Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Charging E bike batteries

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I have a 375W battery for my ebike. My 2009 Cali has the standard inverter which I propose to use for charging the battery. The manual is unclear to me as to whether I can charge the battery using this. I think I can charge whilst travelling but I would also like to charge whilst stopped but not on a hook up? Ignoring the inverter, a hook up is the obvious solution however they are not always available. I have 2 new 100A leisure batteries fitted. I attach pics of the "spec label" of the battery and charger. Any advice appreciated.

smghuq.jpg

ruqxw0.jpg

Thanks, is there a way I can perhaps interrupt the circuit to slow things down and charge for longer at a lower rate?

The chargers seem to be specific to the batteries as I think there may be compatibility issues if others are used?

Check if there is a travel charger for your bike. I've had a Haibike and Specialized Turbo Levo, and both manufacturers supply travel chargers.

They charge at a slower rate, so pull less current.

Thanks, I currently have an enquiry out following the useful advice above.

Tom

Use the pedals? Just puttin it out there....

Check if there is a travel charger for your bike. I've had a Haibike and Specialized Turbo Levo, and both manufacturers supply travel chargers.

Deccauk, my dealer says they are not available for Focus Jam2. Would it not be feasible to insert an additional circuit between the inverter and the charger to ensure the flow is reduced to a level that the inverter could deal with safely?

Tom

I think the only way of charging from the leisure batteries, assuming you can't find a 12V charger for your battery type, is to connect your charger to an inverter, about 500W, which is connected directly to one of the leisure batteries (the 12v sockets in the van wouldn't cope with the current needed). I've tested my Focus charger connected to a 500W inverter connected to a 12V battery, and while charging it draws 17A from the 12V battery.

I've not tried in the van yet, as I've had EHU and just used the 240V.

Charging a 375Wh bike battery from empty will take between 35Ah and 40Ah from the California leisure batteries.

I think the only way of charging from the leisure batteries, assuming you can't find a 12V charger for your battery type, is to connect your charger to an inverter, about 500W, which is connected directly to one of the leisure batteries (the 12v sockets in the van wouldn't cope with the current needed). I've tested my Focus charger connected to a 500W inverter connected to a 12V battery, and while charging it draws 17A from the 12V battery.

I've not tried in the van yet, as I've had EHU and just used the 240V.

Charging a 375Wh bike battery from empty will take between 35Ah and 40Ah from the California leisure batteries.

Interesting, thanks. My Cali has a Eurosocket directly connected to the factory fitted inverter however I don't think it is man enough for the job. The drain on the leisure batteries (2 x 100Ah) you suggest in the area of 40Ah should be okay as they are both new. Perhaps I need to upgrade the fitted inverter to 500W, I seem to recall the standard one is 300W?

Tom

This company are very helpful https://www.electricbikesales.co.uk/bristolstore I bought an electric bike and also a charger to charge it from a 12V source in the Cali. The shop manager is a very hands-on person and does electric conversions on Bromptons, etc. They are part of a National chain so there may be a shop near you.

If your built-in inverter is the same as mine, it's only 150W which is why I considered a stand alone 500W inverter. I might consider upgrading the existing inverted when the warranty runs out.

If your built-in inverter is the same as mine, it's only 150W which is why I considered a stand alone 500W inverter. I might consider upgrading the existing inverted when the warranty runs out.
Yes it probably is the same as yours but no warranty issues! Would a 500w inverter be the one to go for?
Tom

Yes it probably is the same as yours but no warranty issues! Would a 500w inverter be the one to go for?
Tom

Your charger states a max current of 2A + 240V giving 480W. Mine states the same, but typically runs at around 240W when charging but probably peaks higher.

Bear in mind that a 500W inverter running flat out will draw around 50A from your 12v system so if you plan to upgrade the exiting inverter you will also need to upgrade the wiring and fuses to the inverter otherwise things will start to smoke! A lot safer to go for the stand-alone solution connected directly to the battery.

Your charger states a max current of 2A + 240V giving 480W. Mine states the same, but typically runs at around 240W when charging but probably peaks higher.

Bear in mind that a 500W inverter running flat out will draw around 50A from your 12v system so if you plan to upgrade the exiting inverter you will also need to upgrade the wiring and fuses to the inverter otherwise things will start to smoke! A lot safer to go for the stand-alone solution connected directly to the battery.
Thanks for your helpful response. It is probably not worth the risk and I can make sure I am on a hook up for the few times the situation arises.
Tom

For what it's worth. I charge my 500w Bosch e-bike battery via a 300w inverter from the leisure batteries. I installed a trailing (fused) 35A socket to the battery under the seat then just connect the inverter when needed. Normally aim to do the charging when driving but also have 200w solar that will almost keep up with what's going into the bike battery in good weather. My charger also states 2A in but also never seen it draw much more than 200w ~1A @230V. To keep house batteries topped up if I'm not going to drive and it's not sunny I'll start the engine for 30mins after an hour or so of charging once the bulk of the charge has gone in.

What do you think about the Levo...?

Back on topic, surely the solar route is the way forward for your needs

I am now thinking of fitting a larger 600w pure sinewave inverter, can this replace the 150w standard VW one? I am also thinking of a solar panel top up system - mostly due to good prices at Maplin. Any advice appreciated.
Tom

No, the 150w factory inverter is tiny and is on the back of the socket in the trim panel and the supply wiring will be too small.
You need to mount it under the seat close to the leisure battery with decent cables and appropriate fuse.