Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Change Oil

Kirx

Kirx

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Can I top up the Cali oil, I’m touring at the minute and looks like the oil will need changing soonish (900miles), is it ok for me to top up the oil tank, or do I have to take it to a dealer?

You should certainly top up the oil if the level is low on the dipstick, but you won't be able to change the oil unless you also change the oil filter (there is no point changing the oil and not the filter). Unless you have done that before and know what you are doing, you'll probably want to have that done by a dealer as part of a service.

Presuming your question relates to the impending oil service
Topping up the oil will not extend the “service interval”
Agree with VD,
the oil should be maintained between the marks on the dip stick, over filling oil may result in damage to the engine.

Thank you very much for your reply, so could I top the oil up and then take it to my dealer when I get back home in a few weeks? What oil is best? Sorry, for such basic questions haven’t had it long, had a T5 conversion previously and that is what I’d do with that, but the Cali maybe different.

Many thanks for your post. I’m away at the minute and would prefer to take the van to my own dealer for the oil service. The oil service light isn’t on yet, but anticipating it may go on during my trip, was just wondering if topping oil up be ok whilst away, until I’m back home in a few weeks. Or should I contact a van centre whilst I am away?

5w 30 long life oil

Something like this

Are you likely to exceed the 600 mile oil service notification, if your not likely to exceed the 600 miles by much, no problem just don’t Do thousands of miles over the indicated oil service.

330035DD-6D01-4DDA-8C58-032B2C6A9FE6.jpeg

Ok, that’s really helpful. I’m not sure, the oil service light hasn’t come on yet, but was playing with the buttons whilst driving yesterday and noticed it was due in 800miles. I usually do about £3k on my trips, so at least I have some idea what is safe to do. When the light comes on I’m ok for 600miles, is that right?

Can I top up the Cali oil, I’m touring at the minute and looks like the oil will need changing soonish (900miles), is it ok for me to top up the oil tank, or do I have to take it to a dealer?
I suggest you check the oil level and see if you are particularly low or not. Only top up if it is low and as said above no harm in going slightly over the suggested oil change interval. Just check your oil level and top up if required.
Enjoy your trip!

I suggest you check the oil level and see if you are particularly low or not. Only top up if it is low and as said above no harm in going slightly over the suggested oil change interval. Just check your oil level and top up if required.
Enjoy your trip!
Thank you for your help

Simple rules as to which oil to use, in your handbook you should find a specification for the oil usually beginning VW 50........ relating to your particular engine. You can top up with any reputable make of oil that shows that specification on the container. NEVER over fill the sump with oil, there is a significant risk of catalytic converter / DPF damage, you don't even want to ask the cost of that!
Your original post does intrigue me a little as you mention an 'oil tank', there is no 'tank' involved with the engine oil so are you sure it is the engine oil that you are referring to?
The only 'tanks' that are visible are one for the brake fluid and one for the power steering fluid, these obviously have very different fluids and if either is low you should investigate the reason urgently.

I think the question is more to do do with how many miles are you intending to do before returning home for a Dealer Service.
Also relevant is how many miles or months done since last service.

Back