Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Carrying bikes internally

Thelovewalrus

Thelovewalrus

I
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Has anyone carried bikes internally at the rear,by removing the the back bed extension and moving the rear seat forward?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In an Ocean ? Yes but unless you are a midget they don't fit lengthways. Best bet is wheels off and into a soft bag, you get a bit more space that way. I have a beach for this exact reason as I can get my bikes in with the multiflex folded up and still space for my daughter on the bench seat

In an Ocean, don't do it. The risk of scratches and scrapes is too great. Plus you will find that you need to remove this or that to get it in. Far better and easier to have an external carrier

Yes, but with both wheels out and pedals off, frames resting vertically on their forks against against the rear bench seat. An old blanket used to cover them and you wouldn't know they were in there.

Depends on your bike. Done this before with 2 islabikes and my hardball. 20170514_092428.jpg8

Managed to get two 20” Islabikes on the multiflex and two folded Bromptons under the multiflex in our Beach with all seven seats fitted.

It’s getting harder as the boys grow.

We haven’t yet tried to fit our tandem inside or outside.

No. I have a towbar and a bike carrier for that reason.

I managed to transport a big standing freezer (laying down of course, on the lower bed).
I managed to transport 2 side doors of a Renault Laguna II.
I managed to transport too much bags of sand and cement in one time.

I don't even want to try to transport a bike inside my van.

Chinese cargo trike.
dda7f1ceb212be71a86ea11916b24f45.jpg

Mine is generally covered in mud/sand/crap so don’t have it inside even though it was £5.4k

I use my van for a lot of sportives, I have a fairly expensive road bike, there is no chance I’d hang it off the back of my tow bar rack for overnight stays so I made a bracket that sits in the rails and holds the front forks. Front wheel off, slide seat all way back (removed safety stop and rear parcel shelf thing). It suits me as I sleep above whilst my bike is safely inside and I can still use kitchen and even get the inside table out!

Mine is generally covered in mud/sand/crap so don’t have it inside even though it was £5.4k
2 bikes in ocean no problem with front wheels removed
Use cardboard to stop scratching to van or bikes
Best way is carrier mounted on towball
No load on back door which is not designed to carry that weight
Also you can open back door as bike carrier folds down

Agree totally !!

On the subject, we have a Bike Friday folding tandem which folds quickly into a bag, and fits nicely on the floor of the Cali without moving anything. Of course, we have to take it out to use the van for camping, but the bag has handles and it is easy to move. We much prefer this over a bike rack. Also not suitable for more than two people.

I think 5 road bikes in was my record. Front wheels off. With wheels on, we had two or three with the bars slightly turned. Awesome for bikes and as a cycling base if you can temporarily do without the lower bed. Go for it.

1 or 2 pricey bikes in middle sometimes with front wheel off one bike, back wheel of one between passenger seat and kitchen, rug or something for protection, roll seat back to jam in, never had a scratch or mark , once parked for night lock bikes to a van wheel or the spare wheel rack but if leaving van unattended they stay inside. Could use a bike bag but it's more faff and something to store

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Is this when I tell you about my bike rack being cut off my SE a few years back with 3 bikes on it? Towbar mounted rack backed into a wall. 15 grand of bikes - gone. Got a beach this time so my bikes are inside.

I use my van for a lot of sportives, I have a fairly expensive road bike, there is no chance I’d hang it off the back of my tow bar rack for overnight stays so I made a bracket that sits in the rails and holds the front forks. Front wheel off, slide seat all way back (removed safety stop and rear parcel shelf thing). It suits me as I sleep above whilst my bike is safely inside and I can still use kitchen and even get the inside table out!

I do that as well, no probs and bike safe and dry.

AE4594E7-3417-47CC-96EE-88CF86D67EC9.jpegAE4594E7-3417-47CC-96EE-88CF86D67EC9.jpeg

VW spec original equipment gas struts hold 2 bikes, with more use a pole like Amarillo. Don’t do it without someone watching if the raising roof is up!

Back