Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and camping club

Not had much to do with either over the years ,but what i did find CC you need to book up way in advance .. just joined the CC&C as i wanted to book 3 sites up ...I didn't look close enough ,as i found all 3 sites where only listed site's and nothing really to do with CC&C ,but only adverising ,so didn't get any discounts .... Not sure i'll get anything out of it ,as i don't need breakdown or insurance .....
:sad

Camping Clubs are they worth it?

Hi all,

hope you are all well.

Just came back from a nice long weekend staying in the Cali in Brighton. We had two days in Brighton then moved to the New Forrest and spent our last night in the Sandy Balls Campsite, well worth a look great place.

Anyways Camping clubs are they worth joining and if so which one would you recommend, Camping & Caravanning Club or the Caravan Club?

Thanks all,

Re: Camping Clubs are they worth it?

Big advantage is you can stay at the CL sites which are quiet sites for just 5 vans.
Plus insurance etc deals and a free mag from caravan club. Don't know about caravan and camping.

Re: Camping Clubs are they worth it?

Are you the blue Cali I saw on Marine Parade on Saturday lunchtime? It was hissing down at the time, but we still had a great walk along the beach.

As for clubs, there is quite a lot of discussion on the site, and whether you like them or not depends on your camping likes and dislikes. You pays your money and takes your choice. We belong to both - it's not expensive in the grand scheme of things - so my recommendation would be just try them both for a year, and then see what you think

As a newbie I'm wondering if it is worth joining the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravanning Club? We're going to northern France at the end of September and we're looking for advice about sites etc. For the future we're likely to want to go on weekend / short breaks around the UK and to stay at sites with good facilities.

Which is the better / best club to join?

We also ditched both clubs this year as we hardly ever used any of their sites, the only thing we may miss is the certified locations ( small sites with less than 5 pitches) as you must be a member to use these.

Don't forget alot of the club sites accept non members, it just means you pay an extra few quid per night.

Ditto - what Martin Said :D

I am a tight git so if I joined the club then I would need to get VFM, so I would only book sites from that club - and at the moment I am loving the flexibility.

Last couple of trips we have used PitchUp and have found their reviews to be very reliable, they also list lots of C+C Club Sites and show availability on lots of sites.

T

I'm a tight git as well teeboy but I'm not expecting to get any VFM's (Voluptuous Female Mates) from the main-stream clubs. What clubs have you been using and is 'flexibility' a requirement??

I'm with Stu on this one , we camped all over Italy for 11 and 13 euros a night all in.
:thumb
Ron.

I have an ACSI card for France and find it very useful. It's only a few euros that even tight hits can afford. ;) I have also have just come across a book called France Passion www.france-passion.com that gives loads of free camping sites in France on vineyards, farms, craft and artisan sites. Some have full facilities some not and they are only available to camper vans or motor homes. The idea is you stay there free and if you want to buy some wine, honey, cheese et that's ok but there is no obligation.Off to France next week and plan to try it out. For this country we are also members of the National Trust. Probably not great value but you can tell yourself you are doing something altruistic !

Sorry to be dim but what is an ACSI card and where do you get them from? Thanks. Sue.

But it on-line sue ... Type it in in google and it should come up the website :)

I am going to be the dissenter here - I really rate the Caravan Club - excellent sites, discounts for Chatsworth House, Longleat, M6 toll, Towsure and discounted insurance etc etc. I am happy with what i pay for the quality of the site and the membership fee is nearly returned via discounts. So a good deal me feels.

I echo the sentiments above. We're in both clubs and get our money back time and again each year.

Thank you everyone for such helpful advice. I have ordered an ACSI card and we are greatly looking forward to the trip.

I have become a very keen lurker on this forum - it really is an extraordinary place full of genuine enthusiasts and kind and supportive people - seems worth getting a Cali just to be part of this community!
:D :thanks

Nice of you to say :thumb enjoy your trip :hello

We joined the Caravan club on the strength of the Longleat discounts both on ticket price and discounts when inside....the overall trip ended up being cheaper even with the annual membership cost and the Longleat site is excellent!

We probably wouldn't have joined if it weren't for this specific set of offers.

We don't belong to either as it is not our idea of camping at all , too many rules and regulations and jobsworth wardens sticking teir noses in. We prefer small independant campsites where it feels like you are camping and not stuck in rows of tin tents.

The problem with both clubs is in their name and it begins with C and ends in N and there are too many of them.

Sorry to offend any caravanners on here

We joined the Camping and Caravanning Club last year as it's nice to know what you are getting in terms of decent, clean loos and showers on a site. This is especially important if you are travelling for work. Some friends are members with a two-year-old and they like the C&CC sites as they know there will usually be something for their little girl to play on and that the facilities are clean and safe.

The sites seem friendly and well looked after. You get a monthly mag with your membership with features on places to visit and new camping products etc.

We do of course stay on other sites too which are often not up to the standard we see at C&CC sites.

here's a slightly tongue-in-cheek blog post on the topic of the C&CC

That's not tongue in cheek, it's just a cheap and inaccurate shot.

I joined the C&C Club this year for the first time, and have used them almost exclusively since joining. Their sites are a total bargain if you are travelling alone as they charge per person (try £9/night high season) , and not once have I felt restricted by their rules. Dogs on leads, clear up poops, no noise when most are trying to sleep...what's the problem with that?

I know they don't suit everyone. I don't see many big groups sat around a big fire drinking lager until 2 in the morning, but that suits me just fine.

We also joined the C & C club this year, one attraction for use is the age concession rates :D
Ron.

I've been a C&CC member since 1998. I tried 2 of their own run sites, and 1 of their forrest sites and on all 3 experiences vowed never to return... They were the most depressing and oppressive sites ever, if you like living in a large white plastic box then they will probably feel just right for you, but not my scene at all.

On the other hand my kids and I love the hundreds of C&CC associated sites, those small 5 pitch low key, basic sites in 'tastic rural locations, run by normal folk who have a bit of spare land they can allocate to allow C&CC members to use at very reasonable fees.

I also find their Cali insurance the best available.

It is clearly a confusing and confused club.