Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Control Panel issues

:headwall
Control panel knob, used for roof/fridge etc...spinning. Doesnt grip therefore when trying to put roof down yesterday it woud'nt engage....work.
After fiddling and huge amounts of panic-frustration we managed to get the knob to engage and lowered the roof. BUT we were not in the middle of nowhere which was a blessing and could have been a nightmare for me, other half, kids and dogs. Taking in the VW in Eastbourne for them to 'check it' tomw, who knows how long to repair/replace but we supposed to be off on our travels next week..arrgghhh again :x
So after my dropping door (nut came off) and this I'm getting worried that my 1 year old van(12k) is going to drop to bits after 3 years when the warranty runs out and cost me a flicking fortune!!
Paul
:censor

Paul, I would ask for a Cali as the courtesy vehicle, if they have not got one try and get them to pay for the hire of one.

Martin, I like that thinking. And I intend to push for that tomw. Its all v v v frustrating considering VW s rep for build and the cost of the van!!
I'll let you all know what occurs
:crazy
Paul

our summers are short enough in the UK without losing your Cali for a portion of it,if it was a motorhome you had most dealers will loan another motorhome in your situation, it should be the same with the Cali.

Keep us updated Paul and fingers crossed for you

I find myself in a similar situation Paul. I cannot get into my dealer until next Friday (they're booked up and I'm busy with work) and then when I do get there it's a trip to diagnose and then another trip once they have the part to fit it.

It went in week before last for a steering column, then again later that week for a new awning and there is another trip at sometime to have a faulty door card replaced as the replacement part was damaged on arrival at the dealers when they did the awning.

Given that it's a 100 mile 2.5 hour round trip to the dealer it's not funny. The van only has 3k miles and many of them will be from trips to the dealers at this rate!!

My dealers have been very good, and I couldn't fault them at all. I'm waiting for the outcome of the next visit before I write a strong letter to VWCS because it's frankly unacceptable on a circa £50k vehicle.

Hiya Stu
With you completely. SMG have also been very supportive and helpful.

However, as something we bought for the family to enhance our lifestyle its begining to turn into a headache and frustration!!
:rain
Gutted to be talking this way, I'm forever optimistic and always positive usually but reality is parked outside my house with a damaged door and dodgy control panel.....42k should = no hassles!
Not a rant.....or sob story.....just want to go away with the kids and not have to worry something is going to go wrong...simple really.
Paul

Crikey didn't realise that my original posting would see so many others with a similar issue. I am pleased that ours has been replaced with no quibbles but I have to be honest since the new panel was put in I still don't have absolute 100% confidence in this piece of equipment, at WOMAD at the weekend Loz said on lowering the roof that the button didn't depress first time, now that may be us being sensitive and more aware of this problem but I know that I am going to be keeping a really careful eye on this particular issue in the coming weeks and months.

Have a look at this topic http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=1941

I had the same problem, you will find the spline on the button will probably be cracked.
I temporally repaired mine by cutting a small piece of plastic to to fit between the slot in the button and the slot in the splined shaft of the button.
This needs to be rigid enough to transfer the force of pushing the button, i used the lid from a plastic takeaway container. cut approx. 10mm X 12mm

file.php

I had no end of problems claiming under warrantee as id taken the unit apart to temporally repair it as we were stuck in the middle of wales with the roof up and no mobile signal, but all sorted now with an updated unit.

Hi contacted VWCS today concerning the failed units X2, I asked if they were aware of these units failing, they say they are not? it may be benneficial if all owners who have experienced problems contact them and have the call logged for future reference, this may also enable them to contact Siemens the manufacturer with this failure and improve the unit.

:idea: Are the failed units blue display or grey...or a mixture of both :?:

california180 said:
:idea: Are the failed units blue display or grey...or a mixture of both :?:

Ours is the Grey (I think :?: ) ermmm yes quite sure it is the grey because our old van had the blue display which I have to say was a lot clearer and much nicer than the grey.

Fin

Does anyone know the Siemens part number?

sebking said:
Raise with VW and get a good will gesture. There is enough evidence.
My only problem is that all posts for your vehicles are RHD purchased in UK, mine is LHD puchased in Germany and taken to Portugal and metriculated, i feel i can only go back to VW Germany and use the posts for all those California suffering similar problems.AS a matter of intrest is there any more LHD Californias amongst us or just me Rupee :?:

PaulS said:
Control panel knob, used for roof/fridge etc...spinning. Doesnt grip therefore when trying to put roof down yesterday it woud'nt engage....work.
After fiddling and huge amounts of panic-frustration we managed to get the knob to engage and lowered the roof. BUT we were not in the middle of nowhere which was a blessing and could have been a nightmare for me, other half, kids and dogs. Taking in the VW in Eastbourne for them to 'check it' tomw, who knows how long to repair/replace but we supposed to be off on our travels next week..arrgghhh again :x
So after my dropping door (nut came off) and this I'm getting worried that my 1 year old van(12k) is going to drop to bits after 3 years when the warranty runs out and cost me a flicking fortune!!
Paul
Tell me about it Rupee :sad

PaulS said:
Paul
Paul i have a lot of expertise in renewal of control units i took the vehicle down to our VW dealer in Faro Portugal, the engineer brought the new unit out to car park the job took less than five minutes both times, including changing language from Portuguese to English, so unless you are having other work done you should be off on your travels.Rupee :barmy

Cheer Rupee and all
Taking it in VW Eastbourne tom'w. They reckon half hour to replace. All good, as under warranty. So Weds we are off, couple of days behind schedule but thats fine!
Paul
:thanks

New control unit fitted today. A quick half hour job at the dealers, but 3 hour round trip to get there :laugh2

Stu said:
New control unit fitted today. A quick half hour job at the dealers, but 3 hour round trip to get there :laugh2

Least she sorted fella .... U don't trust anyone local then ..?

I have to say I'm not astounded by a feeling of quality for the new unit either.

Just back from 3 weeks in France. Guess what our concern was/is!!

Rotary control doesn't appear to "bite" as it did when new; it's only 8mths old and done under 5K. I'm going to check it agin tomorrow along with another re-read of this thread but I think Listers will be getting a ring!! We need it for the BH weekend!!

Sounds very similar.

Does the control knob appear to be more 'wobbly' and less precise than before?

Well one week into a three week trip around France it seems I've joined the wobbly knob club!! Control knob quite wobbly and central button doesn't function. Leaving last site after struggling for an age finally gave up with the button and had to drop the roof manually. Roof now secured down with the Velcro straps. Really disappointing as we now can't use the roof at all so can't rough it, basically we have to get all the camping paraphernalia and awning out at every stop. It hasn't quite ruined the holiday but a bit of a dampener on the calli's maiden European adventure. I got in touch with the vw assistance and it's at least a 10 day wait to get it seen so it'll be getting fixed back in the uk. I'd recommend anyone with a wobbly or difficult to use knob to get it sorted prior to leaving the uk. I suppose ours has become more difficult to use over the past month or so, prior to going completely it required an almost two thumb effort

Interesting you have a Berghaus as well Mark, I wonder if it was a bad batch??

Back