Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can anyone recommend a dash cam installer for the Cali?

Had a scare this morning when a rock dropped out of the poorly secured side of a lorry's load on the motorway and bounced off the bonnet and windscreen. Very difficult for me to prove it happened and fortunately on this occasion no sign of damage but it's made look more closely at dash cams.

A few posts recently about self-installs but this is outside of my skill set and I'd really like a rear-facing cam too which seems much more complicated.

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician or company who might be familiar enough with the Cali to do a good job of an install?

Location is less important as we're round the county a lot over next few months.

Looking at the Blackvue DR650 2 Channel at the moment

Thanks for any help!
Hi Lewis. Did you go for the Blackvue.?

I'm looking at the DR650S-2CH as I have a local fitter who I have some faith with in.

Anyone else fit it?

Mike

Hi Lewis. Did you go for the Blackvue.?

I'm looking at the DR650S-2CH as I have a local fitter who I have some faith with in.

Anyone else fit it?

Mike

I haven't got round to it yet. Made a couple of calls but people weren't willing to do the rear camera.

Let me know if you go ahead with it, I'd be happy enough to drive to Bristol to get it fitted.

I've just had a Kenwood dash cam fitted as a VW accessory item listed in there catalogue
and I guess like a ladder rack is covered by the warranty
Price inc full fitting and wiring direct to fuse box

I haven't got round to it yet. Made a couple of calls but people weren't willing to do the rear camera.

Let me know if you go ahead with it, I'd be happy enough to drive to Bristol to get it fitted.
Yep back camera is the issue. I've spoken to a place in Bristol before and they sounded up for it. Will be visiting them tomorrow for a chat and let you know.
Won't hurt to have a potential customer stream as makes it worthwhile for them working it out.

Sent you a pm with link to company.

Edit:- Had a better look following advice on here for routing rear cable and does not look to difficult. Messing about with the B Pillar most likely the most difficult thing.

Mike

Last edited:
I've just had a Kenwood dash cam fitted as a VW accessory item listed in there catalogue
and I guess like a ladder rack is covered by the warranty
Price inc full fitting and wiring direct to fuse box
we got a Kenwood too as accessory, but couldn't wait to have it installed by vw garage who sold us the van as had to come home. Now looking to have it installed in our home town...is it a big job and where did they place yours ?

I am told this is all singing and dancing

I have no experience of dash cams, I was recommended the above by an approved VW installer when I had a factory spec tow bar fitted

Apparently this system allows you to monitor your vehicle remotely whilst the vehicle is parked with no battery drain !

I hope this is of some help

As I say I have no experience of dash cams, please don’t shoot me down if you have an alternative view.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had mine wired to the rear leisure battery. We have a solar panel on the roof which means that there is very little chance of a serious drop in voltage and it is set to record any bumps it receives when parked up. Very impressed by the recording quality but a bit shocked at the amount of memory space the footage takes up. It takes a 128gb card so there is a fair bit of room on the card. I eventually bought a Thinkware F800 Pro, very neat install by a local dealer in Bristol.

Had a scare this morning when a rock dropped out of the poorly secured side of a lorry's load on the motorway and bounced off the bonnet and windscreen. Very difficult for me to prove it happened and fortunately on this occasion no sign of damage but it's made look more closely at dash cams.

A few posts recently about self-installs but this is outside of my skill set and I'd really like a rear-facing cam too which seems much more complicated.

Can anyone recommend an auto electrician or company who might be familiar enough with the Cali to do a good job of an install?

Location is less important as we're round the county a lot over next few months.

Looking at the Blackvue DR650 2 Channel at the moment

Thanks for any help!
I had a new radio/satnav fitted fitted by these guys - www.satnavsystems.com I believe they also fit dashcams, reversing cameras etc they are VW approved, were recommended by SMG Tonbridge, and for a charge will come to your house or place of work and do the fitting.

I had mine fitted by the VW dealer when I had my van serviced. I got the bits from Halfords and the VW garage fitted it.

I fitted my own from the instruction on the forum after a muppet at halfords refused to fit it as it would cost him money, got a refund and did it in about half an hour.

Do you have any instructions to share as to where the wires passed and where you hooked on the fusebox^ As here they are quoting like 400€ to fit front and rear dashcam.... so I think I will have to do it myself

I found it on the forum, just searched for dashcam install and a nice gentleman had posted full install instructions, takes about half an hour to fit