Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Countdown 2 - Begins. Scandinavia 2017

Did you come back on the Lødingen ferry? You get a good view of "Norways national mountain" called Stetind. It's a massive flat top peak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
No I drove both ways. Traffic was very light because of National Day going down and coming back to Narvik the next day all the traffic was the other way, very quiet.

A has a massive car park with 30 coach slots, so an indication of how big a tourist draw in season. This campsite I'm in, near Bodo, already has most of the touring pitches full and the season hasn't started officially so don't leave it too late in the day to get to a site unless you intend to wildcamp.
We are taking the trip s l o w l y, on driving days we aim to strike camp at about 11am and pitch at about 2pm, with a stop for lunch and to exercise the dogs. I'm looking at the ferry departing Bodo at 11am on Wednesday 12 July and arriving in A at 2:15pm. I would want to leave two days for the drive Bodo to Narvik, giving us four days to explore Lofoten both ways; taking the ferry means six days to explore Lofoten one way, but it also means missing the Bodo to Narvik scenery.

Was the drive from Narvik to Bodo of particular interest?

We are planning to take the ferry from Bodo to A, so would miss this particular section of the E6, would we be missing anything special that we will not encounter elsewhere in our 33 day south to north journey in Norway?

I've rode both ways, on motorcycle back in 2012. From memory, nothing you won't see elsewhere on this missed section of E6. I did come across some wildlife in the section, but that was just luck perhaps. It is beautiful, but so is elsewhere on your extended route.

No, that's for next time. I like driving scenic routes, just because I can.
I'm working from North to South, excluding France and Germany as I've already spent a lot of time there and the Alps.
This trip is just for me. Family and trans continental trips later in the year.:thumb
I decided this week to retire at Xmas 2017 but everyone tells me not to. One retiree explains how bored he is. Reading of your adventure is highly encouraging:thumb

I've rode both ways, on motorcycle back in 2012. From memory, nothing you won't see elsewhere on this missed section of E6. I did come across some wildlife in the section, but that was just luck perhaps. It is beautiful, but so is elsewhere on your extended route.

Found a short video clip, I posted back a few years ago..... Haven't watched it in ages.... Must get back to the Lofoten.

Last edited:
Found a short video clip, I posted back a few years ago..... Haven't watched it in ages.... Must get back to the Lofoten.

How did you find all the grooves cut into the tarmac by the snow ploughs? My dad wants to come over and visit on his bike on year.

We are taking the trip s l o w l y, on driving days we aim to strike camp at about 11am and pitch at about 2pm, with a stop for lunch and to exercise the dogs. I'm looking at the ferry departing Bodo at 11am on Wednesday 12 July and arriving in A at 2:15pm. I would want to leave two days for the drive Bodo to Narvik, giving us four days to explore Lofoten both ways; taking the ferry means six days to explore Lofoten one way, but it also means missing the Bodo to Narvik scenery.
If you are driving the E6 north to Bodo, then from 40 miles south of the Arctic Circle Centre there are road works for 30 miles. Major, major works straightening the E6. 20 min + traffic light delays on the single carriage sections, blasting of the cliff faces etc: The owner of the campsite I'm on said it will be really bad in the season and she advises people to leave very early , before 5 or very late at night to avoid the inevitable delays. There are no official stopping places on that stretch of roadworks.

If you want to see Reindeer, I saw a lot on the 812 that cuts across country from the E6 to Bodo. It's the equivalent of a very good UK B road. Lots of waterfalls, lakes and Reindeer + 3 Elk.

You would have passed right by the road to Beiarn. Such a shame I'm not there. Would have been nice to meet up. They are working on the 812 soon and building a few more tunnels to cut 15 mins off the trip to Bodø. There was lots of works on the E6 between fauske and Rognan. They sometimes shut the road for long periods after 17:00.

3 elk too. They are quite shy usually. The reindeer aren't though.

Day 10 and an interesting day. Overcast and drizzle when I left and now brilliant sunshine. Now at a virtually empty campsite beside a very full, fast flowing river.

IMG_0310.PNG

I took the 812 from the campsite to the E6, the main N/S route in Norway . It is like a very good B road. Lots of waterfalls, frozen lakes as it climbed into the uplands and lots of Reindeer.

IMG_6577.JPG

IMG_6578.JPG

Also saw 3 Elk, but no pictures I'm afraid. I youngster standing beside the road who just looked at me, very well camouflaged, and a mum and calf by the lakes edge. The adults are huge. Olli, our Forum member from Sweden, told me they are very dangerous as when hit they roll towards the car and basically flatten the roof and windscreen onto the front passengers. He advised to always steer to their rear as they will keep moving forward no matter what.
Anyway, joined the E6 and headed south. Stopped at the National Parks Centre for coffee and they had an exhibition of Norwegian weaving and paintings.

