Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Caravanner of the Year BBC2 Wed 8.00pm

As a newcomer to owning a motor home I've been wondering whether to join the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club, this program has at least solved that problem.

The benefits of belonging to both ..... from 3 minutes ago.

I have just received an email. My local train service is on strike Tuesday 26th to Thursday. I have an appointment in London on Tuesday and was travelling up first thing Tuesday morning.

Quickly on to the Internet, the C & CC, a place available at their Chertsey site, Albert and I now travelling up Monday evening, catching the train from Weybridge to Wimbledon, 15 minute journey time, Tuesday morning. Cost of my Stay £11.45 per night, refund from Southern rail £33.15.

I was told about this by a caravanning friend in the local so watched it. Big mistake! It should have been titled " How to make people look like d*cks" . The Chairman of the Caravan Club idiotically agreed to take his own new caravan up an impossible gradient with a sharp approach incline and, surprise, surprise, got stuck and then ripped the back panel off, causing, he said, a few thousand pounds worth of damage! If the programme is Caravanner of the Year, why include motorhomes and caravans? As we all know the two are entirely different, with completely different usage and manoeuvering performances. I had to double check the credits at the end to make sure that the program was not directed by Jeremy Clarkson! What a complete load of puerile nonsense. I am a member of the Caravan Club but after seeing this program and the performance of the club chairman, I am ashamed to say so. The Campervan owners appeared by 4 to be the most genuine and certainly did not take them for their time to seriously, to their credit .

My wife and I joined the Caravan Club last year in order to qualify for their insurance to cover our new Cali. (They offer a very good policy which includes a new for old benefit for the first two years). So far we have only used several CC sites but have found them all to be truly excellent. They have been clean, tidy, well laid out, well organised and well run by hard working and friendly people. We have found every site to be very quiet with the other residents very much keeping themselves to themselves. Accordingly any serious documentary would IMO probably be as dull as dish water. That's not a criticism, we actually enjoy the peace and quite.

We might be in the minority but Mrs B and I both had a good chuckle during these programs. Whether the participants realised it or not, it was very obviously intended as a light hearted send up and was not ment to be taken too seriously. IMO one of the most endearing qualities of us Brits is our ability to laugh at ourselves and camping, caravaning and for that matter campervaning certainly has a whiff of eccentricity and humor about it. There was another program recently about us Brits camping through the decades, which was on a similar format.
It might not have been the most edifying of programs but in amongst the sea of complete and utter rubbish trotted out on our goggle boxes every night, we at least found it made an amusing and light hearted change.

It has certainly stirred up a few CC members.

I might just read the club mag next month instead of using it as BBQ starter fuel :(

Well it got the forum going so from a tv point of view it worked!

We had a good laugh watching it. It was light hearted and amusing.
The passengers reversing was very amusing in so many ways, the reversing being the least of it.
Wouldn't rush to see a whole series but I enjoyed one.

Is it just me or did it seem like the producers set out to make them look a bit foolish "stereotypical" couples and not the lovely people I'm sure they are?

Also I don't think they should have a challenge the people "judging" are unable to do it themselves, now maybe that is just me. :headbang

As Brucie would say "didn't she do well" considering she was so nervous driving that motor home ! :thumb
I agree...they are 'sprucing' it up for TV methinks - 8 hours of normal behaviour being filmed and they will concentrate and show the 10 seconds of 'foolery' between a couple... It's just show business...