Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Central Control Panel issues

F

Fin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have had to take Frank into VW Eynsham to get the central control panel looked at, last week we noticed that the main control selection knob was not working, it sort of appeared stuck, wouldn't depress and thus effectively rendered many of the features controlled from here redundant. The van is only 9 months old so covered by warranty but they said that the whole control panel will have to be taken out and replaced, not sure what has caused this as we are out in the van a lot and have never had a problem with this. Anyone else had issues like this?

I'm confused by what you mean as the central control panel.

The Air Con & Climatronic Panel?

Control panel problems

I reside in Portugal i have a VW California 2006 lhd which i purchased in Germany, 2 date i have had 2 main central control panels, each time the LCD display became unreadable so unable to put pop up roof up or down.To my horror the second control panel has done the same, have i been extremely unlucky, or is there a fault with these components, look forward to hearing from Reg Rolls Portugal

Iain&Shani said:
I'm just guessing here but.... wouldn't it be the pop-up roof, fridge, heating, etc central control panel.

:doh Of course. :rofl

I have to say mine doesn't have a feeling of great quality and I often find myself having to push the knob twice to get it to operate.

Re: Control panel problems

RUPEE said:
I reside in Portugal i have a VW California 2006 lhd which i purchased in Germany, 2 date i have had 2 main central control panels, each time the LCD display became unreadable so unable to put pop up roof up or down.To my horror the second control panel has done the same, have i been extremely unlucky, or is there a fault with these components, look forward to hearing from Reg Rolls Portugal

Hi, Reg

That does sound unlucky :headwall
Hope you manage to get the panel replaced and it's not too expensive.

I've merged this post in with a similar thread from earlier today.
I'm sure someone will chip in if they know more about this issue...

Best wishes,
Steve

Stu said:

IT IS THE MAIN CONTROL PANEL THAT OPERATES POP UP ELECTRIC ROOF,FRIDGE HEATING, ECT IT IS LOCATED DIRECTLY ABOVE DRIVER OR PASSANGER IN BETWEEN SUN VISORS HOPE THAT IS MORE CLEARER

Fin said:
We have had to take Frank into VW Eynsham to get the central control panel looked at, last week we noticed that the main control selection knob was not working, it sort of appeared stuck, wouldn't depress and thus effectively rendered many of the features controlled from here redundant. The van is only 9 months old so covered by warranty but they said that the whole control panel will have to be taken out and replaced, not sure what has caused this as we are out in the van a lot and have never had a problem with this. Anyone else had issues like this?
OUR FIRST ONE WAS CHANGED UNDER WARRANTY, THE SECOND ONE WE PAID FOR OUT HERE ON THE ALGARVE JOLLY EXPENSIVE, AND WE ARE NOW PUTTING IN NUMBER 3 SEEMS ABSURD AS THE VEHICLE IS BARLELY 6 YEARS OLD AND THE VEHICLE IS ONLY USED MAX 3 MONTHS A YEAR AS WE HAVE A SECOND CAR RUPEE

RUPEE said:
Fin said:
OUR FIRST ONE WAS CHANGED UNDER WARRANTY, THE SECOND ONE WE PAID FOR OUT HERE ON THE ALGARVE JOLLY EXPENSIVE, AND WE ARE NOW PUTTING IN NUMBER 3 SEEMS ABSURD AS THE VEHICLE IS BARLELY 6 YEARS OLD AND THE VEHICLE IS ONLY USED MAX 3 MONTHS A YEAR AS WE HAVE A SECOND CAR RUPEE

Christ you've had some rough luck. We went to get it changed today but ho hum...they ordered the wrong part. Nice people at Eynsham but this isn't the first time we've had a wasted journey. Trying to get the well known heater issues sorted out on our previous California was a total waste of time despite printing everything out for them. Doing this msg from my phone and cannot get rid of the words below.

despite me printing everthing

We have just returned from a few days away in the Lake District and have encountered a similar problem for the first time. (The van is just coming up to nine months old) When using the central control panel to raise or lower the roof the select button has failed to work intermittently or when working has to be pressed using both hands.

Stu said:
Iain&Shani said:
I'm just guessing here but.... wouldn't it be the pop-up roof, fridge, heating, etc central control panel.

:doh Of course. :rofl

I have to say mine doesn't have a feeling of great quality and I often find myself having to push the knob twice to get it to operate.
THATS THE ONE I ONLY WISHED I COULD PUSH KNOB TWICE BUT LCD DISPLAY UNREADABLE SO CANNOT FUNCTION AT ALL

wyn said:
We have just returned from a few days away in the Lake District and have encountered a similar problem for the first time. (The van is just coming up to nine months old) When using the central control panel to raise or lower the roof the select button has failed to work intermittently or when working has to be pressed using both hands.
I AM BEGINING TO WONDER IF THERE IS SOME LATENT DEFECT WITH THIS VW COMPONENT AS I AM NOW UP TO NUMBER 3 WHICH SEEMS LUDICROUS AS VEHICLE IS ONLY USED A MAXMIUM OF ABOUT 3 MONTHS A YEAR, AND WE HAVE ANOTHER CAR FOR DAY TO DAY TRIPS

Stu said:

NO CONTROL PANEL THAT OPERATES POP UP ROOF FRIDGE HEATING ECT ECT HOPE THAT IS MORE CLEARER RUPEE

wyn said:
IT DOES MAKE ME THINK THAT THERE IS AN UNDERLYING FAULT WITH PARTS OF THIS COMPONENT, I DO HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THAN US, ALTHOUGH IT SHOULD NOT BE DOWN TO LUCK RUPEE :thanks

Hi, another central control unit failure today, we were packing to head into the lakes today, when we tried to power up the fridge, there was a distinct lack of resistance whilst pressing the control switch, we used the manual button above the rotary switch to power it up, we thought it would be prudent to try and elevate the roof but to no avail.
Called the dealers but no one had any units in stock, so travelled to Leicester ( the supplying dealer) and Anya had Mark a technician check the unit and as expected it had failed, he promptly replaced it and it this failed whilst we were there, mark replaced this one and we are now setting out tomorrow, All credit to Leicester VW. :thumb

Our concern is the California is 6 months old and at £ 500.00 a time this would be a costly repair, VW must know they have a problem.

THANK YOU STEWART WAS BEGINING TO THINK I WAS THE ONLY ONE, I ASSUME YOU HAD THIS REPLACED UNDER WARRANTY, HOPE YOU DO NOT HAVE ANOTHER FAILURE AS I DID, ENJOY YOUR HOLS RUPEE

Hi Rupee,
Yes, no charge as would be expected,very good service at leicester, although we are very disappointed that VW has not announced a recall and an upgrade to find the root cause to this problem.
This is man made and can be eliminated shame on you VW.

Thank you for your reply Rupee :thanks

Our control panel was also replaced promptly and with no charge by Sinclair Van Centre, Cardiff.
Pleased with the service but a shame it was needed after only eight months use - it does suggest there is some underlying problem with the component.

LET ME NO IF IT DOES AS I AM IN THE VERY NEAR FUTURE BE PAYING FOR NUMBER 3 UNIT IT APPEARS A GREAT NUMBER OF MEMBERS ARE EXPIERINGING SIMILAR PROBLEMS WITH FAIRLY NEW VANS MY FIRST ONE WAS UNDER WARRANTY THE SECOND I HAD TO PAY FOR, I WOULD LIKE TO NO VW THOUGHTS ON THIS COMPONENT RUPEE ANY SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE

Raise with VW and get a good will gesture. There is enough evidence.

Back