IMG_6580.JPG

IMG_6583.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6592.JPG

IMG_6593.JPG

And so onto the Arctic Circle Centre. Still surrounded by lots of snow. They've had the highest snowfall for a number of years and Spring is late this year. The Aspen aren't even in bud its been so cold. But today is gorgeous. After my visit, not a spot on the Nordkapp Centre, and a spot of lunch, Reindeer saute, mashed potatoes and lingonberry preserve, very tasty, I travelled south. The first 10 miles were fine and then 30 miles of road works. The E6 is very windy, up and down and narrow in places. They are widening and straightening it. Traffic lights, single lanes, rock blasting, rough track around sections. You name it. Fortunately the traffic was very light, but the campsite owner said it will be very bad when the season starts. Much prefer this time of year.

IMG_6607.JPG

IMG_6608.JPG

IMG_6610.JPG

IMG_6611.JPG

IMG_6613.JPG

IMG_6618.JPG

IMG_6619.JPG

IMG_6621.JPG

How did you find all the grooves cut into the tarmac by the snow ploughs? My dad wants to come over and visit on his bike on year.

Can't remember it being an issue. The speed limit is low, and the fines are high.... So, a cruising pace was the order of the trip.

The road can turn from silky smooth asphalt to gravel at the blink of an eye, due to road-works, repairs, water/river damage etc..... So, best to relax at a slower pace than normal. Using the bikes acceleration for overtaking buses/trucks when nessessary. My MPG was through the roof.

Day 11. I'm now about 250 miles South heading towards Kristiansund. Glorious sunshine to start with but headed into cloud and now it's light rain. A change in scenery, more forests and rivers and where I'm camped is in the middle of the agricultural belt. A few miles away, couldn't take any pictures unfortunately, there is a large, yellow, structure being built. An oil platform. Work on it has been on hold for 2 years because of the fall in oil prices but construction has recently restarted. Self service check in at this camp, mind you it only opened a few days ago. Some major infrastructure works being done around here so getting onto the campsite was interesting to say the least involving driving across a neighbours lawn, with his permission, as there was a large ditch across the lane and the workmen had nothing strong enough to bridge it when they stopped work on Friday.
You fill in the English or Norwegian form with your details and put the money and form in an envelope and into a letterbox. I checked first that all the facilities are on, nice heated shower block with music and hot water.
So this is where I am if anyone is interested and a few pictures along the way.

IMG_6622.JPG

Difficulty loading pictures unfortunately.

Day 12. Much better connection. Using same system so someone has either rebooted a router somewhere or I'm using a different Telecom company.
Anyway, it rained all night and all day and has only just cleared up.
Now in Kristiansund a few miles from the start of the Atlantic Tunnel and the Atlantic Highway Route 64.. That's for tomorrow.

IMG_0316.PNG

IMG_0317.PNG

The trip here involved the E6 and then Route 70. Lovely road, windy, a few tunnels, loads of Waterfalls and one 2 mile stretch of road which is the worst I've come across in my travels. They are straightening the road at this point so obviously haven't bothered maintaining it + the heavy machinery. 50kph speed limit which was 45 kph too fast. The BMW X5 in front was really struggling. The California performed perfectly but I did keep to 10kph as was everyone else.

I would definitely advise anyone who has a lowered California or non-standard 19 or 20" wheels to keep away from Scandinavia. Even @ollie from Sweden changed his 18" wheels for 17" because of the harshness of the ride.

The scenery, what I could see of it through the rain, was very Alpineesk, except for the houses.

IMG_6646.JPG

IMG_6647.JPG

IMG_6649.JPG

IMG_6651.JPG

IMG_6655.JPG

IMG_6656.JPG

IMG_6657.JPG

IMG_6659.JPG

After the Atlantic Highway I'm going to head here -

http://www.roadtraffic-technology.com/projects/laerdal-tunnel/

Anyone else been there?

Yep , we drove thru the Laeredal tunnel , seems there's no end at it...with a roundabout in the midlle of the tunnel , you will notice blue lights coming up and suddenly you are on a roundabout....we where speechles at the time ...i drove sevral times round it:D

Nice report. Scandinavia is Norway, Denmark and Sweden and I'd say Swedish and Danish roads are night and day different to Norwegian road standards. As are the views.

Nice report. Scandinavia is Norway, Denmark and Sweden and I'd say Swedish and Danish roads are night and day different to Norwegian road standards. As are the views.
Denmark and Sweden have their moments, if you go off the popular routes, but nothing like Norway on the main routes. I admire the HGV 12,16 and 18 wheeler drivers I've passed on these roads.

The Lærdal tunnel was nuts! I only went in from the north just to see the rest stop
6b223149ac79e48a5f195d200a5d7579.jpg

The old Aurlandsfjellet road goes over the top and you have the famous Steigastein viewpoint that looks out over the fjord. You can do them both in a nice big loop.

Just researched it. The 243 is still closed from Laerdal southwards. The viewing point is open if you approach from the south, but no further. We'll see how things pan out. Thanks @ArcticMatt
Never mind. The viewpoint is worth seeing though. There's a cute farm almost at the top which makes for a neat photo too. Enjoy :)