Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Changing from Factory fitted RCD 310 without bluetooth or DAB, to VW-006 unit.

normg

normg

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all. Considering doing the above upgrade. Have been advised by Preston-ICE who can provide the unit that head is a compatible fit with the unit already fitted to my 2014 year Cali SE. They also suggest that wiring is no problem either. Advice would be very much appreciated before I make a decision. Many thanks in advance. Norm.

Thanks for that. Will check it out.
I've just fitted one from Preston ICE this evening.- very easy and will properly test over the weekend. I have just sent back an identical looking unit from A-Sure (the one mentioned in the T5 forum) as the sat nav kept crashing. Otherwise it was a good unit and I may have just been unlucky as several others seem happy.
Will let you know how I get on but so far so good other than a dodgy radio reception which is aerial related and hopefully easily sorted.

Many thanks Marshian70. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Regards. Norm.

Many thanks Marshian70. Looking forward to hearing how you get on.
Regards. Norm.
OK been playing with the unit again this evening so here is an update. Physical installation is easy, plenty on online 'how to's' for access to remove but happy to provide details of needed.
What is more difficult however is positioning of the sat nav receiver. I spoke to Chris at Preston ICE today and he recommends putting it in the passenger side A pillar behind the trim, so I need to spend some time working out how to remove this at the weekend. At present the receiver is behind the glove box and every so often it looses satellite reception. Positioning in the A pillar I am advised will address this. Otherwise sat nav is good. I wonder now if this might have been the issue with my previous A-Sure unit, but too late now.
More of an issue at present is radio reception. Whilst DAB upgrades are possible, as my van does not have DAB, I decided to stick with FM as I listen to iPod more than radio anyway. VW aerials are housed in the door mirrors and are 'powered' by the standard VW head units. With aftermarket units, the power still needs to be provided to get a decent FM/AM radio reception. This requires an adapter lead which I have ordered today. Hopefully this will solve the current reception issues!
It's a bit frustrating as i'm keen to get the job finished and hoped to avoid further trim removal, but hopefully the end is in sight.
Assuming all works as planned, then the unit really is good VFM compared to the RNS510 retrofit or other brand alternatives.

Many thanks for that Marshian70. You've given me lots more to think about.
OK well this evening with a little trepidation I decided to remove the A pillar trim. Actually it was quite straight forward and everything was off and back in place within 30 mins.
Just leaves the radio aerial left to sort when the part arrives. This is an issue with all aftermarket units.
Been playing with Wifi this evening and it works well, picking up house wifi or tethering to my iPhone.
More to follow

How did you get on in the end? Have you sorted the aerial adapter lead? Did it come from Preston ICE. Was it easy to fit? Does it require a 12v supply from somewhere else?
Finally, and perhaps most importantly for me - How would this unit integrate if you already have VW bluetooth installed, complete with vw mic etc?
Thanks
Rich

How did you get on in the end? Have you sorted the aerial adapter lead? Did it come from Preston ICE. Was it easy to fit? Does it require a 12v supply from somewhere else?
Finally, and perhaps most importantly for me - How would this unit integrate if you already have VW bluetooth installed, complete with vw mic etc?
Thanks
Rich
Hi yes all installed with aerial adaptor lead. 12v feed taken from the connector to the head unit. The guy from Preston ICE did this for me before sending.
Even with the adaptor, the radio reception is still not brill TBH. It is fine most of the time but occasionally it breaks up a bit. Most of the time we listen to iPod anyway, which works great.
Otherwise seems a good unit for what it cost and it looks factory with the benefit of wifi so you can use spotify or Internet radio if desired.
The unit has its own internal mic which works fine. I don't know if you can plug in the VW one or not, suspect not so if I were you I'd probably just leave it in place in case you ever want to reinstall the existing head unit.
Hope this helps
Cheers
Ross

Just thought I would add something on the DAB 310 fitted to mine having bought a second hand unit on the forum. The after market DAB aerial works well and I have not powered the antenna (after market) and have no issues; If i take a direct comparison to the factory fit on my wife's BMW. i.e. they suffer from drop out probably slightly more in the VW comparing areas we drive round but the cut across to FM feature works and whilst it can be slightly annoying it does the job. Antenna fitted on nr side run through door pillar trim, behind glove box to radio.