Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravan and camping club

Eventually settled on the quiet site. Was really cold. We used a fan heater but it was a bit noisy. Looked for an oil filled rad to leave on low. But all seemed too tall for boot. Anyone got one that fits under rear bed?

Eventually settled on the quiet site. Was really cold. We used a fan heater but it was a bit noisy. Looked for an oil filled rad to leave on low. But all seemed too tall for boot. Anyone got one that fits under rear bed?
When you're on electric hook-up fan heaters are great - we like to use their electric rather than our diesel! But when we go to bed, we leave the 'onboard' heater on throughout the night on 2 or 3, which is just fine for us. We're not keen on sleeping in warm environments anyway. Cosy socks, a decent tog duvet, and a fleecy blanket is usually sufficient!

When you're on electric hook-up fan heaters are great - we like to use their electric rather than our diesel! But when we go to bed, we leave the 'onboard' heater on throughout the night on 2 or 3, which is just fine for us. We're not keen on sleeping in warm environments anyway. Cosy socks, a decent tog duvet, and a fleecy blanket is usually sufficient!

We did our first "frosty" stay a few days ago, without leaving any heating on - we were toasty in our sleeping bags up top but the poor van froze inside - have now learned a lesson and will keep a heater going to keep the van itself snug when frost threatens :)

We only got the van on Friday and when we read the handbook it said if we use the diesel heater we would die of carbon monoxide poisoning so we're a bit scared to leave on overnight.

Dangerous things handbooks.
By all means get a CO detector but don't be put off by that. Plenty of us use the heaters and are still alive.
Or you could die of hypothermia instead I guess.:(

By all means get a CO detector but don't be put off by that. Plenty of us use the heaters and are still alive.
It was -3.5 degrees so without our fan heater we may have perished.
Will get a co detector and go native

We only got the van on Friday and when we read the handbook it said if we use the diesel heater we would die of carbon monoxide poisoning so we're a bit scared to leave on overnight.
I've had it on continuously for 5 days, 120 hrs in total. Yes the Diesel heater puts out some Carbon Monoxide, CO, BUT be aware that Diesel Engines produce significantly less CO than a Petrol engine. The Diesel heater puts out minuscule amounts compared to your Diesel engine and lastly the CO from the heater is exhausted outside. NO exhaust gases are piped into the interior of the vehicle.
So, sleeping in an attached Awning with the Diesel Heater on has a small risk but not sleeping in the vehicle with the side door closed.
You are more at risk sleeping in the vehicle, especially if the roof is down with all the windows closed, or cooking with all windows/doors closed due to CO from cooking but also Carbon Dioxide from normal breathing of the passengers.
Fit a battery CO alarm, for your own peace of mind, use or don't use the heater as required BUT always ensure you have adequate ventilation especially if sleeping with the roof down as you lose the ventilation vents in the canvas. Using a Topper does not block those vents. More ventilation is good. Just turn the heater up if needed.:thumb

I've had it on continuously for 5 days, 120 hrs in total. Yes the Diesel heater puts out some Carbon Monoxide, CO, BUT be aware that Diesel Engines produce significantly less CO than a Petrol engine. The Diesel heater puts out minuscule amounts compared to your Diesel engine and lastly the CO from the heater is exhausted outside. NO exhaust gases are piped into the interior of the vehicle.
So, sleeping in an attached Awning with the Diesel Heater on has a small risk but not sleeping in the vehicle with the side door closed.
You are more at risk sleeping in the vehicle, especially if the roof is down with all the windows closed, or cooking with all windows/doors closed due to CO from cooking but also Carbon Dioxide from normal breathing of the passengers.
Fit a battery CO alarm, for your own peace of mind, use or don't use the heater as required BUT always ensure you have adequate ventilation especially if sleeping with the roof down as you lose the ventilation vents in the canvas. Using a Topper does not block those vents. More ventilation is good. Just turn the heater up if needed.:thumb
When you say topper! Is that an external cover to keep us toasty?

Or you could die of stress from worrying too much. Used our heater for the last ten years and no problems

Yes. There is an Internal Topper available, but it won't keep the canvas dry and I don't know if it allows airflow through the canvas air vents, as I only have the waterproof external one.

