Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and camping club

Caravan Club initially but changed to Camping and Caravanning Club after a year then nothing. The CC has lovely sites, the C&CC perhaps more open and child friendly (grandkids occasionally on tow) but I do not think the cost was worth it as we were/are tending to camp out at events and festivals and perhaps try some Wildcamping. So joined the https://www.wildcamping.co.uk site for that side of things.

I've been pondering this question as well. Not too bothered about discount as we generally tend to prefer small independent sites with a bit of wild camping. The thing that might make me join is if either / both had sites which were exclusively for members that we would not be able to use if not members. Is that the case?

I've been pondering this question as well. Not too bothered about discount as we generally tend to prefer small independent sites with a bit of wild camping. The thing that might make me join is if either / both had sites which were exclusively for members that we would not be able to use if not members. Is that the case?
I think the Certified Locations, 5 or less pitches, are for members only.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/uk-holidays/uk-sites/certificated-locations/

http://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/ukcampsites/smallsites/

So both seem to have exclusive sites - and the sort that we would probably like. Might take the plunge and join one of them this year then. Still can't decide which though.........
If you travel the M6 then maybe Caravan & Motorhome?

We joined both this month. Joined C&MC because the Crystal Palace site will likely be a regular haunt for nights out in London (we live just outside but trains and taxis are extortionate and trains stop at 12). Also wanted the M6 toll discount as we use it 5-10 times a year.

Joined C&CC simply because they had sites we would have booked anyway. For our trip north over Easter holidays we've almost covered the membership fee in discounts already.

Was very sceptical about clubs pre-ownership but seems to make sense now.

Have been in both clubs for about 8 years. They're pretty much of a muchness but we prefer Caravan Club mainly because you get to pick your own pitch. Yes, we've come across some very militant wardens but the majority of them are friendly and welcoming. Some super sites in the network and you're guaranteed excellent facilities.

Was in the C & CC for 39 years basically as we tent camped initially and you can't do that with the CC.
over the years progressed through trailer tent to caravans then motorhome.

I have now joined the C&MC. reason - I just want a hard standing and toilet block facilities for 1 or 2 nights. C&CC might stick me on a sloping grass pitch.

Main difference from my view is that C&CC as the name says caters for camping. Sites are mainly 'fields' with few hard standings. More family/children orientated.
C&MC (not stayed on a site but walked around a few) seemed more of an organised and older couple orientated setup. lots of hard standings and as now have included motorhome in their title indicated that they are following the trend away from caravans into motorhomes.

If you use a driveaway awning and have family then probably C&CC most suitable.

They both are open to non members so you could do trial runs to both before deciding.

I belong to both. About £100 per year in fees.

Membership discounts normally save me a lot of that.

A week ago needing somewhere to park Albert up urgently or spend three nights in a hotel saved me around £300 by finding a space at the CC site in Brighton.

When I need to go to London I often park up at the CC&C site at Chertsey or the CAMC site at Selhurst park saving a fortune.

Both clubs at first site appear to present you with lots of rules and regulations but in practice it's turn up and park, respecting your neighbours.

Facilities tend to be excellent.

Network of sites, a couple of hundred each, plus a few thousand certificated locations ( 5 van max sites, varying facilities) means it's normally fairly easy to find something near to where you want to go.

Personally, for me, membership of both gives excellent value.

Does either club offer any benefits on the continent - e.g. Reciprocals with organisations there?

Does either club offer any benefits on the continent - e.g. Reciprocals with organisations there?

I've never used either club on the continent, mostly due to sheer variety and quantity of choice plus organisations like ACSI but both are good for ferry bargains I believe.

• Thanks
Reactions: DM
Camping Club GO Outdoors Discount
GetAsset.aspx

As a Club partner, Go Outdoors give members an additional 10% off their Discount Card prices, all year round.

We were members of C & CC when we camped and then members of both when we had our caravan. Both have very good sites and, as GrannyJen mentioned, both offer good discounts. We're still waiting for Cali (confirmed build next week) so have joined both to start booking our trips away, getting discounts, etc. Enjoy!

Have you found vans with driveaway awnings have had issues on C&MC sites?
Not if you book a "with awning" pitch.

As campers, we have been in the C&CC for a number of years. However, have literally just got back from our first stay with the C&MC. Went to Melrose for the weekend to try C&MC out - nicely placed site and lovely wardens. Now happen to have memberships started 6 months apart, which is useful. We really like the C&CC but membership of the "other one" fills the gaps in the map as far as coverage goes - especially in Scotland where we do the majority of our holidaying.
Maybe try one first and then see if you like their ethos?

As many have said try before you buy. I you meet any jobs-worth wardens I guess complain to the club and don't return. I know a warden like that would spoil my weekend !

...me..
LLAP

Have you found vans with driveaway awnings have had issues on C&MC sites?
On the C & MH sites they normally want you to Reverse in with the Off-Side to the White Peg Pitch marker. However this means your sliding door/awning etc: opens/is pitched on the next door pitch. Just point out that you will therefore be on next doors pitch. How would you like me to park then?
They have always said to drive in with Near Side front to white pitch marker. They are used to UK caravans/Motor Homes with the door on the wrong side ( well compared to a proper California ).

Never had any problems.

The rule was originally intended so that caravans could be easily moved in case of fire as their towbars would be facing the roadway.

On the C & MH sites they normally want you to Reverse in with the Off-Side to the White Peg Pitch marker. However this means your sliding door/awning etc: opens/is pitched on the next door pitch. Just point out that you will therefore be on next doors pitch. How would you like me to park then?
They have always said to drive in with Near Side front to white pitch marker. They are used to UK caravans/Motor Homes with the door on the wrong side ( well compared to a proper California ).

Never had any problems.

The rule was originally intended so that caravans could be easily moved in case of fire as their towbars would be facing the roadway.

Thank you, that's really helpful - Staying at a site this weekend, much easier to be pro-active on arrival than get into any debates later.

They seem to have a new wording on where to position to the peg!

Been told twice now, front N/s corner or rear O/s corner, depending on what way round you are. In other words as long as required distance from neighbours is preserved we really don't care.

Sometimes I find it rather quaint when "spiffing, top-hole old boy" organisations take 20 years to adjust to the obvious :D

"all these damned people in johny-foreigner vans that are the wrong way round ..... humph!!"

But we are still faced with either pegging out the awning onto the hardstanding or the awning beyond the peg if we want it on the grass...

Unless we can get a grass pitch without hardstanding.