Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Cant decide on Beach or Ocean and have a labrador to consider!

EmBuck

EmBuck

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi, we have been trying to decide on getting a Beach or an Ocean for a while now. Currently our large lab sits in the boot of our large 4x4 car in a large dog crate, for when I take him for daily walks. Does anyone have a large crate in the back? It is 23 inch deep, 36 wide, 25 high. Or could someone confirm the 'boot' areas for me please?
He is often wet and muddy when getting in the car so I really want to avoid him being sat on seats or the parcel shelf.
Thanks

Awww, theyre gorgeous!
Yes I'm swayed towards the beach as I just think it will be more practical as a day to day car for a family of 4 and a dog and various children I taxi around. But my husband insists that an ocean would be better. Its a tough decision. Nice one though!

We had the same predicament, it was my Wife Sarah who thought the SE/Ocean a better idea (She's now converted tho.)

You could meet in the middle, and get a California Coast. However, these aren't available in UK dealerships but are available in Rep. of Ireland. I think someone on this forum, also discussed the option to sell them, from Ireland, to the UK - It looked like quite an attractive option money wise I think.

For us tho, having the extra space, and ability to lie across the 3-seat bench seat (like the sofa at home) has cemented both our confirmations, that the Beach is best for us.

It’s a tricky question, and as I am sure you will find out, there are many different points and perspectives.

We are a family of three, and started with a Beach. But after a few months of the new campervan lifestyle, we changed to an Ocean. We found that we started doing more days out and liked having stuff in the van to pull over and have a quick brew (of course, nothing stopping you doing that in a Beach)

Have you seen these guys? Watch their videos, if you haven’t already, they have a Golden Retriever that they take in the back.

https://www.californiacamping.co.uk/

Anyway, good luck with the decisions, either way you go, it’s very exciting.

Been there and got the t-shirt. I'd start by breaking it down into what you want to use the van for (e.g. day trips, short camps, long camps, van, car, people carrier, commute etc.). Then draw up a list of pros and cons for each use. That approach delivered a clear answer for us.

We went for a Beach. All of the cons could be easily overcome (e.g. park up for a brew = keep a box in the van with a Jetboil, mugs and coffee in it) rather than an Ocean where they couldn't (need to carry 5 regularly and occasionally 6 = max 5 seats at a push).

You may get a different result and both versions are IMO superb at what they're designed for (i.e. campervanning). They just take a slightly different approach...so get the one that works best for you.

Hi Embuck,
We've had two Labradors in an SE (ocean) , and now a Labrador and a Springador pup. We use our van as a daily driver. To go dog walking etc we put both dogs in the boot with no parcel shelf - pup in crate and older Lab next to her. If we need the parcel shelf ie to sleep on or to put stuff on, we put both dogs on the floor behind the cab, older one on secure clip so she can still move but not fall forward if we have to brake suddenly and the pup in her crate which is also fastened in.
I think by far the easiest method is to secure your dog without the crate , otherwise you will have to keep moving the crate to use the living /sleeping part of the van. Your existing crate will fit fine in the boot, but not with the parcel shelf. You would also need to think about where you would put your luggage if the boot was full of Labrador.
Hope this helps.

Hi, we have two dogs - a greyhound and a springer. For day to day use we have taken out the parcel shelf mattress and made a new base for on top of the parcel shelf out of foam awning tiles. On top of that is the dog rug and springer goes in a fabric crate on one side and greyhound curls up on the other side. Both seem quite happy. That leaves quite a lot of room underneath the shelf for boots / coats etc. Parcel shelf is really quite roomy. Keeps interior area nice and clean too.

There's certainly a lot more room in a Beach, I wouldn't mind trying one out. The cupboards in our SE tend to accumulate junk and for the amount of cooking we do one of those cheapo gas cookers in a box would do. I guess something is available for a wardrobe (and you can get a coolbox for the wine & beer ;))

It would have to have a parking heater though ....

I've shared these photos before.... I think.... Here's our Sleep, Cook, Cinema & Camp setups - In our Beach.

Works perfect for us..... We have the parking/overnight heater in our Beach, and have a compressor fridge which sits nicely between the driver and front-passanger seats.

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 20.44.32.png Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 20.44.51.png Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 20.45.35.png Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 20.45.21.png

And shower!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWppEmDleCm/?taken-by=vela_vagabond_

Last edited:
Wow - a projector TV?

Yeah, it a Philips PicoPix..... I drive it from my laptop.... the internal battery is good for about 2hrs 30mins.... then it runs off the 12v. I try to re-charge it again to full, when on the move the next day.... Works great at home also!

Hi, we have been trying to decide on getting a Beach or an Ocean for a while now.
We are on an extended tour with two adults, two toddlers and we started off with two collies, but found it too much and reluctantly gave our collie puppy, which we had bred, to my cousin.

The Beach is really the only van which would work for us. We drive and sleep in the van and set up the kitchen and living space in a drive away awning.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Hi, we have been trying to decide on getting a Beach or an Ocean for a while now. Thanks
Take a look at a YouTube channel (not mine !) as the newish owners have a Lab and their videos are really useful and short.

California Camping - orangey red logo.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. We had decided to go for the Ocean in the end and had fully specced it up on the configuration online.
So, We went to the VW showroom yesterday to look at the California ocean with our spec in hand but the ocean we were looking at seemed to have some issues: the bench seat wouldnt slide back and kept getting stuck, the wardrobe cupboard was tricky to open, and then the man couldn't turn the drivers seat around! It wasn't giving us a great feeling tbh.

So today on the spur of the moment, we went to Mercedes to look at the Marco Polo. And now We've gone and really confused ourselves by test driving it and really liking it. The build quality seemed great. The staff were really helpful. My kids loved it too. And tonight when comparing the specs and accessories the merc has come out cheaper then our spec of the Cali ocean! Oh and it has leather seats too which we really wanted, having 2 kids and a dog.
But it's just not a VW CAMPERVAN is it?!

Stupid VW dealer - please name and shame. Why salesmen don't know their products inside out amazes me. The front seats can be tricky to swivel, but someone trying to flog the vehicle should know how it's done.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Yeah, it a Philips PicoPix..... I drive it from my laptop.... the internal battery is good for about 2hrs 30mins.... then it runs off the 12v. I try to re-charge it again to full, when on the move the next day.... Works great at home also!
I appreciate this is a v old thread, but it just popped up on one of my searches. What have you used to project that on to, have you changed blind for a lighter colour etc as the idea is amazing.

I appreciate this is a v old thread, but it just popped up on one of my searches. What have you used to project that on to, have you changed blind for a lighter colour etc as the idea is amazing.

Just the standard blind in our 2017 T6 Beach, works a treat.

Hi, we have been trying to decide on getting a Beach or an Ocean for a while now. Currently our large lab sits in the boot of our large 4x4 car in a large dog crate, for when I take him for daily walks. Does anyone have a large crate in the back? It is 23 inch deep, 36 wide, 25 high. Or could someone confirm the 'boot' areas for me please?
He is often wet and muddy when getting in the car so I really want to avoid him being sat on seats or the parcel shelf.
Thanks
We are a family of four as well so a beach could be a wise decision especially as you also have a doggy. I was exactly the same as your husband wanting a Ocean, but after hours of research on this forum, I went with a Beach and the extra space is soo welcome ;-). I do miss a parking heater (a heater without being plugged in to electric), however you can get a parking heater with a ocean so maybe get hat installed if you go down the beach route. However, if i had a Ocean, i definitely wouldn't moan either. Both brilliant!

Back