cassette loo

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Which do you use and why that model?
I need one (my bladder is aching)! but I can't decide which. Pros and cons and all that.

What do people do about number two's?

How long do you allow before emptying?

Not a nice thought knowing there is poop in close vicinity

What do people do about number two's?

How long do you allow before emptying?

Not a nice thought knowing there is poop in close vicinity
No number two allowed in our loo! Although they are designed for it and the tank is completely sealed, it's personal thing. If you are away from facilities you could always put it outside in a toilet tent.

Empty it when it's getting heavy, or at the end of the trip, whichever comes first. :)

Our tried and tested method for no2's when wild camping - stretch a pedal bin bag over cassette loo seat, do the necessary into the bag, tie the bag tightly, put tied bag into another bag along with antibacterial hand wipes and put the whole lot into a plastic airtight box( known as 'the poo box'). We store the box well out of the way under the van until we leave, then empty it into a suitable bin as soon as we see one. It doesn't smell and seems a hygienic solution. Hope this doesn't sound too offputting - it really is OK once you get your head round it!

We opted for the popaloo set up, great bit of kit and packs up very flat, also got the pop up tent to go with it.

Yet another tread on a thing many times discussed here , try the search function .
This is something that's difficult to give pro and con's , each has diffrent thoughts on using a portable toilet
My thought : if you want to be independent on your trips you need a toilet whitch you can use at all times ( also inside the Cali) , within hands reach , and useable for 1 and 2's as you brits call it ( we simply say pippi and kaka)
So we got a porta potta sitting under the sink.
Nothing more nothing less

I have checked the search forum and was obviously inept at getting the info I needed! The title to the thread was 'cassette loo'. The specific inquiry was regarding which cassette loo as I had already decided I want one and was not going to use any other method of toileting in the van.
I was mainly after a consensus on which one people prefer and why so that I could assess my options before purchase.
Any advice is gratefully received.
Thank you.

Hi, We used to have a Thetford but we got sick of the chemical smell plus we only used to use it for wild camping or emergencies. We ended up selling the Thetford and purchased a Popaloo at COTF last year, its a great bit of kit as there are no smells, it folds up flat and the bags can be disposed of in normal litter bins.

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/shop/product-category/portable-camping-toilets

I have a thetford 335.

I don't give it it's own home, when on the move it shares the habitation area as I am often on the move without any other loo alternatives being within comfort distances. There are only so many cups of coffee that I can stop for in a day.

When not in use during non-travelling non-sleeping time it serves as a pouffe / spare seat / footstool tucked under it's own padded cover. At night it sits in the corner by the passenger seat conveniently at the end of the bed.

I can normally manage my personal arrangements so that it is mostly used for no 1's. It is there if needed should my management systems fail.

I use Bold Bio washing powder in the flush and dometic capsules in the holding tank and have noticed no disagreeable smells. Dometic, imo, is far better than elsan or thetford for controlling unpleasant aroma's.

By far the more difficult problem when wild or permissive camping is emptying the holding tank. One develops an instinct for spotting remote and deserted public loo's or displaying unusual charm when talking to pub proprietors. Also I have found most campsites to be obliging if you popped into reception and just asked to use the CDP.

Thank you all.

I think that with this thread we are becoming bogged down ...

Sorry :(

I'll get my coat ....

You must admit .... I said it deadpan ....

Well you've got plenty of time to decide, but to summarise your options:-

- Porta Potti 335 - well tried & tested, probably the most widely used
- Dometic 972 - similar to above but has a power flush
- Popaloo - alternative technology
- Other loos you will see in the camping shops
- A bucket with (optional!) lid

And you can keep it:-

- Under the sink
- In the living area disguised as a footstool
- Under the rear bed section

And you can use it:-

- In the living area (day or night)
- Behind the rear bench (day)
- In a tent outside (day or night provided you haven't driven off without it:D)

+1 for Popaloo, if you buy the bags in bulk they work out quite cheap and as mentioned above they can be disposed in a normal litter bin. No smell either

When we were camping last year ( pre cali),
We camped next to a very seasoned Dutch couple with their inflatable tent. Every morning he simply used to empty his orange bucket. The simplicity was inspiring !

When we were camping last year ( pre cali),
We camped next to a very seasoned Dutch couple with their inflatable tent. Every morning he simply used to empty his orange bucket. The simplicity was inspiring !
.....his ORANGE bucket....
That Dutchman has got an eye for details.....:bananadance

Our low tech solution is to use the inner bucket from a Kampa Khazi portable toilet which just fits in the under-bed drawer. It has a lid and is comfortable to sit on unlike most buckets (though we did take off the plastic handle and replace it with a rope one). We also use a piece of foam with a hole cut out to stop it moving about in the drawer when on the move, and one of those stretchy expanding things to keep the lid on tight. With the lower bed down there is still just about enough space to pull the drawer out far enough to sit on the bucket, then just put the lid back on and close the drawer - very discreet. We don't use the outer part which makes it into a full height toilet (you could always take that too and use it in an annexe), but at ÂŁ19.99 it seemed a reasonably priced way of getting the right size and shape of bucket with lid. No flush, obviously. Here's a couple of photos (no, not in use).
Kampa Khazi bucket 2.JPG Kampa Khazi bucket 1.JPG

With the lower bed down there is still just about enough space to pull the drawer out far enough to sit on the bucket, then just put the lid back on and close the drawer - very discreet.
That's a fantastic solution, but us men stand up you know, and after a couple of pints, you know, our aim may not be that good :D

Yes, there is the dreaded splash factor to be taken account of when we chaps are standing up.
I use an old marmalade jar which eliminates any splashing or mis-aiming errors. It does get warm in the hand in use and it is important to avoid overfilling! After use it can then, with care,be poured into the portaloo
I have written about this before, to much merriment I regret to say!

Well logically, us chaps don't even need a loo, just a jam jar by the sliding window. Lets leave this thread to the ladies and start our own about the merits of marmalade vs jam jars etc.

:D

Well, a thread about portable loos is always going to degenerate into this, isn't it? :D

Marmalade Jars, Paddington would be horrified :shocked

Back