Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First oil change

Sonas

Sonas

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi All
When I picked up my cali November 2017 the dealer said first service after 40,000 k, but also recommended first oil change at 20,000. Ive done 18,000 so I asked how much it would cos t= 400 Swiss francs about £316.
First of all is it necessary to change the oil at 20,000 and what do you pay on average for an oil change in the UK. Thanks

Sonas

Sonas, why not change it yourself? It's not too difficult on a 150ps.

You should of course change the filter at the same time. Do ensure that you use the correct oil which I suspect should be VW Long Life III to spec VW 504 00/507 00. Service Interval Reminder should be reset which is a job for someone with VCDS (Vagcom), I don't know if there are any forum members in Switzerland with such software.

My last oil and filter cost less than £30 from genuine VW sources. i.e. genuine VW parts which in if used in the UK do not have any detrimental effects on a warranty. I think your dealer is having a laugh for a simple oil change even at Swiss prices.

I Change it every year but do less than 10,000 Miles a year, cost me about £59 last time including filter

On a +50.000€/£ car a 200/300€/£ oil change (allthough this is more the price of a service)every year is a no brainer .
Just oil would be cheaper.
Guess prices in Swiss ar higher than rest of europe ?
Just have your Cali serviced and checked by a good dealer , even just for piece of mind!
My personal view....

Last edited:
Don’t scrimp and save - you just spent how much.......get it served as VW “rules” and your van will continue to give you excellent service. If you scrimp and save and something goes wrong you end up going to a dealer and risk you have invalidated the warranty and then it could be a very big ouch!!! ( in your wallet!)

I'm with Rod on this Sonas,
I change engine oil and filter myself, always have, once a year or at 10,000 miles, whichever comes soonest. Invest in a set of sturdy ramps, Two bricks to go behind the rear wheels and supplement the handbrake, once the front wheels are driven up onto the ramp, a 1/4 inch socket set for the under shield screws (I think 10mm socket) A spanner or socket for the drain plug, and a 1/2 inch drive ratchet + extension bar, and the large socket for the top of the filter cap (Halfords) which carries the replaceable filter element, (sorry can't recall size), a pair of disposable gloves, paper kitchen roll, couple of pedal bin bags, a two gallon B&Q bucket. Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 ESP, The replacement filter element will come boxed with two rubbers seals and sometimes an alloy or copper sump plug washer. (VW agents, or Europarts). Run your van once round the block to stir up any sediment in the sump, up in the air, ... Loose and unscrew the filter cap completely, lift it, leave it loose in position but don't remove it yet, slide underneath and remove all those little under shield screws and the lightweight plastic under shield. Gloves on, Bucket at the ready, undo the sump plug at the bottom rear of the sump, the old oil is thin and will come out quickly, position bucket leave to drain, will take about five minutes, if you leave to drain overnight you will be rewarded with cleaner oil for a short period after refill, ... up top, carefully withdraw plastic filter cap and attached filter, it will have drained by now and won't drip 'too much' , take to bench, cover cap and filter with a pedal bin liner, pull hard to release the paper filter element, wipe down the plastic filter cap, replace both rubber seals, fully push on the new filter element, back to van replace the filter cap, screw up until it nips just tight, underneath replace sump plug with new copper or alloy washer if you have one, nip up 'just tight' don't go mad it's into a soft alloy thread. replace the undershield, see its designed to fit easier than you might think, fill up with your new oil, take your time as it will take awhile to percolate down to the sump and 'steady' on the dipstick. Start engine, check for oil pressure light going off after few seconds, check for leaks around the filter cap, top up perhaps a cupful of extra oil now the filter housing has refilled. Control the intense feeling of satisfaction, down to Asda for a bottle of bubbles ... All the tools and materials above will come to less that 100 notes, a speedy oil and filter change can be done in 40 minutes by man, woman or boy ..

Sonas, why not change it yourself? It's not too difficult on a 150ps.

You should of course change the filter at the same time. Do ensure that you use the correct oil which I suspect should be VW Long Life III to spec VW 504 00/507 00. Service Interval Reminder should be reset which is a job for someone with VCDS (Vagcom), I don't know if there are any forum members in Switzerland with such software.

My last oil and filter cost less than £30 from genuine VW sources. i.e. genuine VW parts which in if used in the UK do not have any detrimental effects on a warranty. I think your dealer is having a laugh for a simple oil change even at Swiss prices.
Service reset is in the handbook, a case of pressing buttons on the steering wheel or dash.

Yes but then you revert to fixed service interval, if it's done with VCSD etc. you can maintain variable service interval.

Just a word of advice when changing your oil and filter yourself yes it’s always a good idea to change the engine oil and filter however make sure you use genuine vw parts not parts from a factor like Euro or gsf. If your engine fails and it’s found non vw parts were used then your warranty could be void. On the point of servicing then the national pricing is £145+vat for your first service. The service light can come on anytime after 15000km up to 50000km depending on driving style or upto 2 years.

Mine is set for long service interval, 20K miles. t came up with a 28 day to oil change indication at 11 months (counted down each day), 7,500 miles roughly done at the time.
Bought genuine oil filter and correct log life grade Castrol oil which my local garage changed for me , all for done for approx £100.

