Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Campsite etiqutte - marking your territory

Rupes

Rupes

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
So I've been wondering whether anyone has any tricks for keeping their prime camping spot from one night to the next whilst away from the site for the day with the Cali?

This is for those campsites where you don't have an allocated pitch but just set up camp wherever you like.

I guess one obvious answer is to have a driveaway awning but are any other techniques that people use?

Maybe it's not good form to lay claim to a bit of campsite when you're not there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Getting back after a day out in Starlight to someone on our spot winds me up.
Partucularly if they are parked on top of our sign "motorhome using this pitch"
Don't know what the answer is but welcome any suggestions too...

I used to use the club's sign, but like above I found people parking on it.

I now use a far more colourful sign.

danger-minefield-metal-wall-sign-3-sizes-656-p.jpg

4 poles and a ball of fluorescent string + a sign.

IMG_3207.JPG

We put a giant ground sheet out next to our parking spot to stake our claim to a spot. Bought from Go Outdoors. Also stops the kids walking grass and mud into the van. Just peg it down. Funny stuff as it never seems to get damp even in the morning. Hope that helps.

Drive away awning, hammocks on trees, towels hanging everywhere, bikes chained up in a pile... you'd have to be mad to move in near us! :D

Recalled an empty camping in a Norway this year. We just parked on a green lawn, totally alone. There were also gravel spots for big whites nearby. You can't imagine my outrage when the big white comes and parks a f*#g 1 meter from our right side. So we won't even be able to unwind the awning.
These were the 1st "bad" dutch people we ever met. :)
Of course, I had to move the car. They didn't even understand what the problem was.
At 2 a.m. the girl was shouting loud on the phone outside for like and hour.

P.S. people use to leave the table or chairs just to mark the territory is occupied.

To be honest we never have left any campsite using the Cali and came back.
Or we stay just one night and head off the next day
Or we stay longer(max two nights) but then we use public transport or walk the area.
Thats the way we travel .

The one time we stayed longer than sevral days was our trip in Austria few years back , think we stayed 10 days on that campsite in the mountains . Cali did not moved ....we had everything needed and used public transport.....and went hiking.

Btw , since when is marking your territory a etiquette....though only animals did that:D

I have seen some signs that say "this pitch is reserved for BT17 CAL" which look a bit more like something a site might put up and thus might be less likely to be ignored by other campers. I have pondered getting one. I certainly dont want to leave my cali table and chairs out, too expensive to replace.

@MattBW in the 50 years of camping not had anything stolen, it is an unwritten code within the camping fraternity.
Sorry did have a bottle of whisky taken one night in Calais about 25 years ago

I was just reading another site about the same issue and a few posters were saying leaving stuff out in france will see it gone when you return. Is that true or just rumour mongering?

I was just reading another site about the same issue and a few posters were saying leaving stuff out in france will see it gone when you return. Is that true or just rumour mongering?

Do most of our camping in France, Spain and Portugal no problems in any of these countries

We started off locking everything up during our summer trip to France but it soon became apparent that no one else seemed to bother so we became more relaxed. We'd lock the vehicle but table, chairs cooking stove even bikes were regularly left unlocked/not stowed both during day and at night and we had nothing pinched. Maybe we were lucky.

We left our Cali chairs and table out in France this summer with no problems.

We left our Cali chairs and table out in France this summer with no problems.

We never even leave ours out over night let alone when we are away from a campsite, not many people realise these will cost around £500 to replace if stolen !!

We never even leave ours out over night let alone when we are away from a campsite, not many people realise these will cost around £500 to replace if stolen !!

Hopefully that's why it's ok to leave them out :) Most thieves will just assume they are worth about £20!

@MattBW in the 50 years of camping not had anything stolen, it is an unwritten code within the camping fraternity.

Try telling that to campers at Dinas Mawddwy. I returned from the pub after a day in the hills to discover my tent, thermorest and sleeping bag had all been stolen.

Back