recommendations to rough it around Eurotunnel.
Don’t need a campsite as getting there late, 10pmish and leaving early.

What (wild spots) do you recommend...???

Love it Tom: imagine ; Hey boy your looking mighty cute in them jeans English !

There is a specific motorhome car park in Cite De Europe just opposite Carrefour. It's less than 10 mins drive to the Eurotunnel. We have overnighted there many times before without issue. You are unlikely to be alone - there are usually several other motorhomes / campers doing the same thing. No facilities although there are toilets in Cite De Europe (2 mins walk) which you can use when it's open as well as restaurants and shops of course.

Actually peeps.
I was after spots this side of the water. I usually drive down on the day, it’s only a couple of hours away.
However with a toddler want to split the drive. So driving down tomorrow night and cross early Thursday...?

Actually peeps.
I was after spots this side of the water. I usually drive down on the day, it’s only a couple of hours away.
However with a toddler want to split the drive. So driving down tomorrow night and cross early Thursday...?
If you get to the Eurotunnel (UK side) 'early' no reason why you can't park up and get some sleep in the car park there before your departure. Only problem is it will be quite noisy with vehicles constantly on the move.

How about the Wagon & Horses in Charing on the A20: about 30 mins away or there’s a CMC site in Bearstead.

Interested in this too for UK side..... My understanding is that Eurotunnel won't let you arrive / park more than 2hrs prior to your scheduled departure.

I've looked around the area - not much on offer on Searchforsites or park4night --

There's a pub with camping nearby The Drum Inn that looks nice (but often fully booked)

There is also Stop24 which is a motorway service area 12 mins from the tunnel but noisy

Last edited:
Interested in this too for UK side..... My understanding is that Eurotunnel won't let you arrive / park more than 2hrs prior to your scheduled departure.

I've looked around the area - not much on offer on Searchforsites or park4night --

There's a pub with camping nearby (The Drum Inn) but that seems to be fully booked and even if not seems to require 2 nights minimum

so we are planning to stay at Stop24 which is a motorway service area 12 mins from the tunnel.

Ideally would like something quieter...so any recommendations would be appreciated!
The Canterbury CCC site is about 30 mins from the terminal, whilst the gate is shut from 23.00 to 07.00 anyone needing to leave early can use the visitors car park. Decent facilities and quite last week, we paid as concession members £64.60 for three nights including awning, electricity and WiFi.

I've booked into Drum Inn -- friendly lady on phone - will post review
(sorry not 'wild' camping)

Hi @Loz - chose to stay on Uk side as then can take max advantage of the 5-day deal. Going night before means one less day in France esp as didn’t want to wait until midnight !

Gandspette good tip for future, longer trip though thanks

Hi @Loz - chose to stay on Uk side as then can take max advantage of the 5-day deal. Going night before means one less day in France esp as didn’t want to wait until midnight !
I know what you mean, but you also run the risk of issues or hold-ups eating into your time which can be annoying when it was great the evening before and you could have just gone over...

We stayed at the Drum Inn on our last trip to France. Facilities fairly basic but fine for what you need. Food OK and had decent Abbott Ale on. Very close to the Eurotunnel terminal. Make sure you don’t need to fill up at the Shell garage on the roundabout, daylight robbery.

Second the Drum. Stayed there a lot, price keeps going up but it's so handy, literally five minutes to the tunnel.

Think we have decided to pack van tonight.
Get up at 4am and shoot down

Drum was ok - hot water, level ground and quiet in terms of other people and a very nice ambience . Motorway noise but bearable

Friendly staff but arrived late and left early so was brief visit

Clearly much much better than stop24 for similar price

Would stay again

I’m sure this has been done before.
However, recommendations to rough it around Eurotunnel.
Don’t need a campsite as getting there late, 10pmish and leaving early.

What (wild spots) do you recommend...???
Just take to the country lanes and there are plenty of spots to stop for a few hours.

If you'd like to be really close then you could try Crete Road West. There's a spot right above the Eurotunnel site with spectacular views:

IMG_6629.PNGIMG_6627.PNGIMG_6626.PNGIMG_6625.PNG

Just take to the country lanes and there are plenty of spots to stop for a few hours.

If you'd like to be really close then you could try Crete Road West. There's a spot right above the Eurotunnel site with spectacular views:

View attachment 43670View attachment 43669View attachment 43668View attachment 43667

Borris.
That’s good to know for future trips.
We ended up going down on the morning and straight over. Early start, but wasn’t to bad.
2hrs 35min door to tunnel and got on the earlier train to. 07:20

There's a pub with camping nearby The Drum Inn that looks nice (but often fully booked)

There is also Stop24 which is a motorway service area 12 mins from the tunnel but noisy
We've stopped on the French side several times (10 hours before our crossing) with no problem.
I would recommend staying at the far end of the CAR PARK and not in the Truck/coach/caravan area as the trucks do come and go but also if they are camping over night they have the engines running (guessing for heating/AC).
The terminal is open 24 hrs so you can toilet/shower etc.

We stayed at the Valiant Sailor a couple of weeks ago - very friendly landlady and <10 mins to tunnel. As it’s slightly SE of the tunnel you enter through a sneaky back entrance which is cool!

We stayed at the Valiant Sailor a couple of weeks ago - very friendly landlady and <10 mins to tunnel. As it’s slightly SE of the tunnel you enter through a sneaky back entrance which is cool!
Did you stay in the pub or on the carpark and if on the carpark
was there a charge and was there a toilet.

Back