Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Can't book campsite unless I have toilet

A lot of campsites are now taking bookings with free cancellations so I thought I would get in quick as nothing to lose. However so far I have called six campsites I called would not accept campervans and were only accepting self contained units. They would not even let me use me toilet tent :(

A couple mentioned it has come from their trade body not to allow campervans or tents
First week of lockdown I got an email from the caravan and motorhome club to say I’d won a prize in a competition for a month loan of a California ocean, 30 nights camping fees , Dover to Calais return all insurance cover, Go pro camera and a years membership. Also surf lessons and on the beach?? cookery lesson (i’m a 67-year-old retired chef )!We were already booked up to go to France in our Cali(Fanny).Which we have now cancelled. We’ve now got 30 nights booked in the UK.
Who knows if we’ll be going

I've sent a couple of emails to independent campsites asking if they're taking bookings for the summer. One has replied that they'll be asking people to use their own on board shower and toilet facilities. I'm unclear if this rules out shower tents, we've been thinking of getting one... do many people use them on campsites and do some sites object?

I've sent a couple of emails to independent campsites asking if they're taking bookings for the summer. One has replied that they'll be asking people to use their own on board shower and toilet facilities. I'm unclear if this rules out shower tents, we've been thinking of getting one... do many people use them on campsites and do some sites object?
Give them a quick call and ask if they accept Shower & Toilet tents. I think quite a few will be thinking of that option.

a lot of sites dont allow shower tents, i assume as its classed as grey water landing on your pitch
I completely agree this to be the case in normal times. I just wonder that if Government Advice permits it as an option, then some site may decide to allow it. That's for 3 reasons. Their precious grass should be in great condition now and only need to put up with half a seasons abuse. Also simply, they may be desperate for the money! Then maybe damaged grass is preferable to being a full time bog cleaner.

Buy a toilet. There is a little one fits under the sink. We always carry it and the chemicals, just in case...

A lot of campsites are now taking bookings with free cancellations so I thought I would get in quick as nothing to lose. However so far I have called six campsites I called would not accept campervans and were only accepting self contained units. They would not even let me use me toilet tent :(

A couple mentioned it has come from their trade body not to allow campervans or tents

Refusing booking because of a lack of own toilet is a reflection of complete ignorance.
Covid-19 and all are contagious mainly through aerosol, as a result of spitting, coughing, and sneezing.
Are these idiots asking all campers to wear masks in all areas of the site?

For the confused: keep 7 meters between pitches, limit the number of people who are using bathing facilities, bars, cafes, etc. at the same time. All will be good and business will be a joy.
COVID-19 is not at home in a toilet, compost heap, or cesspit.

Refusing booking because of a lack of own toilet is a reflection of complete ignorance.
Covid-19 and all are contagious mainly through aerosol, as a result of spitting, coughing, and sneezing.
Are these idiots asking all campers to wear masks in all areas of the site?

For the confused: keep 7 meters between pitches, limit the number of people who are using bathing facilities, bars, cafes, etc. at the same time. All will be good and business will be a joy.
COVID-19 is not at home in a toilet, compost heap, or cesspit.
In Singapore when they tracked the initial outbreak, caused by a couple from Wuhan attending a church service, they found that another couple had caught the virus by sitting in the same seats the carriers had sat in hours earlier. So I think it's quite reasonable to assume that toilet blocks would be a hot spot of virus transmission.

In Singapore when they tracked the initial outbreak, caused by a couple from Wuhan attending a church service, they found that another couple had caught the virus by sitting in the same seats the carriers had sat in hours earlier. So I think it's quite reasonable to assume that toilet blocks would be a hot spot of virus transmission.
I suspect the transmission was a result of failing to wash their hands after they had been to the toilet. Anything / anywhere used by the public can be a hot spot. Recent reports suggest there could be as many as 40 percent of people with covid 19 that are asymptomatic. Vaccine will not be with us for a long time, if ever, we need to find our way to the new normal.

Shower tents on a pitch sound like a big no no.
IMO I wouldn’t be happy using a pitch someone has decided to shower on earlier in the day.
It’s grey water and belongs in the same place as toilet waste...

Last edited:
We have recently made a booking for a French campsite in September, complete with a private toilet & shower ( they have a limited number of pitches with this facility ). Of course this will be cancelled if we can't travel but we thought it worth taking a chance on losing the small deposit.

Don't need a shower if you practise the 3 F's.
Screenshot_20200607_110128.jpg

Ours too, we would have to upgrade from an empty bottle of Lucozade :D
I can just imagine the conversation they'd have in A&E if you're distrubed - 'so what did you say they were doing with this bottle?'..... you need to read 'This Is Going To Hurt' by Adam Kaye - his diary as a doctor on gyne wards.

A Portaloo for each tent or Campervan pitch?

I have just spoken to a site local to me (Wallingford, Oxfordshire) and they are not looking to open washing facilities but are allowing shower tents so as long as you are ‘self contained’ of sorts then that is fine. Might just be down to what individual sites will do.

We can always use our Comfortz awning room for the Thetford if they get sniffy about our toilet tent (that we have used on many occasions in normal times).

The issue is clear to me, campsite owners like all business must do their risk assessment, if they choose to keep toilets closed it will not be because the risk is intolerable, but because they will have a financial outlay to mitigate the risk in terms of fitting door controls to maintain numbers and social distancing (or wages to put staff on duty) and again wages for the additional cleaning required.
Me too. Not rocket science, just needs time, effort and money, which many campsite owners may not have a lot of at the mo.

The cynic in me thinks it’s also a way of keeping out “undesirables“. There’s going to be plenty of newbies in the UK who don’t have a clue and are only camping because they can’t go anywhere else. Please note I’m not saying you’re a newbie or don’t have a clue if you choose not to have an onboard loo.

Shower tents on a pitch sound like a big no no.
IMO I wouldn’t be happy using a pitch someone has decided to shower on earlier in the day.
It’s grey water and belongs in the same place as toilet waste...
I agree you wouldn’t want to take a pitch after an inconsiderate user, but responsible showering is fine. Like responsible toileting.

Don’t shower like you would at home. Use an oven shelf soak tray or small Inflatable paddling pool as a shower tray, biodegradable soap, 2 flannels (different colours, one for bottle/bits only) and have a hybrid strip wash/shower. It doesn’t take much water and you can either flush it down the loo waste or better still go water some trees or plants on the peripheries of the site.

Stopped at a service station on M1 today and been to Sainsbury’s and IKEA tonight, all had toilets open. Why the big issue with campsites.
Changing the subject, what were the Ikea queues and stock levels like?

Back