Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing entertainment system to leisure battery

I did a guide on how to wire it to the leisure battery. Still goes off after 20 minutes but at least it wont flatten your starter battery. I think I have a solution on how to bypass the canbus but not tried it yet. Incidentally I didn't do this until it was out of warranty.
Scroll down the thread.

I would just wire a couple amps trickle charger into the dashboard socket.

This is what you need, apparently - although I have not fitted myself

I’m fitting an aftermarket stereo to my Cali and want to run a switch like above.

Question is, do I need to run the positive cable all the way tot the leisure battery under the seat, or is there a leisure battery feed in the main fuse box under the stereo?

Looks like that just connects the power to a live feed. Tha Canbus will still turn it off after twenty minutes.

Looks like that just connects the power to a live feed. Tha Canbus will still turn it off after twenty minutes.

It’s an aftermarket unit rather than the VW one.

The actual harness I’ll be fitting is this one

What I’m trying to figure out if I need to run the power all the way to the seat / leisure battery or if I can take a feed near the stereo (fuse box)

I thought the top cigarette lighter ran off the leisure battery - if so there must be leisure power somewhere near where you need it….

It’s an aftermarket unit rather than the VW one.

The actual harness I’ll be fitting is this one

What I’m trying to figure out if I need to run the power all the way to the seat / leisure battery or if I can take a feed near the stereo (fuse box)
Looks like it should do the job then. What is the handbrake mute for? I don't think you will find a leisure battery feed in the front anywhere. Could be wrong. I just ran a cable from the underseat battery under the doorstep and up behind the dash.

Looks like it should do the job then. What is the handbrake mute for? I don't think you will find a leisure battery feed in the front anywhere. Could be wrong. I just ran a cable from the underseat battery under the doorstep and up behind the dash.

I’ll give it a go.

I don’t need the handbrake / mute. I do need ignition live & reverse from the Canbus, reverse in case I choose to run a rear view camera

I had to take our Ocean to the garage and took the opportunity to switch the wiring from main battery to the leisure one, in particular the one under the driver's seat. In our case, it now stops after 30 mins, not 20 as it did before the change. Has anybody experienced this?

I don't know whether to ask for this limit to be removed, or just live with it. After all, our objectives were two. First, feed the radio from leisure battery, and second, avoid having to carry more devices, when the van has a fantastic sound system.

I had to take our Ocean to the garage and took the opportunity to switch the wiring from main battery to the leisure one, in particular the one under the driver's seat. In our case, it now stops after 30 mins, not 20 as it did before the change. Has anybody experienced this?

I don't know whether to ask for this limit to be removed, or just live with it. After all, our objectives were two. First, feed the radio from leisure battery, and second, avoid having to carry more devices, when the van has a fantastic sound system.
Sounds like a sensible move, to avoid having to keep pressing the on button. If your on hookup, no need for the 30 min switch off so I’m following this potato’s l fix with interest.

In my experience the dealers won't do this. Its all to do with the Canbus settings so the only way to do it is to delve into the bus settings or discoonectvthe cantus from the unit in which case you could lisr other functions.

Back