Yes, we have one and use it regularly. Definitely keeps the van warmer,quieter and as WG says the canvas dry. You still get ventilation/air movement. Internal toppers are also well recommended but you don't need both. Search for toppers on the forum, plenty of info and opinions, they sell them in the club shop too.

With regard to ventilation, you can use both the internal and external toppers if you want a really cosy Cali. The Brandrup gortex internal liner is not a sealed fit around the top and whilst I don't know for certain, I suspect the Comfortz internal liner isn't either. The external topper isn't sealed around the bottom. However when we have used both in really cold wet weather we always leave either the drivers or passenger window on the leeward side slightly open. If you are going to do this you will require either VW wind deflecters or Dubflectas otherwise you may get rain ingress.

Whilst the internal liner remains fitted permenantly we only use the external topper occasionally when either very cold and/or very wet weather is forecast.
We have discovered that even if the vehicle roof canvas does get very wet it does dry out quickly. You can also speed this up by running the heating at full blast for a while.

If you intend to use a Cali all year round then I would definitely recommend fitting an internal liner. It cuts down drafts and keeps every thing upstairs dry and alot warmer. It also has the added benifit that you don't have to get out on a dark, windy, rainy campsite and struggle with putting the external topper on.

As others have said, A CO detector is as cheap as chips, takes up no room and works.

The heater is fantastic, decadence at a press of a button, quite safe to use and just think how difficult it would be to hold a wine glass with frostbitten fingers! :shocked

As others have said, A CO detector is as cheap as chips, takes up no room and works.

The heater is fantastic, decadence at a press of a button, quite safe to use and just think how difficult it would be to hold a wine glass with frostbitten fingers! :shocked
Or even worse, chilled red!

I've just realised that, if cold, I sleep downstairs with roof closed and heater on. I might have a CO detector, but I get the drift that this might not be the safest move?
I'd hate to find my dog is on a par with a canary.....

As I understand, if it's the Eberspacher it shouldn't matter because the exhaust is outside (underneath) the van.

I've just realised that, if cold, I sleep downstairs with roof closed and heater on. I might have a CO detector, but I get the drift that this might not be the safest move?
I'd hate to find my dog is on a par with a canary.....
That's fine but you should have a window open 2cms for ventilation as you would build up CO2 drop Oxygen and increase condensation without it.
Carbon Monoxide will not be a problem. I do exactly the same. I use these
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-t5t6-ventilation-cabin-windows-pair

Just 1 is sufficient.

That's fine but you should have a window open 2cms for ventilation as you would build up CO2 drop Oxygen and increase condensation without it.
Carbon Monoxide will not be a problem. I do exactly the same. I use these
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product/vw-t5t6-ventilation-cabin-windows-pair

Just 1 is sufficient.

Ah brilliant - thanks for posting this. I'd never seen them before and was expecting to have to buy wind deflectors to get around the carbon dioxide problem and didn't really want to.

Ah brilliant - thanks for posting this. I'd never seen them before and was expecting to have to buy wind deflectors to get around the carbon dioxide problem and didn't really want to.
We fitted wind deflectors can drop window a little same effect but cheaper

Hello All,

We have finally, after 3 years of discussion, just bought a 5 year old California SE and it is great!

Thank you for answering many of my questions in your threads already and much of your advice has already been put into practice.

Can i ask what are your thoughts on joining either the Camping and Caravanning Club or the Caravanning and Motorhome Club?

Many thanks in advance.

Craig

Hello All,

We have finally, after 3 years of discussion, just bought a 5 year old California SE and it is great!

Thank you for answering many of my questions in your threads already and much of your advice has already been put into practice.

Can i ask what are your thoughts on joining either the Camping and Caravanning Club or the Caravanning and Motorhome Club?

Many thanks in advance.

Craig
Either or both. Both have good and bad points. I belong to both and because they both have sites I like I cover the membership costs by the reduction in site fees for members. Also you save on the M6 toll with the Caravan & Motorhome Club and you get access to the hundreds of Certified Locations both register.

No experience that may be help to you regarding caravan club as i am not from the UK , so let me just welcome you on your first post .

:welcome we also are in both. Joined 6 months apart so spreads the cost re renewal dates.