Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

cassette loo

Paddington's a bear .... he just waits for a handy wood to come up

Isn't that just number two's?

I've no idea, where Paddington piddles has never been a research topic that I've involved myself in ...

Although I have come close .

By the way, the Thetford Portapotti 335 is - as far as I know - the only chemical toilette that fits under the Cali's sink.
We use it on a regular basis for No. 1 use with no problems or noticeable smell. For a night use / 2 persons it needs to be emptied after every 3 nights.
We tried also No. 2 use, but changed our mind quickly. :)

Dometic 972 does too, but a bit more fiddly. That wasn't an issue with us because we didn't fancy a lavatory in the larder :D

Still can't belive one places a bucket in the drawer to use as a toilet ...how do they clean that propperly on site afther use ? With plastic gloves and a brush in the showers or what....
Common guys what the hell is wrong with any decent portable chemic toilet?
Apart from emptying the waste tank it's exact the same concept as your toilet at home...
As for using the chemic products there are alternatives that don't have the typical smell ( it don't bother me doh)
If used for sh#tting and close it aftherwarts you don't have smells else you do something terribly wrong! Use it for sh#tting only if there's absolutly no other option.
Wonder how it smells driving arround a filled bucket ....? Second thought , better not wonder how it smells....

There is a very funny thread in the Spanish forum about a guy which opened the porta-potty right after crossing a mountaing pass (I've laught a lot reading people's comments and imagining the scene).... just as a summary, whatch the pressure.

I've just got a Popaloo. Not yet tried cos not yet a Cali owner (until a couple of weeks, when I'll take deliver of it). My intention is to use it for what you guys call numbers one and two, trying to use other facilities when available... let see how it works.

Mine one will be a Cali Beach, so no "undersink" space to hide it. Plus I think space in our Calis is precious, so I went for a foldable solution.

Went to Go Outdoors and got a Thetford for £74 after asking for an Internet price match.
They add the internet price to the postage and then beat that by 10%, no quibbles. :bananadance
and hopefully no dribbles!

Last edited:
we use a canadien luggable loo bucket for no1 if desperate we use a supermarket plastic bag over said loo and dispose of it asap

John

I have a thetford 335.

I don't give it it's own home, when on the move it shares the habitation area as I am often on the move without any other loo alternatives being within comfort distances. There are only so many cups of coffee that I can stop for in a day.

When not in use during non-travelling non-sleeping time it serves as a pouffe / spare seat / footstool tucked under it's own padded cover. At night it sits in the corner by the passenger seat conveniently at the end of the bed.

I can normally manage my personal arrangements so that it is mostly used for no 1's. It is there if needed should my management systems fail.

I use Bold Bio washing powder in the flush and dometic capsules in the holding tank and have noticed no disagreeable smells. Dometic, imo, is far better than elsan or thetford for controlling unpleasant aroma's.

By far the more difficult problem when wild or permissive camping is emptying the holding tank. One develops an instinct for spotting remote and deserted public loo's or displaying unusual charm when talking to pub proprietors. Also I have found most campsites to be obliging if you popped into reception and just asked to use the CDP.
Hi GJ
Can you give me some details of the dometic capsules,as in where to purchase, also do you use powder bio in the flush tank because you have found fault with liquid bio,
Thanks
V-tec

Jen, what do you put in the flush tank?
Thanks

As little as possible, it weighs a ton when full ....

ok ... IF I have a Dometic tab in the holding tank then a spot of bold bio (I am allergic to Persil)...

Their is nothing fancy in the pink stuff to justify the price .... Bold Bio with that nice "fresh Laundry" smell is good enough for me to wash my clothes with so it's good enough to wash my Loo.

One thing I do use though are disinfectant wipes ... milton wipes ... that I routinely wipe the kitchen surfaces with and finish up by wiping the loo with it.

I hope you all don't mind my Loo responses, even though they are a bit bog standard ....:oops:

Resurrecting this old thread because our Dometic 972 is now three years old and started to seep where the bowl goes into the seal in the holding tank. Fortunately only pink flush water, because it takes a while to come through and wouldnt normally be a problem, but the little ottoman box we put over it was so tight it had a habit of pressing the flush button and filling the bowl up. :headbang

I wouldn’t recommend the Dometic now because it seems to be impossible to buy new seals for them.

So we’ve bought a Thetford 335 now like most people.

Anyway, while searching for ideas for the Ridgemonkey cooker thing I came across this collapsible loo on a fishing website

https://www.carplife.uk.com/product-page/bivvy-loo

Looks an interesting concept, a bit like the Popaloo I guess. :)

Anyone got one?

Resurrecting this old thread because our Dometic 972 is now three years old and started to seep where the bowl goes into the seal in the holding tank. Fortunately only pink flush water, because it takes a while to come through and wouldnt normally be a problem, but the little ottoman box we put over it was so tight it had a habit of pressing the flush button and filling the bowl up. :headbang

I wouldn’t recommend the Dometic now because it seems to be impossible to buy new seals for them.

Anyway, while searching for ideas for the Ridgemonkey cooker thing I came across this collapsible loo on a fishing website

Anyone got one?
That fisherman’s toilet was on a website called Carp Life........ Carp? Have they spelt that right? Seemed a clever bog though. Sorry!

That fisherman’s toilet was on a website called Carp Life........ Carp? Have they spelt that right? Seemed a clever bog though. Sorry!
Good one! - I just checked, that domain is available! ;)

go to the pub have a pint. have a dump. then leave.squatting In the middle of the van crimping a loaf while the dog looks at you isn't right. and where do you keep the autotrader to read?

go to the pub have a pint. have a dump. then leave.squatting In the middle of the van crimping a loaf while the dog looks at you isn't right. and where do you keep the autotrader to read?
Crimping a what? A loaf?....... uh? Loaf, crimping? What the .......

Anyone got one?

I'm looking for something that I can use when out in the wilds and bio-degradable. A chemical one is not on the list. I cannot dump chemicals just anywhere. The bivvy loo is on the list as well as one mentioned on here for disasters but the search is not good enough unless I know what it was called, which defeats the object.

The Bivvy loo seems to be the cheapest solution for one that may only get used a couple of times a year if that.

Teejay, not sure if this is the one you were thinking of when you mentioned disaster relief but try searching for the PETT toilet system.

Bags are fully degradable. The toliet itself actually feels like sitting on a proper loo with a seat (big plus compared to boginabag), tales seconds to set up (quicker than a popaloo).

Only downside is cost...but it's the best thing we've purchased for the van and no where near the most expensive.

Back