Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 2 - Begins. Scandinavia 2017

Just as an aside, this is the 5 th campsite where I had to use my Euro plug connector. So make sure you have yours with you if you intend to use Mains Hookup.:thumb

Loved every moment - thanks WG.

Tried to send you a Private Message but your account won't accept them

Anyway, for you or anyone else that's interested.

Hi Tom,
Just a couple of pointers for your trip, you may have already thought of them.
1. Most campsites charge about 200NOK all in. Cheaper ones will charge for the pitch + adults and often you have coin operated showers on these sites. Just as good as the all inclusive, just a different approach. Save your 10 and 5 NOK coins. Coins seem to be in short supply.
2. Most fuel stations are Card only. Visa and MasterCard everywhere also Amex. From the middle upwards there can be some distance between fuel stops, especially on the non E routes. Don't leave it until the last minute to fill up. I almost got caught out when 1 station had run out, the next 60 miles on had a computer glitch and it was 70 miles to the next. I ended up putting 68L in my 80L tank. 2 Motorhomes wouldn't chance it so stayed on the station forecourt overnight.
3. Ferries can save a lot of miles. Costs vary from 90 to 170+ NOK. The short crossings, less than 20 mins you stay on the car deck. No facilities. Longer crossings there is a self service cafe.
4. Lastly, the insects will kamikazi on your windscreen and lights. Take something to clean them with because you will need them clear as some of the tunnels have very poor lighting, if any.
5. If you plan on using Mains Hookup then take the Euro Adapter the California came with. 5 sites only had that form of socket.
6. All the sites had good cooking facilities for campers, ovens,microwaves and electric hobs, free to use.

Paul.

Tried to send you a Private Message but your account won't accept them

Anyway, for you or anyone else that's interested.

Hi Tom,
Just a couple of pointers for your trip, you may have already thought of them.
1. Most campsites charge about 200NOK all in. Cheaper ones will charge for the pitch + adults and often you have coin operated showers on these sites. Just as good as the all inclusive, just a different approach. Save your 10 and 5 NOK coins. Coins seem to be in short supply.
2. Most fuel stations are Card only. Visa and MasterCard everywhere also Amex. From the middle upwards there can be some distance between fuel stops, especially on the non E routes. Don't leave it until the last minute to fill up. I almost got caught out when 1 station had run out, the next 60 miles on had a computer glitch and it was 70 miles to the next. I ended up putting 68L in my 80L tank. 2 Motorhomes wouldn't chance it so stayed on the station forecourt overnight.
3. Ferries can save a lot of miles. Costs vary from 90 to 170+ NOK. The short crossings, less than 20 mins you stay on the car deck. No facilities. Longer crossings there is a self service cafe.
4. Lastly, the insects will kamikazi on your windscreen and lights. Take something to clean them with because you will need them clear as some of the tunnels have very poor lighting, if any.
5. If you plan on using Mains Hookup then take the Euro Adapter the California came with. 5 sites only had that form of socket.
6. All the sites had good cooking facilities for campers, ovens,microwaves and electric hobs, free to use.

Paul.

I know that jerry cans, is considered as dangerous in some countries. But they are useful in the north part of the Scandinavian Peninsula. I would bring a 10 liter jerry can. If you have one with you, it will not be needed :)

I know that jerry cans, is considered as dangerous in some countries. But they are useful in the north part of the Scandinavian Peninsula. I would bring a 10 liter jerry can. If you have one with you, it will not be needed :)
Not really needed. I normally filled up when the gauge dropped to half that gave me a solid 200 + range and the SatNav showed me where the fuel stops were and that 1 occasion was sorted in the end without any great drama. On my previous trip to Nordkapp I had absolutely no problems.