Mine is set for long service interval, 20K miles. t came up with a 28 day to oil change indication at 11 months (counted down each day), 7,500 miles roughly done at the time.
Bought genuine oil filter and correct log life grade Castrol oil which my local garage changed for me , all for done for approx £100.

That sounds more like fixed service intervals as they come up at 10,000 miles or 12 months as far as I know. Suggest you get someone with VCDS to check for you if you don't have it yourself of course.

The T6 definitely seems to need the oil changed much more frequently if going by the Oil Service indicator on the MFD, than the T5.1.

On my 2014, now showing 73456 miles, oil changed at 60,000, the MFD is showing 7350 to next Oil Change.

Is it anything to do with DPF regeneration, which also seems to be more frequent as well on the T6.
The only way I know a DPF regeneration is happening is that Stop/Start is suspended and the idle revs are a little higher.

The T6 definitely seems to need the oil changed much more frequently if going by the Oil Service indicator on the MFD, than the T5.1.

On my 2014, now showing 73456 miles, oil changed at 60,000, the MFD is showing 7350 to next Oil Change.

Is it anything to do with DPF regeneration, which also seems to be more frequent as well on the T6.
The only way I know a DPF regeneration is happening is that Stop/Start is suspended and the idle revs are a little higher.

Yes that’s exactly why, to meet Euro 6 emission limits the vehicles regenerate more causing the oil to degrade faster.

So should I go with the 2 year 40.000k 1st Service or just change the oil at 20,000. Everything is double the price in Switzerland so I’m used to crazy prices for car servicing. But £316 for an oil and filter change seems high even by Swiss standards. The quote is from a VW main dealer.

Yes that’s exactly why, to meet Euro 6 emission limits the vehicles regenerate more causing the oil to degrade faster.
So those owners of a T6 who have the Oil Service request far short of 20,000 miles, when on Long Service, and query it with the Dealership and get the answer “ Pop in and well reset it for you “ are being misled. The Oil should be changed.

So should I go with the 2 year 40.000k 1st Service or just change the oil at 20,000. Everything is double the price in Switzerland so I’m used to crazy prices for car servicing. But £316 for an oil and filter change seems high even by Swiss standards. The quote is from a VW main dealer.

If your Cali is indicating a oil service is due then it’s wise not to ignore it but get your dealer to check that it’s coded to variable servicing. Also get then to check and tell you what the oil soot and thermal loads are before they service it. All fleet companies ask for this to be checked in the uk before one of there vehicles are serviced. Depending on the type of driving you do and your own personal driving style the figures will be different but if either figure given to you over 25000Km’s then get the oil changed.

So those owners of a T6 who have the Oil Service request far short of 20,000 miles, when on Long Service, and query it with the Dealership and get the answer “ Pop in and well reset it for you “ are being misled. The Oil should be changed.

Depends on what is showing on the dash remember everything after 2015 T6 the dash changed to indicate either an oil service, an service or an oil inspection service. The oil is variable depending on driving style and use of vehicle. The inspection service is set to come on every year regardless of oil quality the inspection service alone does not have the oil changed. A lot of dealers will be servicing the vehicles according to vwuk service regime which is a minor service (oil change) and a major service( all filters, full inspection and an oil change) so the inspection light becomes redundant and the oil service light is what we go by. Hope that makes sence the world of vw servicing is a nightmare so many different regimes depending on country.

Depends on what is showing on the dash remember everything after 2015 T6 the dash changed to indicate either an oil service, an service or an oil inspection service. The oil is variable depending on driving style and use of vehicle. The inspection service is set to come on every year regardless of oil quality the inspection service alone does not have the oil changed. A lot of dealers will be servicing the vehicles according to vwuk service regime which is a minor service (oil change) and a major service( all filters, full inspection and an oil change) so the inspection light becomes redundant and the oil service light is what we go by. Hope that makes sence the world of vw servicing is a nightmare so many different regimes depending on country.
Nothing is showing in the dash yet. I’m just wondering should I wait till the service light comes on or change the oil anyway at 20,000.

Nothing is showing in the dash yet. I’m just wondering should I wait till the service light comes on or change the oil anyway at 20,000.

Personally I would wait the oil sensor in the sump is very accurate when it comes to oil degradation. The Euro 6 engine has a run in oil pressure up to 1500miles (2400km) the oil pressure in the engine runs at a constant 7bar to protect the engine. Then after that it goes variable as the engine is run in. So my advice would be trust what the vehicle tells you.

Well I don’t trust any of it! Oil change every 10K miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. If you are doing low mileage (like many Calis) it’s even more important to drop the oil. It’s such an insignificant cost in the scheme of things (maybe not in Switzerland!).

That's what I got from the Dealer but did an oil/filter change regardless of the Dealer's offer to reset it.

Why not drive to the UK and get a cheaper service at a VW dealer and have yourself a holiday!!

Hello Sonas,
in your MFA (bordcomputer) you can see how many km/days to the next OILSERVICE and next INSPECTION.
The oilservice distance depends on your ridind style (many coldstarts, high rev's, etc..).
The inspection is after 40.000 km or 2 years, whatever happens first.
Regards.

Anyone know how to get oil filter off 2015 180 ? I tried but couldn’t budge it . Not easy to get at either .

Back