Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can't book campsite unless I have toilet

blakeley

blakeley

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
A lot of campsites are now taking bookings with free cancellations so I thought I would get in quick as nothing to lose. However so far I have called six campsites I called would not accept campervans and were only accepting self contained units. They would not even let me use me toilet tent :(

A couple mentioned it has come from their trade body not to allow campervans or tents

Of the six you called; are these independent, CaMC or CCC sites?

Because CCC and CaMC are taking booking July and beyond and there is no mention of these restrictions at the moment.

A lot of campsites are now taking bookings with free cancellations so I thought I would get in quick as nothing to lose. However so far I have called six campsites I called would not accept campervans and were only accepting self contained units. They would not even let me use me toilet tent :(

A couple mentioned it has come from their trade body not to allow campervans or tents

Im sure it’s a tough decision for campsite owners to exclude Campervans.
However, looking at it from their point of view. I can imagine some might declare a toilet and be quite happy Sh1tting in a bag...
Then those bags being left in campsite bins etc etc.

I think we can forgive a few campsite owners for the direction they take in the current climate...

Five independent and one was C&CC , I have emailed sone too but no replies yet.

Of the six you called; are these independent, CaMC or CCC sites?

Because CCC and CaMC are taking booking July and beyond and there is no mention of these restrictions at the moment.
Agree and would like to know
Also the issue of certificated locations who often don’t have facilities and most of the year the pitches are covered in cow dung
I seriously doubt farmer Fred would be so daft

Im sure it’s a tough decision for campsite owners to exclude Campervans.
However, looking at it from their point of view. I can imagine some might declare a toilet and be quite happy Sh1tting in a bag...
Then those bags being left in campsite bins etc etc.

I think we can forgive a few campsite owners for the direction they take in the current climate...
Um I’m not a big fan of no 2s in the van whether allowed or not.
This song comes to mind

“ if you go down to the woods today your sure for a big surprise............”:eek:

I spoke to caravan and motorhome club and they said no decision has been made yet whether toilet blocks will open. I notice they are still happy to take your booking though online

I recently gave up on my summer holiday in France and booked some time in Cornwall.
Both sites (heligan woods and treveague farm) seemed to be taking bookings for campervans and no mention of needing to be self contained.

I recently gave up on my summer holiday in France and booked some time in Cornwall.
Both sites (heligan woods and treveague farm) seemed to be taking bookings for campervans and no mention of needing to be self contained.

Maybe they have inside information into COBR ?:rolleyes:

I booked 1 in the lakes 11th July. No mention of anything and as said happy to take my money. Maybe those big whites should be forced to use their self contained shitters for a change and allow the toilet block to be used by others with tents etc. They could not give the caravans and motor homes the toilet code or key and leave the block free for others. Hey ho. I don't get it. I've been travelling by rail for the last 11 week and the toilets are always open and on the station. I don't get the fuss over it.

We were due to fly to Majorca in august but decided to cancel that and instead booked a site in Dorset for a week instead. No mention of the toilet blocks being closed or only allowing self contained units when I booked 2 weeks ago

We were due to fly to Majorca in august but decided to cancel that and instead booked a site in Dorset for a week instead. No mention of the toilet blocks being closed or only allowing self contained units when I booked 2 weeks ago

They don't know the rules , the same as none of us do yet, of course they will take your booking, they want your money !!!

They don't know the rules , the same as none of us do yet, of course they will take your booking, they want your money !!!
They know I'm in a camper van too. Also why did my writing go so small in my last post?

My friends own a campsite and they have decided to keep the toilet and shower blocks closed and are offering a discount for units with onboard facilities

Maybe they have inside information into COBR ?:rolleyes:
They are just taking the optimistic view that they will be able to fully open from 4th July, wanting their business to survive and return to some sort of normality rather than wallowing in doom and gloom.
Most have adapted cancellation policies accordingly so minimal risk in making a booking.

I think you'll be OK.

I was talking to a couple of campsite owners who are walking the fine line of when to open and how. What concerns them is some of the expectations and demands from a H&S perspective around managing toilet facilities to a standard that will be acceptable. The manpower required versus the costs and returns aren't there. If they can keep them closed and manage self contained units via sanitiser at a select number of water taps (fresh x a few and grey for emptying) plus the chemical toilet emptying they could make it work. That seems to be where the self contained bias is coming in as its a lot easier to manage it that way than try and opine on whether someones toilet is an appropriate one for a campervan (bag, chemical etc). I'd cut them some slack, everyone is trying to work out what this will look like and everyone has a different threshold of what 'acceptable behaviour' is.
EDIT: Oh and I meant to say i responded to a pretty good questionnaire from the C&MC the other day on 'how to reopen' so they are clearly thinking about staged reopening options. It's fair to say I doubt it will be a free for all.

Except the guy before you didn't and he was asymptomatic and now, you have opened the door using the same handle. Soon, you may well be unwell or not even know and you will now be touching lots of things. Which is how it spreads and the issue of containment becomes a problem again. Thats's the dilemma public health are dealing with here. Not whether it's convenient to , erm, have a convenience.

Except the guy before you didn't and he was asymptomatic and now, you have opened the door using the same handle. Soon, you may well be unwell or not even know and you will now be touching lots of things. Which is how it spreads and the issue of containment becomes a problem again. Thats's the dilemma public health are dealing with here. Not whether it's convenient to , erm, have a convenience.
I agree re door handle but the same risk is there touching anything in the public domain at the moment, shopping goods, shopping trolleys, post, packaging etc. Rule is - wash your hands if you've touched anything outside of your 'bubble' and that includes bog doors. So happens at West Wittering that there is no door on exit....

I agree re door handle but the same risk is there touching anything in the public domain at the moment, shopping goods, shopping trolleys, post, packaging etc. Rule is - wash your hands if you've touched anything outside of your 'bubble' and that includes bog doors. So happens at West Wittering that there is no door on exit....

I was at CAMC Ashridge farm when the clarion call came to go home and self-isolate.

Escaping from the bogs was the hardest thing possible.

Finally I worked out an amazing master plan of rolling off a length of bog roll with which to open the door with, peeling it off before washing hands.

It ended up getting quite tedious.....

Do what needed to be done, peel off bog roll, wash hands, realise bog roll was still in hands so drop paper mâché bog roll in bin, peel off another piece, wash hands again ....... :shocked

Back